Retro Review: Paradise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TrekToday, Jun 9, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sisko and O’Brien crash on a planet settled by humans who have rejected technology, led by a charismatic woman who will tolerate no dissent. Plot Summary: While on a survey for Starfleet seeking habitable planets, Sisko and O’Brien discover an M class planet that already appears to have humans living on the surface, but a [...]

More...

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I like this episode, if only for the fact that Sisko shows how tough he is.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

One of my issues with the episode, is that I find it hard to believe with a population that must be nearing a Trillion within the Federation that the Antogonist (Alixus) couldn't find enough people who would volunteer to live without technology and had to resort to the methods she did.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Sisko is a badass in this one.

I find it absurd that the colonists weren't more angry with the woman who deliberately stranded them there. You'd think one of them would have had to be restrained from trying to kill her.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Or at the very least almost incandescent with rage.

6. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the point Alixus was wanting to make was humankind could succeed with her ideals without even realizing it. Sure, it's possible to revert to a base society if you wanted to, but what if you didn't? Can you overcome the over-reliance of modern technology if forced to?

Yeah, that's rather flawed thinking itself, but then Alixus never was portrayed as being in the right either.