Star Trek was completely shut out at the MTV Movie Awards!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 7, 2010.

1. WarMaster1701

WarMaster1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek cleaned up at the SpikeTV Awards, which is voted on just like the MTV movie awards

2. irunthis

irunthis Ensign Newbie

I was questioning the same thing too. But then I stopped with my thought processes after remembering that the MTV Movie Awards isn't really known for being prestigious. I mean, how did Sandra Bullock win that major award? Was it just because of her trials and tribulations in her personal life?

3. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Outperformed most other Trek critically too. Obviously doing something right with everyone that Trek could barely do with in its fanbase before.

Next question?

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It's pretty obvious that you missed the point entirely. It doesn't matter what other people think in terms of your own enjoyment of it. You can cite all the box office records, professional reviews, and movie awards, and that still shouldn't change your own enjoyment of the movie by one bit. Think for yourself.

5. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. No one here bitched about those awards when they're exactly the same, except Trek won some.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh, Bullock won an Oscar this year - more "prestigious" than either an MTV award or any kind of award that skiffy fans have dreamt up. :lol:

7. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

I'd be a little more worried if the movie hadn't come out more than a year ago. The voting for this movie happened WEEEEELLLLLLLL after the movie had finished its theatrical run, and therefore its main moment in the sun. For as much as DVD / BluRay sales are the real money for Paramount these days, the key time for visibility is the Theatrical Run. Trek 09 did well at the Spike awards, which is a much better sign of the place that Trek had when it was out in the theatres.

And, as someone else mentioned, do we really WANT Trek to get lumped in with Twilight?!

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Why does your opinion of quality matter? Or mine?

Why shouldn't the opinions of millions and millions of other people matter as much or more?

The "popularity doesn't equal good" assertion generally only comes up when it's useful in ignoring the success of something one doesn't like. The idea that Trek fans in general, or the fans on this board, represent some exalted standard of taste as regards these things is arrant nonsense.

As far as I'm concerned, this movie was better than most Trek since TOS (the actual series) - and I've seen and liked most of those shows and movies.

9. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

See, what you're partly getting at is that there can be some sort of objective truth when it comes to opinions, and that's just wrong.

It doesn't matter if some idiot on this board likes/dislikes the movie or even goes against the grain. It doesn't matter if MTV shut it out or if it won any other awards. It doesn't matter how much money it made. All that will possibly do is ensure another movie by the same creative team, or make people who agree feel like their opinion is validated.

But what really matters is one's own opinion, and they shouldn't feel threatened if a majority (or selective subset perceived as a majority) disagrees with them. Brett's comment seemed to be just his own opinion despite some possibly poor wording, but countering that with a declaration that the movie made a lot of money just seems strange to me. So what if the movie made a lot of money? Is the guy with that opinion supposed to just roll over, admit some sort of defeat, and join the majority? I dunno, that just sounds weird to me.

10. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

As far as I'm concerned, the less anything that I like is associated with MTV, the better. That channel has been a joke for a long time, and I even have it deleted from my channel list. Their opinions mean nothing to me.

11. MvRojo

Wow, way to take life too seriously. :rolleyes:

12. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Having a strong opinion is taking life way too seriously? Have you watched the shows on that channel? If you like them, more power to you, but I think it's the worst channel on television (and there are a lot of bad ones out there).

Based on their programming decisions, I certainly don't trust them to determine what constitutes a good movie. MTV having a movie awards show is like The Food Network having a music awards show. No credibility there.

If voicing that opinion is "taking life way too seriously", then I guess I'm guilty. Enjoy your MTV. :rolleyes:

13. MvRojo

I'm just saying that the fact you get mad at something for not liking what you like is sad. The MTV Movie Awards has and always will be an entertainment show, not an awards show. Why would you let anything determine what constitutes a good movie to you (and that includes the Oscars)? They're all opinion polls with their own discrete voting groups.

14. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

I simply made the point that I do not like or watch MTV, therefor them overlooking ST09 doesn't bother me. I didn't say I was mad at anyone. It was your "way to take life too seriously" comment that had me puzzled and a bit fired up (briefly), mainly because I just didn't understand where you were coming from with that.

I watched and loved MTV in the '80s, and I think that what the channel has become since then is nothing short of embarrassing. I doubt I'm the only one in my age group who feels that way.

Of course I wouldn't let anything determine what's a good movie to me, including the Oscars (which I also do not watch). The bottom line is that I can't stand MTV, so why would I care what their movie opinions are? I don't see how that's "sad" or misguided or whatever. It's simply my opinion. :techman:

15. MvRojo

Yeah, sorry about that. We both agree that their programming generally sucks. It's why they are just "MTV" now and it doesn't stand for Music Television anymore.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No. I'm really, really not.

17. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

They really should rename it completely.

I will give them the fact that in the past they did at least recognize a lot of movies that I love that the Oscars would never even admit existed. But like I said, I haven't watched the MTV movie awards in many years, since the channel became completely unwatchable to me.

I am a bit surprised they overlooked ST09, since they usually want to at least appear "hip". *shrug*

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any boycotts yet? ;)

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The new pledge shall be:
    "If I shall ever start watching MTV, I promise to immediately stop watching it because they shut out Star Trek '09 at their Movie Awards show...uh-huh, take that!"

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think for myself. I like the film.

And still changes nothing else.