Great Link and Androids

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain McBain, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

The Great Link distrusts solids, so do you think it would have distrust of Data and other androids? Or, because androids aren't really alive, perhaps they'd make an exception?

In "Descent," when Lore told Picard and company that biological organisms are obsolete, do you think Lore would have also considered changelings as obsolete? Changelings are biological but they are obviously greatly advanced compared to most humanoids.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Xenophobic racists seldom bother making such distinctions.

3. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the Changelings only trusted individuals in the Great Link.

Lore, also, was just selling the Borg something. He probably didn't believe half of what he said.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Founders encountered other "non-solids" somewhere in the universe, the Founders would hate and distrust them too.

:)

5. Captain McBain

I think Lore's words were, "You Picard, and others like you, are obsolete." This statement, even if genuine, suggests that Lore is speaking about 'typical' humanoids: Klingons, Romulans, Humans, Cardassians, etc., and not those with fantastic abilities, such as Talosians, Changelings, Cytherians (if Cytherians are indeed humanoid), and so on. This also assumes that Lore had knowledge of such beings.

6. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think the Founders would have any more respect or appreciation for non-organic intelligences as they do for organic solid ones... I wonder what the Link would make of the Crystalline Entity?

7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Changelings call everyone "solids". So, are androids "solid"? Yes? Well, there's your answer.

Lore didn't like anyone. Why would he make an exception for organic goo-beings?

8. Trek Sifter

Trek Sifter Ensign Red Shirt

Interesting questions! Well, because androids are technically solid (unable to shapeshift), I'd figure the Changelings would distrust them (unless they acknowledge that the androids lack instinctual prejudices, which is what they seem to fear from "the solids"? But as others have noted above, the Changelings hold onto their own prejudices...).

I think Lore's obsolete comment stems from Lore wanting to be on the side of the most powerful (allying with the Crystalline Entity, the Borg...); I'd expect Lore would regard the Changelings to be powerful and would not think of them as "obsolete" (and how could something that can shift form become obsolete, anyway? :) ).

9. Captain McBain

I made a mistake in my original post, anyway. Changelings aren't considered humanoids.

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Data was an android created by humans who aspired to be human. So no, the Changelings under the leadership of the female Changeling would not care for Data any more than humans. Maybe even less.