Shane Johnson's Whereabouts?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by FalTorPan, Aug 21, 2014.

1. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know whether Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise and other sci-fi works, as well as Christian fiction novels, is still active online? I had interviewed him some years ago for my Trekplace website, but I've since lost touch with him.

Thanks in advance!

2. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'd love to know that, myself. Especially because I'm curious if that update to Mr. Scott's Guide he was working on some time ago will ever see the light of day, even as a self-published online deal?

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I think he had some health problems. Last I heard of him was after a heath scare--he posted this on www.starshipmodeler.net some years ago.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That link just goes to the main page of the site, not to a post.

Always test your links! :)

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a new TV series. "Tonight on Fox, the premiere of Shane Johnson's 'Whereabouts'!"

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have this overwhelming urge to find Shane Johnson and point out that, despite all the scorn Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise received over the years, they referenced it in the latest movie and thus he wins.

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

^^^
    They did? What reference was in the latest movie?

--Alex

9. F. King Daniel

One of the Enterprise damage graphics visible for a second just before Khan's torpedoes detonate (seen among these) measures shield strength in "diburnium/osmium levels" which is straight out of Mr. Scott's Guide.

10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An "alloy of diburnium-osmium" had previously been mentioned in TOS "That Which Survives", so it's not exclusive to Mr Scott's Guide.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, but it was MSGTTE that posited the completely ludicrous notion that deflector shields are some kind of "energy image" of a really hard diburnium-osmium barrier or some such bizarre notion.

Still, it's silly to pretend that a background graphic you have to freeze-frame and enhance in order to read is meant to be an authoritative part of the universe. It's about creating an overall impression of a scene; the details are not as important as the big picture, and often the details don't make sense in context if you take them seriously. I mean, ILM inserted R2-D2 as a piece of space debris in both Abrams movies, but that doesn't mean R2-D2 is "canon" in the Trek universe.

12. F. King Daniel

Well, someone in the ID art department thought it was good enough. It made me smile to see the reference, mission accompished.:techman:

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed on the point of seeing the user interface animators giving tips of the hat to those who've inspired them. It's nice to see the respect shown.

14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Well, I've looked all over the web, and there is no sign of Shane Johnson anywhere after about 2010. He hasn't posted on his own website in five years. No indication of any books on the way.

I hate to say it, but I think he's no longer with us. *hat on breast*

15. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Hi,

I was one of the collaborators on the aforementioned update to Scott's Guide that we were working on back in 2005. I've been in touch with Shane off and on since then, but the most recent was in 2012.
    Seeing this thread, I emailed him to let him know that people were wondering about his whereabouts. I haven't heard back yet, nor had the email bounce back.
    Hopefully he's alright.

Tim

16. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, everyone. I'd just like to say hi to him and see how he's doing. :)

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I really would have liked to have seen that update come out.

One of the things I was hoping was a possible refresh of the refit for a post 1701-A era.

We see the Excalibur in STO keep the lines, and having something like Arida Sophia's Balson ( but with high, cranked nacelle supports) would have been nice.

18. wildstar

I haven't heard back from my email to him yet. I hope he's alright!

The book would have been an updated version of Scott's Guide (I believe he posted some messages on trekbbs about it back in 2005).
    So it would have shown the internals of both the refit as seen in TMP and TWOK as well as TFF and TUC including the TNG style engine room/officer's lounge as seen in ST5 etc. I talk about this a little on my About page, with some imagery.
    The last I heard was that he approached Pocket Books but they never responded. Their loss IMO.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Link? I can't find what you're referring to.

20. wildstar

Sorry,
    http://www.cydonia6.com/about.html
    and scroll down.