Threshold: Why we should be proud

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Aug 29, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, if Janeway and Paris can conceive and give birth within a day, those things probably grow up pretty dang quick. With their tribble like metabolisms and reproductive rates they could have formed a planet wide empire by the time Voyager got back to Earth. ;)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is why we need a Voyager movie.

3. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like that theory. I think I'll adopt it! Resolves all kinds of issues ...:techman:

4. teacake

Yes it neatly redeems them all BUT it's not nearly as interesting as abandoned offspring out there somewhere who will one day arrive on their doorsteps.

5. Alpha Flyer

On which latter topic you (I believe) recently unearthed a lovely fanfic, called "Child Support" on another thread:

http://www.loggods.com/pestilence/voyager/childsupport.htm

6. teacake

No it wasn't me, I've actually read almost no fanfic.

This is why I need a kindle.

OH WAIT..

Yes I unearthed that, for the pic :guffaw:

Let's all look at it again:

[​IMG]

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

:eek: :guffaw:

Now, that drawing really made my day! And not only mine! I saw it and started to laugh and my not so Star Trek interested workmates wondered what was happening. It ended up with 5 people staring, laughing and smiling at the picture.

A masterpiece!

Not to mention that itave me some ideas too. Wouldn't it be something for an upcoming Voyager Relaunch book or a movie to have Voyager going back to the Delta Quadrant to seek for Janeway's and Paris's kids? And when they finally arrives to the planet, the first lizard kid they encounter says: "I'm the Lizard King. I can do anything!"

Of course, a movie version should have the actual Doors song "Not To Touch The Earth" as background music.

8. teacake

I always remember how this friend of mine in high school had a Jim Morrison album playng and it was some sexual poetry he was monotoning.. and her mother came into the room, SNATCHED the record off the turntable and broke it over her knee.

Yes, it was a long time ago. What record it was, I've forgotten.

I'm more and more of a mind that the forgotten lizard babies need to be redeemed. I'm tired of them being a joke. Remember when Starbuck was told that her ovum had been used by the cylons and resulted in a child? She like, default bonded. Janeway is ever maternal towards her crew. I can't believe she would not be maternal toward her actual genetic offspring.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Yeah but it turned out not to be her child but someone they stole from her actual mother. I think the 'genetic bond' is bollocks anyway. You bond with a baby through close proximity over time and the same goes for the baby.

10. teacake

Yes she default bonded by the mere IDEA that the child existed.

Janeway actually saw the babies. It's gotta eat at her.

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Thanks for the heads-up, but I was only joking. I was going to say frogs, at first. :p

12. teacake

But now you know CommanderRaytas. For future reference. About the lizard sex.

13. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Of course. It has been duly noted.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"He built a trans-warp engine out of sticks.":rofl:

"Frankie Parisway"

[Janeway to Paris]
    “Why Frankie?”
    “At the time I wasn’t sure if he was a boy
    or a girl… Frankie is one of those useful
    transgender names”

:lol:

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The mother broke the record? That's almost blasphemy, destroying a precious Doors record. Fortunately, my parents never reacted that way but they didn't have English as their native langage and didn't have a clue what I was playing on records or tapes.

As for the lizards, well if my original theory about a nightmare is the correct and accepted one, then there's no problem. It was all a dream.

But if not, then we could have some great stories to look forward to. What about "The Revenge Of The Abandoned Lizards"? The lizards sneak on board an alien spaceship, takes over it and head straight for Earth and a showdown with Tom and Kathryn.

16. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But: Didn't they say they can't remember the events after the transwarp flight?

17. teacake

Yeah they can't remember the mating and life as lizards but the crew actually saw the babies. They knew what happened, they just didn't remember it as something they were part of I guess. I'd imagine the memory faded rapidly, like a dream or nightmare.

18. Alpha Flyer

Tom actually comments on his memories (of being "everywhere at once") slipping quickly ...

So maybe this whole let's-forget-about-the-bairns thing is an honest-to-goodness legitimate after-effect of Warp 10, like that as yet unidentified happy hormone that pours into women's bodies after they've given birth and allows them to forget the gory details? (Editorial Comment: If we didn't have that, no sane female would ever have more than one kid!!!).

And it offers another, perfectly sound explanation -- apart from lousy writing -- for why P and J don't seem to have abandonment issues.

19. teacake

Yes.

But I believe that later, as time passes and they reflect with enough distance from this unpleasant event, they will start to wonder.

20. Alpha Flyer

True -- but it will be an abstract wondering, I should think, not a gut-driven guilt wonder.

What I do grant, absolutely, is that the scientist in Janeway may want to run back there and see what she and Tom have produced, and that Tom -- who at this point still has Daddy issues to rival only B'Elanna's -- would want to up his old man by showing he Cares.

I think we can probably all agree on one thing here: If Demon (DEMON!!!) got a sequel that showed what happened to Voyager (sort of) offspring, why not this? It could have been quite cool ... But probably by then the "this is the worst episode ever" chants had started, and no one wanted to touch it anymore. Too bad.

Interestingly though, where there is a bit of an echo is in that whole "Investigations" arc. Did anyone else spot the "So Tom wants to redeem himself ...?" gleam in Janeway's eyes at the very end of Threshold? She sure gave him the opportunity just a few weeks later, with what she must have known was essentially a suicide mission ...