Who is John Harrison (Possible SPOILERS or Insane Babbling)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Green Mushroom, Dec 11, 2012.

?

Who is John Harrison?

1. A new character named John Harrison

23.6%
  2. A new character with the psuedonym John Harrison

14.5%
  3. Khan

17.3%
  4. Gary Mitchell

17.3%
  5. Harry Mudd

2.7%
  6. Nero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trelane

0.9%
  8. Other (Please Explain)

23.6%
  1. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a little known fact that Harrison is a common Horta Surname. Clearly, he is avenging carlessly killed Horta spawn. I don't know why more of you haven't picked up on that.

2. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Josh Rainhorn.... way better

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Especially since it's clearly going to be Lazarus. :whistle:

4. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

No, the truth is much more complex than that. It turns out his name isn't John Harrison, he is just called John, Harry's Son. Turns out that various bloggers wrote down what they thought they heard.

John, Harry's Son is the love child of Harry Kim and Seven of Nine on a mission to restore the timeline. If you look at it from the 24th Century POV, John, Harry's Son is actually the hero and Kirk is the villain for trying to keep the new timeline going.

5. Cartoonist

Cartoonist Captain Captain

I think Harrison just may be Kirk's brother. I can't put my finger on why, but Cumberbatch sort of reminds me of Sam Kirk from IDW's Star Trek comics (which supposedly lead into the next film). There could be any number of reasons why he'd have changed his name. And it would explain why the description of the plot said something about the Enterprise crew being the only family Kirk has left.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Trekmovie.com, the second trailer features a quick shot of a cargo hold or some such place full of tubes...tubes that appear to have windows in them. ;)

7. hiddenderek

hiddenderek Ensign Newbie

I'm pretty sure John Harrison is This Guy.

He even has a blue shirt. Honestly if this is true I really like the direction they are headed: Taking obscure things from TOS and building on them with the "Domino effect" Nero had when traveling back in time.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's either his original name and at some point he takes on a new one that we are familiar with OR it's his name he uses in disguise.

10. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I don't know who it is but I sure as hell know his real name is not John Harrison. That's the phoniest name I've ever heard. It's a gotta be an alias.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm sure all the real John Harrisons think so too.

12. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe he is a new character and a human starfleet officer who either gets possessed by an alien life form or is biologically modified in some way, or he could just be very clever and have no powers.

*This is assuming that John Harrison is the actual name of the villain and not a filler for Cumberbatch's real character.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

John Harrison was the name of the British clockmaker who invented the marine chronometer and thereby enabled ships at sea to calculate their longitude for the first time. He was one of the most important people in the history of transportation.

It's also the name of quite a few other people, including a diplomat, a filmmaker, a few politicians, a couple of athletes, a folk musician, a stamp engraver, etc.

Oh, and the Internet Movie Database has 44 John Harrisons who are real people, but surprisingly, only one to date who's a fictional character, not counting Cumberbatch's role.

Hmm... John Harrison... Jonathan Harris... English accent... oh my gods, he's Dr. Smith! He's seeking revenge for the pain, the pain. ;)

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All of whom are phonies, using aliases. They're all really Khan.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, he's a character who makes rather a deal out of "I have returned..." but he's alleged to be a new character. There certainly is no indication so far that he's familiar to Kirk and his crew.

Let's chew on that for a bit.

16. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

The "I have returned" part is the most telling part of what we know about the character so far. What is he returning from? It was most likely a negative experience for him since he wants revenge. Does it happen off screen before the events of the movie or will we see the situation from which he returns played out in an earlier part of the movie?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing to chew on. There are tons of stories about characters returning somewhere they've been before in-universe even though it never came up in the specific work of fiction before. Heck, "Space Seed" itself was about Khan "returning" after having been presumed dead. ST:TMP was about the return of a space probe that nobody in the audience had ever heard of until it was revealed in the movie. Lord of the Rings was about Aragorn returning to claim his crown, even though we never saw his initial reign. The audience doesn't need to have prior familiarity with a character in order for a valid story to be told about that character's return. All that matters is that the other characters are aware of the history.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

You're mistaken.

This isn't a tv show, and it's not a skiffy book.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait... you're saying nobody in the audience had ever heard of Voyager before they saw the movie?

He never had an initial reign.

20. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He is one of the augments from the Botany Bay. Klingons came across the ship, activated the Khan pod, and Khan died from cardiac arrest because the Klingons didn't bring a medic aboard. John Harrison is woken up, and he and his surviving augments take over the ship and set course for outside the galaxy. Once they cross the galactic barrier, everyone is killed except Harrison (who develops incredible powers different from Mitchell, because of his enhanced genetic makeup), and he takes the ship back to it's point of origin, the Klingon Homeworld. He kicks ass there, and the Klingons quietly ask for help from the Federation because of this human who is kicking their butt. Enterprise arrives, and Harrison lets himself be caught, and they take him back to Earth.

...And that's where things get REALLY interesting... :lol:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012