Smallville Summer Hiatus Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jun 6, 2009.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^

Ssssuuuuhhh ... Whaaaa? :crazy:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You are imagining my postings, they are not real, I am an acid flash back from that Pink Floyd laser light show at the planetarium you went to 20 years ago.

You know, the one where you met her.

3. CorporalClegg

The pre-pube Lana?

You're right. I met her somewhere between "Young Lust" and "See Emily Play."

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

An adult Clark Kent, yes. A young Clark Kent, not necessarily.

Young Clark has been depicted many times over the years as either wearing glasses or not.

It has never been written in stone one way or another and has fluctuated over time.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Nevertheless, it should be expected when auditioning for the role. You certainly shouldn't wave female audience reaction in the producers' faces and start talking about contractual clauses when they ask you to do it for one episode.

Brandon Routh was in a similar position to Welling - playing Superman does carry a risk of typecasting. Did he refuse to wear the glasses ? No.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You cannot compare SR to Smallville in this case. Yes, it deals with the same character, but at different points in his life (also different continuities...but that's now what this conversation is about). Routh would have expected to wear glasses for his role. Welling, not so much.

It could be argued that M&G didn't really want Clark in the glasses when forming the series, which appealed to Welling. I am sure NX has more knowledge than both of us on this.

In any case, the point is moot. Clark wears the glasses to hide his identity as Superman. Since Clark won't be Superman (until maybe the last episode, if that), he has no reason to wear glasses.

7. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Didn't he wear glasses in one episode?

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yes, he did, and through this board I've learned that Welling waved the apparently negative female reaction in the faces of the show's producers.

He apparently doesn't like wearing suits with a tie either. I can't believe that's due to negative reaction from women.

9. Guy Gardener

There was also an episode where he had a vagina.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Given the fact that he's spent 8 years ignoring Chloe I'd say those episodes are the norm. :shifty:

11. Guy Gardener

Clark's not ignoring that sweet little blonde thing. He's just pursing her at negative speed.

12. CorporalClegg

Does that come before or after Ludicrous Speed?

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They dropped the ball with the Clark/Chloe romance potential. Just like they dropped the ball with Clark/Lana by having the two of them break up and then get back together. They should have at least explored the possibilty of a relationship between those two other than Clark telling Chloe that he "only thinks of her as a friend" and Chloe accepting it. Although she didn't accept that during season three when she agreed to investigate Clark on Lex's behalf (we know what that got her).

14. Guy Gardener

Remember how they got together in Lexmas?

If that was "magic angels working for destiny" rather than a dream... It is completely possibly that they are capable of living happily ever after.

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I felt that the potential of a Clark/Chloe romance could have, and should have been examined a bit more deeply after the events of 'Vessel' (where she layed one on him, big-time). I just re-watched the ep recently on DVD and that sure didn't seem like a kiss between friends. Instead, what we got in the next ep was the Wholesome Olsen.

Ah, the roads not taken!

16. Guy Gardener

This is why people have to invent sliding technology.

In some early the Authority comics they started sharing boot leg recordings of "not dead in that reality" rock stars cross dimensionally because it's just a bloody good idea... "I got the copy of Elvis and Jim Morrison singing smells like teen spirit, gosh they became fat bastards."

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah Post Vessel was a perfect opening for them to develop a romance, Lana was with Lex, Lois and Clark hadn't been developed yet, we knew that it would eventually happen...a half a season arc of them together would be nice instead of back tredding with a lame excuse from Chloe that she kissed him because she thought everyone was going to die. I actually thought they should have got together back after going to junior prom together...but then the damn tornado hit and Clark had to go save Lana.

18. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I think the original plan was for Chloe/Clark following Vessel, with Jimmy just being an obstacle to that. Clark didn't seem too happy when Chloe just brushed off the kiss, and was at some points visibly uncomfortable at the idea of Chloe and Jimmy together.

But then the plan changed (I hear because TPTB thought it'd be the last season, ha!) and we got Clana again.

19. CorporalClegg

That was back in the days when I actually thought Milfred were going to have Chloe = Lois Lane; i.e., Lois dies and Chloe uses it as a pen-name.

From an in-house canon standpoint, it made a lot of sense.

20. Guy Gardener

Or there was an accident and they intergrated? Souls and all.