New To Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Garren, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Garren

Garren Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's my first time watching anything from Voyager. I was watching through DS9 and by the time I hit season 4, I had to stop. It's a well produced show but I just can't get into it. Some of the characters just don't click with me. I'm very surprised with Voyager so far. I've enjoyed it out of the box. The Maquis drama, the tension with Neelix, the episodic mysteries... It seems more interesting. I like that, so far, the writer's haven't forgotten the ship is on limited resources so it's nice to see that they don't use replicators and they've mentioned things like "we can't replicate these, we have to find a way to reproduce them" or something similar. I like I like the "ship drama" better than the "space station worm hole" drama.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you intentionally trying to start another war with the forum next door?

PEOPLE DIED!

We need to talk them down before they start pooping in envelopes.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately that one occurred during the first four seasons. Seasons Five to Seven really forgot that part.

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome, Garren! I love VOY, and I hope you do, too!

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Seasons 4-7 are where is gets really good... Season 5 is it's highest point IMO. Don't stop! You just got to Seven of Nine and awesome version of the Doctor!

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Voyager is great! Good thing they only made 60 episodes. If they had tried to make, say, 170 of them they would have run out of good ideas and had to resort to lame holodeck stories and absurd premises, like, say, a method of propulsion that could get you home but causes you to then mutate into some lizard or something. Also they would have had to do a lot of stories where characters focus on their core character flaw and learn a lesson which they completely forget by the next episode. They also probably would have resorted to way too many time travel episodes, way too many episodes where the crew almost finds a shortcut home but then loses it because of morality or because it was all a trick or something, and countless TNG cameos.

Good thing they only did 60 so they never ran out of original ideas.

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't want to reveal too much because it would ruin the fun for Garren but Voyager's seasons 1-3 are excellent, especially season 2.

Season 4-7...........well, let's discuss it another day. :(

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

To quote Futurama "You remember, 79 episodes, maybe 30 or 40 good ones..."

Even the very best TV shows have duff episodes, I'd rather watch Threshold than the sodding Kardashians any day. Mind you I'd rather have rectal surgery than watch them.

9. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you are in the wrong place if you're saying you don't like Voyager. Season 1 was a little meh for me but a lot of times first season shows are bumpy. Season two was great!

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of the episodes are perfect threads in a perfect tapestry of perfection.

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager was mostly bad Trek, sometimes excessively bad Trek. Which still made it more worthwhile to view than 90% of what makes it to TV. I beat up on the show, but it's still family. ;)

12. JirinPanthosa

Voyager had 50 or 60 quality episodes but the ones that weren't good tended to be mediocre at best. And it's particularly frustrating just seeing all the missed opportunities to be an be an even better show, always opting for the risk averse overuse of throwaway tropes over thematic storytelling.

Yes, even the bad episodes were better than the majority of network TV, but this is the Netflix age. We have better choices now. ;)

I would recommend to new viewers always to only watch the good episodes.

13. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, what constitutes "the good episodes" is highly subjective and no two lists would be the same, I'd bet. My list, for instance, would include "Threshold", because it is one of the very best episodes for the same reason that people like MST3K. :devil:

14. JirinPanthosa

True enough, but almost every other popular scifi drama has a better hit/miss ratio than Voyager. Stargate seasons 2-7, B5 seasons 2-4, TNG seasons 3-7, DS9, Battlestar Galactica all manage 70% or higher. And I'm not personally a fan of Dr Who and Farscape but their fans would cite them too. If you're going to power-watch a full series you just have so many more consistent choices.

Spirit Folk is a crime against television.

15. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Hi Garren, welcome. Enjoy watching Voyager. It`s a great series. Voyager is my fav next to TNG.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  16. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi Garren, I felt DS9 improved dramatically once Worf appeared so stick in.

Voyager started well and had excellent character dynamics but I felt the Kazon were very one dimensional.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the Kazon were a better Villain, then Seska couldn't have manipulated and assimilated them

You can't have it both ways.

18. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't enjoy Seska either so I'd improve them both. Win win

19. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Wait! That's a DS9 quote!

20. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

That's mostly because of the romance with Jadzia.