Poll: Which doctor would you want to work on you?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Which doctor would you want to work on you?

1. Phlox

4.5%
  2. Leonard McCoy

28.6%
  3. Beverly Crusher

17.0%
  4. Julian Bashir

25.9%
  5. The Doctor

24.1%
  1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Like that makes it any better. :p

2. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's see...

Not McCoy. I don't want a doctor who says, "A little suffering is good for the soul." I want a doctor who says, "You may have some residual pain from this procedure for a few days, so here's a prescription for a shitload of Oxycontin."

Definitely not Phlox! I don't want a doctor who might say, "You know, I could save you, but maybe according to the Cosmic Plan you're supposed to die."

The rest are pretty much a toss-up. So, I guess I'll just go to the second poll thread and vote for Ogawa, just because I have a thing for Asian women. That's a sound basis for making a medical decision, right? :D

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Ogawa does work under Beverly (if it sounds like I'm on a Beverly promoting crusade... you're probably right :techman:).

4. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You say this as if the human doctors were depicted as more competent or intelligent in any way than the hologram.
    The contrary is true. The Doctor was shown as the professional/intellectual (and physical) superior of mere meat brains.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And since the EMH is programmed with the knowledge and experience of hundreds - if not thousands - of real doctors, then by definition he already HAS their instinct and judgment.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Though it is simulated.

Leah Brahms' hologram wasn't the same as her counterpart, Barclay's recreation of Voyager's crew (though the Maquis' outfits were accurate) was inaccurate, and the last episode of Enterprise (though it may be just me) the hair and makeup was off. Who's to say the EMH didn't have a flaw or two. If he was perfect, they wouldn't have made a Mark II (though moving from Robert Picardo to Andy Dick is a step down if you ask me).

7. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Feel-good verbiage. Unsubstantiated, though.
    Writing 'simulated' doesn't change the fact that the Doctor proved able to match and exceed meat doctors at his profession - among others.
    In general, trek depicted high-end holograms as far more capable than mere biologicals.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^In the first season (or two) he had trouble becoming the new chief officer. Didn't he say on multiple occasions how he wasn't designed to do the things they charged him with? He did adapt and by the end he was as good as the rest of them, but he wasn't always like that.

9. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I do not like drs but the one I would let work on me would be Dr. McCoy at least I know I could trust him with my life if need be.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

The EMH was never designed for long-term use. I think he's said that at least a couple of times.

But those were only matters of looks and/or personality. The EMH's medical knowledge itself is unquestionable. Now, true, it's important to have a doctor that can interact with patients personally and do it well, but strictly in terms of medical expertise, the EMH is flawless - such things are not subject to interpretation. Either the EMH knows how to treat you or it doesn't. Either he can cure a disease or he can't. It's one or the other.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Leah Brahms was a diagnostic program but true, The Doctor's level is far superior. To our standards he is flawless and he can learn and adapt. My only vice against him in this thread is he's overkill choosing him to make sure you don't miss anything. If you like his personality, that's one thing, but Bones can do whatever The Doctor can do on a patient from our world.

The Doctor is the best doctor, but is he the best doctor for you?

12. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always adored Beverly Crusher, for many reasons, but her empathy for her patients is why I'd want her working on me, if she had to. And besides, she's the Chief Medical Officer in a STAR TREK series, so ... her competency is absolutely assured.

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Helena Russell hands down. She had the glossiest lips on Moonbase Alpha and she handed out sedatives like candy.

14. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bones was the best doctor.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

How so? Logically, the EMH would have a better chance.

I'm not dissing McCoy by any means, but he only has his own memories and experiences. The EMH has that, plus those of thousands of other doctors. Do the math. ;)

16. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

LOL. The glossiest lips and softest focus.

And who can forget Doc Cottle's low-visibility operating table?

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL! Yeah they must have had a whole ship given over to tobacco plants just to keep the old coot from dying of nicotine withdrawal.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

No, as BBJEG pointed out, Starfleet replaced the mark one with the mark two, it's unlikely that they would have done that simply because the mark one was "crabby."

The Doctor was superior (for some reason) than those holograms, it wasn't simply a matter than "he" was a hologram with abundant programming, there was something different and unique about him.

The Doctor was able to go beyond his programming, he was intuitive. His abilities were more than a matter of knowledge.

Intuitive -- using or based on what one feels to be true without conscious reasoning; instinctive.

:)

19. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

McCoy also shows compassion which I strongly need right about now

20. JesdenScott

JesdenScott Ensign Newbie

Phlox without a doubt.

He seems like he'd have the most interesting "bedside manner" with cool stories to tell and maybe let me play with some of his weird pets :)