Steven Spielberg to Direct Robopocalypse

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It really wasn't.

2. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Hmm. Weird. As a lover of both film and science fiction, and knowing how few thoughtful science fiction films exist, I honestly believe that both A.I and Minority Report are two of the most compelling, intelligent, and layered science fiction films I've ever seen. And War of the Worlds, like Jurassic Park, is a most entertaining and terrifying bit of nonsense, which, when done well, is always welcome. Oh well. To each his own. I also believe that Munich was a masterpiece. So, when Spielberg is on, he still creates stuff as wonderful as when he was younger, as far as I'm concerned.

And true, a robot uprising hardly feels original (haven't Terminator and BSG basically covered all that?), which leads me to believe there's something different about the way this book handles it. There must be - otherwise, Spielberg would likely not have chosen to do it (he turns down easy successes like Harry Potter all the time, as a director.)

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the first of a few Robot movies coming down the pipe...Jack Black is attached to something called "How to Survive a Robot Uprising" that was just announced a couple weeks ago.

4. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Even when Spielberg is off his game his films are at least entertaining. He's earned my trust for life.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hardly. He did a great deal better than that.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050628/REVIEWS/50606007/1023

He did, however, reference a great deal of Spielberg's previous work in eviscerating the thing on the basis of story logic and plot.

Ebert's one of a dying breed - American movie reviewers who know something about film and the history of film, have lived lives and don't think bloviating into a webcam for posting to YouTube constitutes a body of work.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ebert's reviews are must reads for me. I don't always agree with Roger but respect his ability to break down a film and give me a sense of his thoughts on it and that's really all I care about with a review.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You left out the rest of the list. Compared to them, it was.

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't become a decent film just because you put it in a list with a few terrible ones. It may be a better film, but not a decent one.

9. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're leaving out the fact that the only films in contention in my post are the films in my post. Decent film is in comparison to the rest listed, not the rest of all creation.

And considering that AVP is better than about half of all films made, that makes it a decent film. At least compared to half of all films made.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ Abrams is already regretting they didn't cast Hemsworth as James Kirk.

12. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pine is the perfect Kirk. After all will be said and done, 10 years down the road, Pine will be a bigger star than Hemsworth. I do like them both though.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

From the article:

Bueno, I say. I'd rather see another movie from the Munich/Lincoln Spielberg than one from the War of the Worlds/KOTCS Spielberg any day, even if the latter did give us Tintin.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral