A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

To be completely 100% accurate (and pedantic), it's Jeyne Poole, being forced by the Lannisters to go to Ramsay, posing as Arya to marry him, in order to solidify control in the North. So far, the changes they've made are definitely less convoluted and byzantine than what happened in the books.

So it sounds now like Brienne is going to play the role of Sansa's savior once everyone realizes what's going to happen, replacing the "disguised" (and now dead) Mance Rayder and his wildling girls and attempting to get her out. It will be interesting to see how much Theon's story changes or doesn't in this new context. Sadly, he seems to have been relegated to a minor recurring character now. Brienne and Theon may both likely assist getting Sansa out and, while on their way to the Wall, runs into Stannis' army on the march to retake Winterfell. They will likely bypass Stannis' currying of favor from the Northern peoples while he's on his way. Brienne loses her shit when she sees him and hilarity ensues. That's my prediction based on where things are going at present. :)

Danny's story has become predictably boring, just like in the books, and Tyrion's story has become extraordinarily abbreviated. No traveling down the Rhoyne, no Young Griff, no Stone Men. He should be in Meereen by next episode. How big is the continent of Essos again? :p

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Some of the synopsis for the second half of batch of episodes would suggest a larger role for Theon. I hope so anyway.

I wonder if we'll see his sister this season?

3. 137th Gebirg

We might. There is still opportunity for Stannis' army to capture what's left of her group after they left the Dreadfort last season. Things seem to move along at the speed of plot in this show, so I would be surprised at all if they did that. IIRC, they've also started mentioning Alysane Mormont in-dialog (I think it was her - Jeor's niece, did they say?), who eventually becomes Asha/Yara's guard, so I suspect we'll be seeing her as well.

4. Captaindemotion

Theon is one of the few people who knows that the surviving Stark brothers are alive. His and Sansa's paths look set to cross this season. Presumably she will learn about her brothers. We may get Lord Manderley at the wedding of Sansa and Ramsay but there is as yet no sign of Davos setting off to parlay with him. Instead of him sending Davos to retrieve Osha and Rickon might Sansa send Brienne and Pod?

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

They really wrecked her character so I don't even give a shit at this point.

Why they jettisoned book Asha, I'll never know.

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meanwhile, Balon still hasn't plummeted to his death. I guess one of Stannis's three leeches was a dud. :p

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well we don't know for sure, he might have...

"Kraken tend not to fly as much as plummet."

8. Captaindemotion

I can understand why they didn't want to devote time to the Iron Born kings moot and succession. But a line along the lines of 'since the sudden mysterious death of Balon Greyjoy, the iron islands have been plunged into a bitter succession struggle and taken no further part in the dispute with the realm' would've got the point home.

9. 137th Gebirg

Was wondering about all that myself. Yes, a simple single line of dialog could have done away with the Ironborn story altogether. Instead, they're kind of just left hanging out there. Maybe, if Asha/Yara does in fact get captured, we'll briefly hear something to that effect and be able to get on with the rest of it. Maybe some kind of sad dramatic moment when one of her captors tells her that daddy's taken a swan dive. Not too late, but it is still very late in coming.

10. Captaindemotion

I half wonder if they left Balon alive just so they could include the scene where Ramsay posted Theon's severed manhood to him.

11. 137th Gebirg

Maybe so, but it's been a while since that occurred and one would think that they would finally try to tie up that loose end, especially since his name was specifically mentioned during the leech burning scene.

I think the best time would have been for Asha/Yara to find out about Balon's death right before her attempt at rescuing Theon from the Dreadfort - using that as motivation to retrieve the last living male heir and also using it to try to convince him to come home if the need arose (which it would have with his "programming"). IMO, that would have been the best opportunity to include Balon's death in the mix. I can't imagine another context where it would matter at this point, especially since the whole Kingsmoot and Iron Fleet things have been basically wiped from the pages of the script.

12. Captaindemotion

^Agreed.

If you recall also, when Roose saw what Ramsay had done to Theon, he said 'That was the son of Balon Greyjoy.' That would've been another possible opportunity to kill him off offscreen:

'That was the son of Balon Greyjoy. His father died not one week ago. We had the heir to the Iron Islands in our grasp and you've rendered him useless to us.'

13. 137th Gebirg

Oh yes! That was another good spot for such a line. Man, they really dropped the ball on this one. Not that I really care if I ever see the Ironborn again, but for continuity's sake, they really need to tie that one down. And like we've shown, it would have been a relatively easy matter to handle with just a line or two of dialog. :sigh:

14. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Someone posted at Watchers on the Wall that the actress that plays Asha/Yara would be back this season, but they did not quote a source. It could be wishful thinking.

15. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

Which makes it all but certain that the Young Griff is not as a major player in the books either as the book 5 cliffhangers and book 6 previews are leading us to believe.

I miss Balon's brothers though.

16. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Stone Men are definitely in, but moved from the Rhoyne to the Ruin of Valeria. They have built up greyscale so much this season, and now Jorah and Tyrion are sailing past the Ruin to get to Meereen. I would bet money that Jorah takes JonCon's place regarding that particular plotline.

17. Captaindemotion

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I wonder if we are seeing Tyrion may take over Young Griff's storyline.

Considering in this episode we saw them visit Valantis (which never happens in the books) and then Tyrion attacked by stonemen (which happens with Young Griff) and then saved by Jorah who gets infected (which happens to Jon Connington in the books). Theres always been speculation Tyrion is Aerys child...

19. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Danerys is now butchering potentially innocent people because she's angry....our hero, ladies and gentlemen :rolleyes:
    Also a mother "doesn't abandon her children?" No she just chains them up in the darkness for no reason, you self-righteous little...:klingon:

And then the show still tries to sell her as this wonderful, just person on her conversation with Missandei. I call poopiecack on that to me she's now the Mother of Batshit.
    Really surprised that they kept the marriage, I was hoping they'd wrap up Mereen much faster, it really soured me on Danerys in the books and now it's doing the same in the show.

So I guess this rules out any appearance of the Young Griff, pity since he could at the very least supplied some more male eyecandy to the show. But it makes sense, while the Shy Maid was the only part of the last two books I genuinely enjoyed he simply showed up too late in the game. No Ser Duckfield or Septa Lemore either then :( And sorry, in my eyes, Jon Con>Jorrah, in general I enjoyed the crew of the Shy Maid more than Daenery's entourage with their repetitive names and annoying linguistic quirks(Thankfully no one in the show is referring to themselves as "This One":scream:). I wished Martin had saved them for some other story.

So it's likely going to be Brienne and Pod who rescue Sansa during her Wedding Night...makes sense.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we're supposed to be questioning Dany's sanity and suitability to rule at this point. I certainly was in the book, but for different reasons. Whereas she was acting like a spoilt over-hormonal teenager (with some excuse, seeing as she is) with anger issues the show seems to just being straight up with her possibly descending into "Mad Queen" territory.

Jon really needs to be pushing the issue of "Army of the dead, motherfuckers, what do you not understand about this?" It isn't going to be much of a surprise when they turn on him at this point, though I hope we at least get a nice redemptive moment from Thorne rather than going with the easy way out of having him as one of the conspirators. Thorne may have a gaping asshole for a personality, but I think he has a bit too much honor and dignity for mutiny.

Looks like they'll send Sam and Aemon south to the Citadel after all; Sam's little pink mast may yet make an appearance.

Last edited: May 11, 2015