your favourite moment of all time?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dal Rassak, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Right, it's difficult enough to pick a favourite episode in this excellent series - so many contenders; worse to pick a favourite scene...

...even so, does anyone have a single favourite MOMENT that they could point to above all others?

My one is towards the end of "Sacrifice of Angels" when Dukat gives Damar the order to fire on the minefield (having delayed just for a couple of heartbeats just in order to really relish the occasion), and then the whole damn shooting match goes up! (Rom and Kira having been just that fraction of a second too late...)

This is my one top instant, bar nothing.

2. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know it's very sappy and corny, so I apologize in advance...and I'm usually not a fan of stories where everything in wrapped up into a nice little bow at the end...but to me those scenes in the final episode starting with Vic (great addition to the show for me), and all of the scenes where the characters are thinking back and we see brief clips from past episodes, and finally the camera pulling away from DS9 slowly with Kira and Jake in the window, and that music! They successfully pulled at my heart on that one. It was an awesome finale.

(sorry, I know those are multiple moments and not a single moment. I cheated.)

My only wish, and I know others have mentioned this, is for Worf's "looking back" scene to focus on his relationship with Jadzia rather than Ezri, or at least MOSTLY scenes with Jadzia. I understand that there were reasons behind the scenes. But it would be nice for that to be corrected if we ever get DS9 on blu-ray. It shouldn't be too difficult and hopefully enough time has passed that they can do it.

3. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

My favourite is in Heart of Stone when Nog explains to Sisko why he wants to be in Starfleet: "Beacause I don't want to end up like my father!"

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kira. "That was some kiss."

Odo "Changed my life."

5. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sisko's last monologue at the end of In the Pale Moonlight. If there was any doubt that DS9 was not playing by the same rules as any of the other Trek series, this episode pushed that doubt away.

"So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning of all... I think I can live with it... And if I had to do it all over again... I would. Garak was right about one thing – a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it...Because I can live with it...I can live with it. Computer – erase that entire personal log."

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think my favorite moment of the series is the end of The Visitor:

"To my Father, who is coming home."

I tear up every time I see that scene.

7. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ YES! Great moment!

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I came here to post this.

Ending of The Visitor made me cry like a little bitch though.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

The scene in the Prophet recreated Saratoga corridor from Emissary:

TACTICAL: But this is your existence.
    SISKO: But it's difficult to be here, more difficult than any other memory.
    TACTICAL: Why?
    SISKO: Because, because this was the day that I lost Jennifer. I don't want to be here.
    JENNIFER: Then why do you exist here?
    SISKO: I don't understand.
    JENNIFER: You exist here.

As someone who has lost quite a few friends and relatives along the way, this is the scene that resonates the most for me from all of Trek.

10. tomalak301

I just watched Emissary this last weekend and the more I see this episode, the more I think it might be the best pilot. You get so much out of each viewing and the scene you mentioned, BillJ, was terrific. He was teaching the prophets about Linear time and the Prophets were teaching him to not grieve anymore and move on. It was a really poignant scene and beautifully executed.

11. DalekJim

Emissary is an excellent pilot, to the best Star Trek series.

The Cage is the best pilot though. I wish Trek did that type of hard sci-fi more often.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Definitely the best pilot of the Modern Trek era, though I do rank the two TOS pilots a bit higher. :techman:

13. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One more for the Pale Moonlight monologue.

Damn that's a good episode.

14. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

GOWRON

I should've known better than to
    trust you again. If you were a
    true Klingon, I would kill you
    where you stand. Fortunately for
    you, that child's uniform shields
    you from your rightful fate.

WORF
    What I say now, I say as a member
    of the House of Martok, not as a
    Starfleet officer... you have
    dishonored yourself and the
    Empire. You are not worthy of
    leading the Council.

15. DalekJim

May as well chuck in a shout-out for "IT'S RREEEEEAAAL!". People dismiss Brooks' acting in that scene but I think he's amazing in it.

16. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People dismiss his acting in that ep? His acting is an..acquired taste... in other eps..but, I think he's fine in that one.

17. tomalak301

I want to give another moment that was a favorite and made me convinced Ezri was a worthy replacement to Jadzia. It was her scene with Worf in Tacking into the Wind where she rightfully criticizes Klingon History sending Worf over the edge. Considering Curzon and Jadzia were very much engrained in Klingon society, to have Ezri come out and say that was very bold and one of my many favorite scenes in the episode.

18. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    ^+1 That was mine. It was Ezri's statement, not his conversation with Sisko that motivated Worf to do what he did.

^I agree. I was amazing. ;)

19. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely seconded (though I don't think it will happen when DS9 reaches blu-ray :( )

My wife cries throughout that whole episode, and I definitely tear up during many moments.

Just introduced a friend to DS9 this weekend and he was shocked that that was the pilot, just because how good it was. I do think it's the best - so emotional, without playing on emotions cheaply.

For me, though there are moments which I think are better, none come close to capturing how I felt when I saw the epic Gowron/Worf fight when I first watched the show. When Worf was thrown through the glass, I was just in awe. Now yeah - I know Trek isn't exactly renown for its fighting choreography, and I've seen many, many far better fight sequences. But for some reason, in the context of the overreaching Klingon storyline, DS9, and the episode itself, that scene just wowed me more than any other.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Morose man at bar.
    Quark [paraphrasing here]: Good evening! What can I get for you?
    Morose man: Nothing. Nothing will make it better.
    Quark: A challenge!