Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I just hope he actually finishes the villagers instead of leaving them half finished like wolves and achievements.

The nice thing about pistons and redstone is its reusable. I'm sure you'll come up with a more streamlined model with a little practice Ben.

Made a simple hidden door as my first piston project. Well, at least it would be hidden if it weren't for the lever sticking out of the cliffside.

Over on the MC forum I was looking at someone who could make either water or lava pour out of a hole with the flick of a lever. Seems to me it would make one heck of a trap puzzle. You fall into a pit and are presented with two levers. One floods the room with water, letting you float up and out. The other is lava, meaning instant death. Choose wisely. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I had forgotten that you can power adjacent blocks by alternating repeaters and normal redstone wires in parallel, which greatly simplified how the pistons themselves were powered. I also figured out how I got the stair thing to work, which is interesting as it's like as if my unconscious mind knew it would work and told my conscious mind to do it without explaining how it works. :lol:

The thing that takes up the most room is a T flip-flop which allows a single button (technically two buttons on the same input line) to turn it on and off. I checked the Minecraft wiki and there are smaller T flip-flops, but they're based on precise timing using repeaters and they're more likely to break over time. I decided to build the big reliable one instead. So there's definitely room for further optimisation, but I'm happy enough with where it's at right now.

3. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

My projects with the pistons haven't been anything spectacular, and quite honestly have driven me up the wall trying to figure out how to get everything working properly.

I still can't get simultaneous functions figured out, like moving two sets of pistons at the same time unless they are in a series.

Maybe this is a clue I wasn't meant to be an electrical engineer. It gives me headaches.. :vulcan:

4. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where does everyone play multiplayer?

5. Cutter John

DH - Robert here runs a server we play on. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll be happy to let you in.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. TheGodBen

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That's pretty crazy, Ben. It's essentially an engine at this point. Would be interesting if you could vary the speed.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Holy shit. I never cease to be amazed by the things people make in Minecraft. I haven't even made a piston yet...

9. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Is it possible for a piston to push down?

10. Cutter John

You know I just had to go check, and yes it can as long as you can get underneath to place it.

11. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Then I may have a crazy idea for a walker.... :shifty:

12. Distorted Humor

Well I am on the server, tonight I will make my homestead look a lot better, right now it a place of safety, but ugly as sin.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Welcome aboard! :)

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, Silent, if you manage that, you have to show us a video of it in action.

And DH, I look forward to seeing what you'll be doing with your islands :)

15. Cutter John

Uh oh. Notch is teasing us with 1.8 again.

http://notch.tumblr.com/

I'm not sure I understand the whole 'Creative' or 'Survival' mode thing. Does than mean we can either build stuff, or go exploring, meet NPC's, and fight monsters, but not both at once? I's confused.

Yay, fresh mea...errr....welcome to our world.

If you need anything, feel free to check out the Public Works building in town. Or just ask in chat.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  16. TheGodBen

I'm not sure, but I think he means that there will be a new mode that acts like the old creative mode, but updated to include all the current blocks and features, so you can just build stuff without having to mine or craft.

The logo for the adventure update looks cool, and it seems like it's going to be the biggest single update so far. Jeb also mentioned on his twitter today that they plan to increase the size of biomes. The problem is that it's going to replace the current biome data so already existing areas are likely to undergo extreme climate change. It will be fairly annoying if my town turns from a temperate zone into a snow biome, especially since the ice will make my three docks in the area useless. Still, that's a price I'm willing to pay for bigger biomes.

17. Cutter John

Hopefully it'll work like Tallgrass and only effect new worlds and unexplored chunks.

Cuz I would be seriously pissed if my treehouse were to suddenly rez in the middle of a desert.

18. Distorted Humor

Thanks, Smooth has showed me around the server, and now am building out near Smooth's place, built a bridge to my place, interconnected to my ugly homestead (Which will be torn down soon, will make that small island into a garden or something. and started a cliff-side house. also have tons of unclaimed land to play with :)

Actually the bridge-works is large for a few hours of work. But now I need to get back mining as I low on material.

19. TheGodBen

It wouldn't replace the dirt blocks with sand, but you could find yourself in a situation where all the grass in the area would turn brownish and it would never rain. In fact, it could change the area around your home area into a mushroom biome and turn the grass purple for all we know. :ack:

20. Distorted Humor

So suddenly, your place goes from nice woods to Morrowind ;)