Babylon 5 S2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BruntFCA, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I'm interested in getting into Babylon 5 but I don't want to buy a show I have never seen so I checked my local library and all they have available for some reason is season 2. So my question is can I watch S2 without seeing S1 first? Thanks.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Though I wouldn't recommend it, you should probably be OK going straight into season 2. The way it starts is something of a soft reboot anyway, so you should get caught up fairly quickly.

Unfortunately one of the major mysteries of the first season ("why did the Minbari surrender at the battle of the line?") gets pretty much laid out within the first two or three episodes. That may somewhat hinder your enjoyment of season one if/when you get around to watching it later. It might also dampen the resonance of some future revelations as you won't have experienced all the groundwork from S1.

Honestly, I'd advise tracking down a way to view the first season by some other means if at all possible. I know it used to be on Hulu, so you might still find it there or some other streaming or rental service like Netflix, LoveFilm etc.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Didn't AOL have the series on some sort of streaming service?

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.

6. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here, and It worked out fine. I got hooked on the show starting with the first episode of season 2, which when I went to buy the show, I thought was season 1 and was surprised to learn there was whole season I had missed.

Although, as mentioned season 2 starts with what's essentially a reboot so there will be no trouble starting with season 2. Season 1 was also the weakest season in my opinion, not bad by any means but the rest were better, so starting at season 2 might also be advantageous.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Season 5 is worst.

9. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No you don't infact I have never even seen S1.

10. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Beat me to it, Season 1 can be rough in spots though, looks real rough compared to seasons 2-4

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."

12. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I personally think a person would be doing themselves a disservice by skipping season 1.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Bloody hell, what is it about Babylon 5 threads that they always end up becoming a discussion of the flaws and merits of season 5? It's like the Godwin's law of science fiction television! :p

14. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Yeah but overall S1 was moving into a direction and Sleeping in Light is something that has little to do with S5 of B5.

15. Professor Zoom

I think the first half of Season 5 is rough, but the second half...heartbreaking... a must watch.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Agreed, S5 starts out from ground zero again because of the threat of cancellation, but, the second half is as good as any other period in the show, IMHO

17. Professor Zoom

Yeah, I think having to reshuffle who was at the center of the arc and the casting of a particular character, the first half suffers.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

As I've said elsewhere, I think it's quite feasible to start with S2 and only go back if and when you're inclined to.

Yeah, you miss out on some of the building blocks, but nothing crucial.

As it is there are still episodes of S1 I haven't seen because my understanding is that they're total dogs, and I'm not interested in watching an episode that's 5% building blocks if it's 95% horrible.

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Wow...you let others make that determination for you?

Jan

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely you've read reviews of things before deciding whether or not to see them for yourself.

Last I checked, nobody's going to claim that "TKO" is a must-see episode.

Hell, "Grey 17 is Missing" is in what's generally considered the best season of B5, and I think even most B5 fans would agree that it's not exactly B5 at its best. Even JMS doesn't defend that one.