What did Lucas do?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Anduril, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

And let's not forget the dialogue! A competent director would NEVER have let shit like this happen. Literally nothing about this scene works, except as unintentional comedy. (Or intentional, courtesy of rifftrax). :D

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

When you put it that way, it sounds like real life!

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

One of the biggest problem with the prequels, as far as I'm concerned, isn't just Christensen's wooden performance as Anikin, but specifically the fact that he and Portman's Amidala had absolutely no chemistry between them whatsoever. I didn't "buy" them as a couple. Not even for a second. Hell, even Jake Lloyd had better chemistry with Portman in Ep 1 than Christensen did in Eps 2 & 3, albeit in an obnoxious little brother sort of way, but at least their relationship seemed vaguely plausible.

4. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I just had this sudden image of the character of Anakin being swapped with the character of Frank Burns. And the spooky thing is I think the PT would have played out exactly the same.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Weird thing is, there was something likeable at the core of Frank Burns. Somehow he tapped into a sympathy-for-the-underdog vein. Maybe because Hawkeye et al seemed like the cool kids and Burns was he dweeby outsider.

So maybe if the Jedi have been portrayed as insufferably arrogant, we wold have liked Anakin more. There was certainly a lot of surface evidence of arrogance, but the prequels didn't really follow up that possibility. Lucas never allowed the Jedi to be portrayed in a bad light like that.

And that leads me to another problem - the clones! If the Jedi are supposed to be so good and holy, why are they breeding cannon fodder? They should have shut down the clone factory as soon as they discovered it, as an obvious crime against humanity and all the other species-anity.

If conversely they were faring so badly in the war that they were forced to use cannon fodder, then what does that say for a Republic who can't get its own citizens to fight for it?

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

Although frankly I never cared for ANY part of the clone story, or the "twist" of having them start out as the good guys. It just seemed contrived as hell to me.

And really? The clones in the infamous "Clone Wars" are nothing but some earlier versions of the bumbling stormtroopers from the OT??

Lucas had the opportunity to create a whole new, cool kind of threat for the Jedis to go up against in these movies, but instead he just made them.... a bunch of stormtroopers. Ugh.

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Sad, but true.

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

That's it right there...

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

What did he do?

He did what he wanted to do with something that belonged to him and made huge piles of money from a world of people anxious to pay to watch him do it.

10. He made a really badly executed trilogy (or as I call it, "Arrivals and Departures" since it feels like almost every scene in the movie is people walking down hallways, departing, and arriving, or having meetings about departing or arriving)... in a series that a lot of fans had childhood attachments to.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

But he didn't do it the way the fanboys wanted him to do it! :scream:

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

4 words

Sand. bloody. Frickin. SAND!

13. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah. So, Modesto's answer to Ron Jeremy, then?

14. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amidst the other stuff mentioned, there's his constant tweaking with the original films. He seems to have a real problem with a decades old film looking like a decades old film and was desperate to try and keep them looking like they were made yesterday.

Which is a mugs game for two reasons. First, special effects will always date so if you want to keep up with making the films still look modern you have to spend the rest of your life updating them every few years.

Secondly, the updates were done with no sympathy for the original material. Star Wars on blu ray doesn't look like a 2012 film, it looks like a 1977 film with some CGI slapped on top of some scenes.

I've never understood why he bothers anyway, kids still like The Wizard of Oz without any snazzy updates don't they?

15. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

Fanboys are like an abused woman, they keep coming back for more!

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It would have been vastly more interesting if Anakin was far more noble. Falling from a whiny teen who gleefully slaughters and entire group of people (including women and children) to a man who's rules the galaxy with evil isn't much of a fall.

Anakin should have been Jesus! He should have been every that purity, nobleness and the Light Side is. He should have taken the rape and death of his mother with a smile and tried to help the Sand People to make them better. His fall from that to Vader would have been vastly more interesting. Namely the endangerment of his wife and children (who should have been born but very young when Amidala died) being the thing that pushed him over the edge, willing to do ANYTHING to save her, seduced then by the Dark Side.

But, nope, he goes from a whiny bitch teenager who hates sand, to a whiny bitch teenager who slaughters innocents, to a whiny bitch young-adult who stomps and pouts when his superiors tell him no. Yeah, it's SOOOOOO surprising he fell to The Dark Side.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but that conflicts with what Yoda said about him in TESB.

Yeah, who cares about the whole saving the galaxy thing?

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was understood that Sidous as Palpatine ordered the creation of the clones through Dooku?The Jedi had nothing to do with it, they were fooled by Sidous like everybody else. How else were two Sith gonna wipe out six zillion Jedi, which was the whole point of the clones exsistence in the first place.

Not that I'm defending the prequels mind you, but this one story point always made sense to me.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the idea is that the Jedi are "bad" for accepting the clone army.

However, just as we saw in TPM with slavery in Hutt space, the Jedi don't really have the authority to shut down Kamino, at least not by AOTC; that film tells us Kamino isn't in the Republic.
    ( Also, even if the Republic had rejected the army, the clones were trained for war and could still have ended up being used for their original purpose, but in some other conflict. )

20. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

They are also bad for supporting a corrupt republic in my book.