Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm not crazy about "The Tenth Planet" but it's far superior to "Reign of Terror." The ADHD editing alone makes "Reign of Terror" unwatchable.

Meanwhile, "The Invasion" is brilliant. It's got this spooky, noir-ish tone that takes every advantage of the animated medium. And while the animation isn't photo-realistic, the characters are drawn plainly enough that it's always clear what's happening and who is doing what.

"The Moonbase" & "The Ice Warriors" mimic the drawing style of "The Invasion" but lack the imagination & composition. They basically just use animation to give us their best guess interpretation of what the original, mundanely-staged live action episodes probably looked like.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The reconstruction of "The Ice Warriors" had pretty terrible animation -- the way the bodies' limbs moved in 2D like paper cutouts, instead of being animated with any kind of dimension or changing perspective as they moved, looked ridiculous and distracting. And it was weird, given that the heads seemed to move in 3D.

I still haven't seen "The Tenth Planet."

3. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

For me, the animation of the players is stilted and there isn't much detail in the world they are interacting with. I have seen better animation and world building in the 1930s Betty Boop cartoons than in the Doctor Who animations.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there really any point comparing something produced for theatrical release with something produced with (part of) the Extras Budget for a niche DVD release?

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely agree with your assessment of the animations. But, I'm thankful for all of them. I'm not into just the audios, so the animations allow me to see complete stories that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. The quality of all of them is sufficient to fulfill that.

Mr Awe

6. Christopher

I sometimes think that, as a matter of archival completeness, what would be best might be a hybrid, something that incorporates all available clips and telesnaps, and just uses animated sequences to bridge them, to fill in the gaps in what we have. Although that might call for a different, less cartoony animation style so the transition would be less jarring.

By the way, I've been thinking I should try to do a thorough Classic-Who rewatch. I've been borrowing DVDs from the library in a random order when I could find them, but I've been thinking I should try a more systematic, chronological watch-through, including the reconstructions of the lost episodes. Are all the audio/telesnap reconstructions available on YouTube?

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yes, all Telesnap/Fan Recons are available on Youtube (with the possible exception of a couple have been pulled that have Animated releases now).

The Moonbase missing episodes have a fan reconstruction that animated the Telesnaps, which I find more enjoyable, personally. Also, Power of the Daleks has this treatment for Episode 1, Episode 2 and about 8 minutes of Episode 3. Marco Polo Recon is all in color pictures

Also, last thing I knew, you could actually find all the existant episodes on either Youtube or Dailymotion, so, if you can't find the DVDs to borrow from the library, you should be able to find all of them (with the possible exception of the colorized episodes of Pertwee).

IE: Apparently BBC has no problem with the episodes all being there, unless it's a semi-recently released found, animated or colorized episode.

8. Christopher

^Hulu Plus has most of the complete serials of the classic series, but I prefer the DVDs because they have all those awesome bonus features. I wish online streaming services would include documentaries and commentary tracks and infotext subtitles along with the basic episodes.

9. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I tend to believe in the back of my mind there is a plan that they will release the classics in season box sets in the coming future, and if nothing new has been found (I gave up on that rumor), I kinda think they will do telesnap reconstructions for Hartnell and Troughton's missing stories - for the sake of completeness.

Loose canon did very good work and I think they should be praised. Two things gets me thinking about the box set notion; why did their site go down and allowed to lapse for renewal? And on youtube and other sites, LC's "bonus" material (usually interviews) is often pulled by the BBC. Is it possible that the BBC wants to team up with LC and utilize the work they've done? (The recon of "Galaxy 4" on the expanded "Aztecs" was a condensed version of LC's version).

Some people don't like the recons; but I do ("Wheel in Space" and "Power of the Daleks" being my favorites) and having them included on the sets certainly would be an incentive for me to "double dip". I think most fans would like to be at least familiar with the stories (even the audio discs are getting hard to find and quite pricey).

