Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The Purple carrier and the heavy bomber dipped below the cloud line in the battle after being damaged. It seems that they didn't explode, so they managed to get away. Though they may have warped into another pocket dimension where Yamato will end up in the film when it runs from the Cometines. The blonde guy was one of Burger's pilots, so three of the foru Gamilas shown were survivors from the Rainbow Star Cluster battle. The woman seems to be in command of a fleet that has a few battlecarriers, a type we saw only one of during the first series run. Even during the massive fleet review, we didn't see any of this type with the other fleets.

As for the new look for the Cometines, I think that will be interesting. They do look like a cross between TOS and TNG Klingons, just with green skin.

Sabera looks nice as well. She'll be a problem later on if the series continues.

2. Ithekro

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Any word if StaBlazers.com is going to start selling BluRays again? I heard a rumor that they would start up again in December but their website continues to be absent of info and I don't have FaceBook to check over there.

4. Ithekro

No news of any kind on that front. Its been silent since August. However the new film will be out in theaters in three days, and there is almost a whole month left in December.

That Magnaflame Gun is very impressive. And scary.

5. 137th Gebirg

I seriously wonder what happened there. Seems quite serious - a loss of international licensing, perhaps? Or maybe even a problem with the manufacturer. The silence is thunderous... :confused:

6. Ithekro

They can't have last the licensing since it is basically directly from the parent company. Unless Bandai Visual didn't want to make the Star Blazers versions anymore (they are slightly different since they are six discs instead of seven).

I was thinking they were going to add new advertisements for the two films on the last two discs, so they can sell those to the Americans as well. Or maybe they were waiting to see if there is a second series announcement, and run an ad for that on the last disc (that would be cool).

But otherwise, it just seems like they lost interest. Maybe there were not enough sales. Or they planned it so that one would have to get the last three Yamato 2199 BD to complete the set, as three Japanese discs would certainly get them more money that two American release discs. But that would be marketing. Underhanded marketing. We have no way to know.

On the new material front, now we know what happened to that red Gamilas super battleship.

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Possibly a lack of sales in the U.S. (I personally bought the Japanese Blu-Rays with english subtitles as I wanted to see the series as it was released officially - but more because I was concerned Voyager might edit, or give it the 'Star Blazers' treatment. Yes, that got a lot of people into anime and yamato in the late 170ies/early 1980ies; but many of those same fans were a bit annoyed when they saw what the original Japanese version was when compared to what the edited 'Star Blazers' version was - and thus as times have changed and un-americanized foreign entertainment more accepted, might not want to chance another 'americanized' editing job. IE - They won't even buy the first disc to see.)

They did dub the first episode in english (they were shown at some of the major anime cons the year 2199 was first out); and I'm certain it was done to see if they could interest some cable network (the Cartoon Network or maybe SyFy who for a very short period actually aired the 1978 dubbed 'Star Blazers' episodes -- but I have a feeling part of the pitch called for the channel to help pay for further english dubbing; and that may have been a deal breaker with all the other already dubbed anime Funimation has - which seems to be the majority of the anime of Cartoon Network.)

It is interesting to note that Funimation got the rights to, and did do a full English language dub of the 2010 live action 'Space Battleship Yamato' feature film (they also include an English Subtitle track) -- which I saw and managed to pick up last year on Blu-Ray at Best Buy, So, it's interesting that Voyager seems to only have exclusive rights to the anime versions of SBY.

And people here may flame me, but had Funimation gotten the anime version for SBY:2199; we'd probably have an english dubbed version available, and it probably would have been on Cartoon Network's TOONAMI block by now (for better or worse) :)

Still it's said that their isn't an easier way for U.S. fans who'd still like to have the series to get it; and I hope I'm wrong and Voyager starts making its Blu-rays available again.

I ALSO hope the Japanese continue with the SBY retelling and they do a full 26 episode series of the 'Comet Empire' after the film in the 2199 vien. Time will tell; but I hope they do an announcement one way or the other soon after the release of the film.

8. Ithekro

The problem with selling Yamato 2199 to television in the west was having to cut the episodes down and to find places for more commercials. Some of the Yamato 2199 episodes are 27 minutes long with only one major break point in the middle. American commerical television has at least two breaks (if not more) aside from around the Opening of the show and the credits, which are usually dropped/condensed for more commericals. They are also set for something like 18 to 22 minutes of episode. The shortest Yamato 2199 episode is 22 minutes and 30 seconds (with credits and opening).

Voyager Entertainment appeared to not understand how US TV works, and then failed to make their sale. Eventually producing the DVD/BD themselves under Star Blazers 2199 (which was actually itself unnecessary rebranding). As it is, with four discs produced (in limited runs if the website was accurate of something like 4000 total made, 2000 of each type), those that did get the limited edition stuff would save maybe $150 dollars verses getting the whole set of Yamato 2199 on blu-ray.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention if it went well both movies as well.

10. Robert Simmons

Robert Simmons Commander Red Shirt

Out There Joy Riding a console hopping galaxies
    2199 will not make it over in the west due to all the camel toe and T and A.

11. Ithekro

Well there is that, but that wouldn't stop an Adult Swim run. Runtime would though. I think one battle episodes is just over 27 minutes long and doesn't have regular credits, they just run over the action.

12. Robert Simmons

Robert Simmons Commander Red Shirt

Out There Joy Riding a console hopping galaxies
    When I watched the 9 minute opening you posted the link to, I had a double take and want you to check me on this. When I was reading the opening title credits I thought I saw listed Yoshinobu Nishizaki listed in the producer title. He died on his boat in 2010 in a scuba accident. If what I saw was correct then is he post humously being credited due his starting Yamato to begin with from the beginning? That would be the only way I could rationalize him bring listed in the opening credits if he's been dead for almost 5 years. Made me wake up and take notice.

13. Ithekro

Either it was a "created by:" type credit, or it was a credit for his son, Shoji Nishizaki, who produced this recent movie.

Early reports from those 4,000 lucky enough to see the movie previewed on Bandai Channel say the movie is really good. It will be out within 24 hours in Japan.

Also the major battle is said to rivals the old Battle of Saturn and the recent Battle of the Rainbow Star Cluster is quality and intensity.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, they never finished selling the sets? I was just going to buy the whole thing on Rightstuf once they finished putting them all out.

Also, the movie has a neat version of the OP.

15. Ithekro

The Comet Empire appears to have something similar to movie era Star Trek style photon torpedoes under the name Quantum Torpedo. All their ships are armed with them in addition to their regular (seemingly rather inaccurate, but rapid fire) guns, and standard missiles.

16. 137th Gebirg

Yes, they stopped all of a sudden back in August and turned it all off with no indication of why or when they'll start again.

17. Ithekro

It is assumed they will start up again this month, but that is at best a guess.

18. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what happened behind the scenes? I think that was around the same time that I noticed that they nuked all the Shiori videos on youtube.

19. Ithekro

20. Ithekro

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014