Director's cuts in blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by mythme, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

My wishlist for future BD releases:

- The TMP SLV
    - The TWOK DC with correct color timing
    - TSFP with the correct (non windowboxed) opening credits (what Grant said)
    - TUC Extended Version without the changes made to the Special Edition (the flashbacks)
    - A longer cut of Generations (there are some deleted scenes that should be restored)
    - A much longer cut of Nemesis (almost all the deleted scenes should be in the movie)

2. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I had bought that 10 movie DVD set, and I really only bought it for the TOS movies.

While some of those Blu-Ray shots do look crisper (wow the scenes in TVH!) it's just not worth it to me to even bother.

If they:

1. Do TMP: DE in 4K
    2. Color correct TWOK properly
    3. Let Shatner do a DE of TFF and pony up some bucks for real Special FX, and not that backyard D-movie shit they did. Also please remove Uhura dance scene. I can live with the rest.

I'd buy a new set if those things were done.

3. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

3. DE of TFF. I can definitely get behind this, whether or not Shatner is involved. I have and have heard many opinions on how this movie could be made better, and a FX makeover would help. Could this movie be given the Star Wars treatment, adding elements not in the original in service of filling out the film?

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Please no! It's bad enough that they have ruined TMP with that awful DE. TFF is what it is, and it shouldn't be messed with some 25 years later. Incorporate some deleted scenes, yes ... but an FX makeover? No!

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

There's only one way to fix TFF and that's to go back in time and tell Shatner not to make that movie.

6. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Lieutenant Red Shirt

As long as I live, I will never understand this level of hatred for TFF. Nemesis was far worse than TFF ever could have been.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never met a Star Trek movie I didn't like.

On *some* level or another anyway.

TFF, Nemesis, whatever. They've *all* got their strong points.

It's just some of them have just got stronger points than others. ;)

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I really don't get this.

TFF was at a level of stupid that Nemesis couldn't hope to replicate.

Nemesis isn't even my least favourite Next Gen movie, flawed as it was - Insurrection and especially Generations were worse.

TFF is just cringeworthy. Sybok, the God creature, flying to the centre of the galaxy, the effects, Uhura's dance, I could on and on. Utterly cringeworthy...

9. MakeshiftPython

I don't hate TFF, and I think NEM is a lesser film. TFF is simply a broken film that no amount of nifty special effects could save.

10. Mad Mike

IMO, compared to Nemesis I'd say that Insurrection was quality entertainment and Generations was downright Oscar-worthy.

• I found Sybok to be quite refreshing and Luckinbill's performance was superb.
    • What exactly did you find "cringe-worthy" about "God?"
    • I couldn't care less about the Enterprise flying to the center of the galaxy anymore than I could care less about it flying to the edge of the galaxy in multiple TOS episodes.
    • The effects (at least the ones in space) were pretty horrible, I'll give you that.
    • The only problem I have with Uhura's dance is that they didn't let Nichols actually sing the song.
    As in all things, your mileage might vary.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Indeed it does, but that's what makes life interesting !

TFF was bad in big, broad, bold, garish strokes. Nemesis failed in rather mundane ways...

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trying to improve Star Trek V wouldn't cause the original theatrical version to cease to exist. Time travel is impossible.

The sight of a middle aged Uhura, stark naked, doing a fan dance for some grubby alien bandits, is I'm afraid burned into memory. Much like interrupting your parents having sex when you were a kid. No amount of therapy will help. :lol:

I wholeheartedly endorse re-editing the film and putting the special back into SFX though. Particularly as a way of taking your mind off what I've just said... [shudders]

13. Mad Mike

May we all end up looking that good when we're 57 (her age at the time).

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The big grey hairdo made her seem old before her time... Sanity restored in time for the original cast's last hoorah.

15. MakeshiftPython

Her hair style in TFF was scary. I'd take the jheri curls she had in III and IV any day over that what was in V.

16. Mad Mike

No argument there, you and ChristopherPike are spot on about the hairdo.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

But I only hope I look as awesome as she did, hairstyle aside...

18. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Seconded... I wasn't a fan of the wild gray look, but that's near the bottom of my nitpicks with TFF.

We've got a few threads now about DEs/SEs on blu-ray. I'm wishful, but not hopeful. I'll join others who are pleading with Paramount to prove us wrong...