(oh BTW, now the rumor mill is saying "The Smugglers" was found in Cardiff. I give up - fool me once.....)

10. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

All of it? In Cardiff? That seems highly unlikely.

Just did a quick check to see what the rumour consisted of. Aren't those rumours a little old anyway? The only ones I could find were 2013 or 14, nothing this year, and I'd imagine we'd hear by now.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, you're search was more successful than mine, as I couldn't even find anything about that. Granted, all I did was a Google web search and news search for "Doctor Who The Smugglers" and when that turned up zilch, I checked out Ian Levine's Twitter which was equally zilch. I then tossed in the towel on the matter.

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Basically there hasn't been a single verifiably true statement made by any of the Omnirumourmongers since before November 2013.

Most of them gave up after Marco Polo failed to turn up despite declaring it was back at the BBC and ready to go. When it didn't they claimed that "rights issues" held it up at the last minute but it turns out the BBC has agreements in place now with all of the various Unions that allow any archive material to be released without having to have everyone involved signing off on it.

At this point there are only a couple of people who keep popping up every now and then to "update the situation", while avoiding having to explain why none of their previous pronouncements were accurate.

13. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Ian was doing Reign of Terror, he was doing (well paying for) The Massacre, but then switched to The Daleks' Masterplan.

The Invasion was from an estabished animation studio and had reasonable money behind it - left over from the Scream of the Shalka sequel that wasn't needed when the TV show came back instead.

The Reign of Terror, Tenth Planet and the Moonbase were from a newly formed studio done for a fraction of the price - Reign nearly gives me motion sickness though. They got it nearly right for the other episodes.

I actually find The Ice Warriors animation - from another studio - easier on the eye, Its animation that doesn't pretend to be anything but.

However Tenth Planet, Moonbase and Ice Warriors all had Telesnaps so they knew what was on screen every 20-30 seconds. It's Reign and Invasion that had more artistic freedom.
    First I've heard of that rumour; I did hear another about it in another country that sounded like nonsense, but it was precise enough to be followed up so I mentioned it to one of the experts.

The BBC Galaxy Four wasn't a straight cutdown of the LC effort, but a new version done by one of the team.

Personally I think its quite telling no one seems to think its worth wasting time or money on improving recons or animations until the results of Phil Morris' epic search are concluded. There's a much better Galaxy 4, Daleks' Masterplan, Underwater Menace, Web of Fear 3 recon just waiting to be done. And yet...
    Ian has been taken in too many times to fall for any old rumour now.

I still don't think we are done. Never believed in 90, but when I first heard the story 18 months before the anniversary the list included Enemy, Web and two other Troughtons, the name Phillip Morris and said we'd get nothing before the anniversary.

Until we've been told what else has been found and it doesn't include Who, I think there's a rather good chance it does.

Quite when that will happen God knows.

14. Sindatur

Ian Levine did Dalek's Master Plan? I know he did the 1 episode Prequel Mission to the Unknown, but, didn't know about the 9 missing Episodes of Dalek's Master Plan?

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It's been often stated that the two returned stories in 2013 were just testing the waters to see how fans would react, what kind of interest the BBC/general public would have, trying to see who can be trusted and who can't (saying Marco Polo had been found too then seeing where that leaks out). Hell, I've heard stories that Phil told people at the BBC there were 12 cans in Nigeria, that Web 3 WAS on the shelf, but by the time it arrived at the BBC there were only 11 and nothing else was mentioned of it.

I don't believe anything until I see a press release.

16. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He barely started it, as far as I know. But he did switch from his favourite story (The Massacre) to the longest and hardest, which is also the least likely to show up.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You can forget that then.

It's proven far too dangerous trying to recover material from third world countries...

:)

18. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not exactly. This source says a different story.

They were also commisioned for The Infinite Quest, weren't they?

Agreed.

I hope you're right.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Any news ?

20. Sindatur

LOL, if there was any news, you wouldn't need to ask, it would be posted in this thread seconds after it hits the net.