Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sayonara maru, Apr 4, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the ending to Counterpoint... though to me the big flaw is... did they just forget about Tuvok and Vorik? I mean Janeway even makes a point at looking at Tuvok while she's talking to Prax on the viewscreen.

Janeway falling for a Gestapo agent? Makes perfect sense! :p

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

SO TRUE!!!

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a standard design.

Can they only staff Intrepid Star Ships with iconic Captains who can overcome the limited seating plan when all the other shitty Captains get propped up booster seats that clearly define them as in charge for idiots looking for a delineated pecking order...

OH!

Putting the Captain in the centre, on the highest chair is a "language".

I am big.

I am tall.

Taller than you.

Fear me, respect me, glorify me.

It's subliminal inference for first contact with backward assholes who are afraid of fuckers from the high-ground still... Which voyager didn't have.

Voyager's Skillset was never intended for first contact or exploration because it's bridge layout is not being used to manipulate the small minded into subconsciously kowtowing.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I always found the "throne for the captain" concept to be kind of silly.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

*genuflects to Guy*

The same thing Sisko criticized about the Prefect's Office in Ops.

Yet the Defiant's Captain's Chair was elevated.

6. Guy Gardener

Klingon thrones have plumbing.

Consider.

A boarding part cuts through the hull.

Fights it's way to the bridge.

Only to find that the bridge is a dozen privies in use that have never been properly cleaned.

If that smell doesn't repel these fearless commandos, then they deserve the ship.

7. Guy Gardener

What's up for the ruler of the entire planet hiding away in an orbital ore processing plant?

Is he afraid of the terrorists, or did Dukat really like to look down his nose at these people?

Imagine if the next President decided that he wanted to live on Airforce One, and that the plane was NEVER going to land again until he was out of office?

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't even...

9. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

They're the same sets as TNG.

So? Chair design isn't likel;y to change all that much, considering how it's stayed fairly static for the last several centuries.

It's a workplace, not a throne room.

And what are these four? I can think of the briefing room and the ready room, which function exactly as they did in TNG.

Yeah, if they had a mess hall or something, that would have been better.

Voyager's engineering is pretty distinctive.

Constantly? I doubt it. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I doubt there were any more than a handful of times when an enemy shot disabled their warp drive when the shot was fired immediately before they went to go to warp. And the same thing happened on TNG as well.

10. Guy Gardener

Were the floors actually carpetted?

I know they said they were in TNG, but did we actually see the carpet?

Was Voyagers bridge carpeted?

It just seems off to have the rooms all carpeted but not the corridors.

And really, lets think of all the times the carpet should have been replaced!

OH!?

They wouldn't clean carpets?

They'd just be constantly transport/replicate/replacing the carpet in any room as soon as it's empty of observers?

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yes. The Engineering set is in exactly the same place on the soundstage as Engineering in TNG, which was in exactly the same place on the soundstage as Engineering in the movies.

TNG got rid of TMP's forced perspective extension and turned it into more useful performing space, just reversing the camera angle so the warp core is at the rear of the set.

Both tv shows did cosmetic changes with walls and colors, but it's the same framework. Voyager opened the room up, removing the ceiling and adding another upper level.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I have no love for this series at all, but the production design was very nice; colors were well-chosen, and I'd have loved to see the ship gradually fall apart over the 7 yr run, if they'd been creative and 'daring' enough to go that route.
    On the other hand I hate the -D.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the 2 levels of Voy's engineering, and the fact that they weren't shy about using both levels.

Funniest 2nd story scene.. Tom & B'Elanna making outwhen Tuvok caught them. :guffaw:

Most poignant... Seven and B'Elanna discussing Seven's impending death. :wah:

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Blame UPN for thinking continuity of any kind, visual or story, would be bad for second run syndication.

15. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Voyager was a total "beat the dead horse" series. It made its 7 year run on spit and duct tape...lets be honest.

The only reason it lasted was because there was enough momentum at its start. Ds9 was a resounding success so both the producers (and the fans) went into it with all hype..

Midway through its run they had to get rid of the cute pixie and replace her with the buxom blonde in order to continue the momentum.. Which was half hearted at best...

As much as I liked the Borg story arc (and it was probably Voyagers saving grace) ..Rehashing this storyline was an ABSOLUTE COP-OUT. .. You guys should read the Star Trek Destiny trilogy. A MUCH MUCH better closure to the origins of the Borg

Most everything in the "Voyager Weirdness" post has merit. Production values were poor, writing was poor. The lack of a lot of crucial details went into what one other poster called a "half arsed attempt"

Dont get me wrong.. I am a Star Trek purist too. But I also know how to look at art objectively whether or not I agree with it. Thats why Im going back through Voyager again.

(I've always believed that if Star Trek Enterprise directly followed DS9, it would have faired MUCH better than Voyager. Enterprise was focused on Star Trek mythos instead of trying to throw down a completely new adventure from scratch)..

I may be a fanboy.. but i have a few standards..

16. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Only if you can get past the two huge plot holes. Or the third plot hole that involves that origin.

17. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Well for crying out loud.. if you want to split hairs, majority of star trek has plot holes... That isnt the point...

18. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

No the point was you said it was a good set of books, I read them all and I disagree give the discontinuity and obvious ignorance about the Borg. (Not to mention Mack's inability to write a believable pregnancy situation). Which is the same argument you are using against Voyager.

So pot, are you enjoying calling the kettle black.

19. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's an alternative to BOTH "Endgame" & "Destiny's Trilogy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbIUHBz1LY

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbIUHBz1LY[/yt}

I just don't get the knocks about "production values".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUJCwXeW6c

I love them... from engineering to astrometrics to the space battles to the 1001 different Janeway hairstyles.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUJCwXeW6c[/yt]

Well, except the bald one, I could have lived without seeing her bald!

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

What are the three alleged plot holes?