Relics

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Willieck, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Willieck

Willieck Commander Red Shirt

Definitely a curate's egg this one. It was great to see Scotty again but held in the transporter for 75 years? I don't really think so :hugegrin:

Secondly the so-called Dyson sphere. We are asked to believe that someone had constructed a sphere almost as large as the entire solar system. No! No! No! No!

I know that we have to suspend a lot of belief to watch Star Trek but even after 40 years this one is too big to swallow.

It was a fun episode though ;)

2. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not the entire solar system.......just roughly the size of the Earth's orbit around the sun. Much more feasible :wtf:. There, all better now. ;)

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

They weren't asking you to believe in something new; it was an existing concept. Granted, it wasn't what Freeman Dyson had in mind, but the point is that Dyson shells have been depicted in s.f. before. Don't blame the episode for that one.

4. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I learned something new today--the definition of that phrase, thanks to some googling. Who says TBBS isn't educational?

And the "unscientific" parts of "Relics" did nothing to spoil the great story, IMHO.

5. Jochk

Jochk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OOOO, those are some good points but, i think we've accepted that the theory of relativity is out the window this giant sphere isn't really a problem. Also, if this is such a great engineering feat why not make it an oval sphere it only needs to be as thick as the sun at the middle to contain the class m planet.

6. Willieck

You know, I just knew that someone was going to say that. Of course that makes all the difference. :lol:(Pedants of the world unite :rolleyes:)

7. Willieck

Happy to oblige. :)

8. Willieck

Didn't know that. I still think it's "unbelievable" though even in in SF terms.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

A ringworld would have been better. We know Niven likes Trek. :)

So the plot is the Enterprise discovers the largest thing in the galaxy, and also discovers a Dyson sphere.

What?

One nitpick: When the Jenolin had its shields up when the Enterprise beamed people off and torpedoed it.

10. Landed

Landed Lieutenant

Much older ship with different shield technology or Enterprise was aware of the shield resonance frequency and beamed through them, much like a ships torpedoes do in order to fire through their own shields

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Riiiiiight. :vulcan:

;)