New Frontier no more?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dstyer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

With no new novel from the New Frontier line announced (that I've seen - apologies if I'm not up to date), has anyone heard if Peter is done with his corner of the sandbox?

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's all up to Pocket at this point. No new book has been ordered, but neither has the series officially come to an end. It all depends on the sales of the last book weather another will follow. I for one hope for the next to be the last, an epic finale to the series so that we aren't left hanging without a final book.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

PAD is awaiting an invitation to pitch a new story. He's not "done" with NF but is always busy with lots of other stuff, so until that invitation comes from Pocket's editor, it seems we are at a stalemate. If sales of the last two (in trade PB, with MMPB reprint a year later, rather than the old hardcover deal he used to have) were disappointing, that might be it for a while.

In 2011, PAD said, on his blog:
    http://www.peterdavid.net/2011/04/25/blind-mans-bluff/

and in the linked interview, he says:
    But there's no reason why it can't bob up again some day. Good characters have a way of surviving.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm hoping we'll get just one last final entry so the whole crew gets a proper conclusion from PAD. After that, I wouldn't mind seeing them pop up now and then in the "main line" of books during the Typhon Pact era.

5. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Soleta would be interesting in Kamemor's new Romulus, to be sure.

6. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

One wonders if other authors would pitch on NF with the current situation? I'd love a Typhon Pact book touching on NF...

7. Therin of Andor

Doubtful. The pro authors aren't usually burning to use other authors' original characters. They are more likely to be busy creating their own. If PAD announces he's officially done with NF, then it might happen, but PAD is already on record as willing to do more. If asked.

More likely, perhaps: PAD might get asked to pitch a "Typhon Pact" contribution for his next NF.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a proper finale to NF, but if it is done for good I wouldn't be overly dissapointed. There are a lot better series out there (VOY Relaunch, Titan, TNG Relaunch...) that I would rather see the TPTB focus on.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's basicly how I feel. I lost interest in NF after the entire Beings plot. I bought the novel that came after that, the one were Janos left at the end. But that's was it for me. To much of that novel just didn't make sense to me anymore. That little tribble-like creature being a mastermind? Calhoun ordering the destruction of the Kobiyahsi Maru and his teachers thought it was original thinking or something like that? It just got to silly for me.

But I do feel that any series should get a decent ending, and not just be cancelled. So, for the fans I hope there will be one last huraah.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It needs to be rolled into the novel mainstream to be used occasionally like The Aventine.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see that working. Since NF is so associated with Peter David, I'd rather not get NF novels written by someone else, but I think cameos or guest supporting roles in other authors' books could be fun.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KRAD already did that with Shelby, in Q&A. Worked very nicely if you ask me.

13. Ben Sisko

Ben Sisko Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think PAD burned up the last of his Trek cred with Before Dishonor.

That and he's never been good at playing by the established novelverse rules. THe NF novels became so outrageous and comicbook like that I stopped reading after McHenry turned into Apollo's son and all of Kebron's skin fell off.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Became so outrageous"? The first book ended with a planet turning out to be a gigantic egg for an insanely giant bird that could fly through space at warp 9. The tone of the series was set from the get-go.

15. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I would like them to show up every now on the in other works. I only read some NF short stories because i do not have the time to read the whole thing and also i like to know how the aliens i am reading about look like.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  16. Therin of Andor

The liens all look like Kes. :rommie:

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was the fourth book, technically, but the first arc. :)

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yes, of course! I forgot NF started off with 4 mini-novels.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Like little pictureless comic books! Or something.

NF is one of those things that I really wish I could experience again for the first time. I was only about 12 when the first set of novels came out, and I remember having so much fun with them. I almost wonder if that's what has changed for me. Have the novels really gotten sillier, or am I just older and more critical?

I admit I started losing interest around the big time jump. Suddenly my favorite Trek crew was separated all over the Quadrant doing different things. I'm all for character growth and development, but I also like my crew on the bridge of their ship.

20. Therin of Andor

I still enjoy them just as much as ever, although some of the recent character arcs have been rather grim.