Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I just don't see it - the Netflix one is blunky body armour - his new comic costume is a skin-tight outfit very similar to previous ones.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

RE: Star Wars: Lando #1-- Wow, when Lando makes an enemy he doesn't fool around, does he?:lol:

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought Civil War and Age of Apocalypse were excellent Secret War tie-ins. For the vast majority of the ones I've sampled I just didn't care, but I cared about these two. I think it's because they're adapting two of my all time favorite stories and they also have great art. But they just feel like they have actual stories unlike the other ones.

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starlord is also now a woman.

As is Thor. Peter Parker has Parker Industries, the movie has him back in highschool. Where the highschool version of Spider-Man in the comics is Miles Morales. Daredevil's costume in the comics works. It was awful by the end of t he show, they look nothing alike save the basic silhouette.

These things are getting farther from the movies than not overall.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's more like Jane Foster has taken on the role of Thor and the Thor that we know is pretty much unemployed. The emphasis of her role is almost certainly tied to the prominence of the Portman played character in the MCU.

7. M'rk son of Mogh

Isn't that kind of backwards? She was important in the books as well and simply continues to be, with the added bonus of diversifying the heavy hitters in the comic book universe almost in direct opposition of the movies.

That's like saying Foggy Nelson will be important in Daredevil comics now because of his prominence in the TV show and Disney is forcing that. Totally ignoring the history of the comics.

8. Hound of UIster

No. She stopped becoming a central character or even an important secondary character in the 80s.

Since Walter Simonson's run on Thor, Jane Foster has pretty much became irrelevant with only sporadic appearances in the three decades between Simonson and Jason Aaron. Both Enchantress and Sif filled the role of the female love interest (in Jurgens and Ellis) and female character in Thor.

It's the same deal with Loki's redemption arc that you see in Gillen's JiM and Ewing's Loki Agent of Asgard. They are both very much a result of the MCU.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you can't deny the movies are influencing the comics.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  9. M'rk son of Mogh

And in more "Marvel's not influenced by the movies" news, the Guardians of the Galaxy line-up has removed Peter Quill and Gamora and now half the team can't even legally be in the next movie (Kitty Pryde, Thing, and Venom).

I do think Thing being on the team really does harken back to his space pilot roots and could be a fun call as someone that has seen everything as an explorer but never really long term.

In fact, I love Bendis' quote:

"What I'm trying to do in the book is give people something they're not going to get in the movies or the TV shows"

The comics can do anything, they aren't stifled by contracts or budget or ego or anything like that. Take advantage!

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are a lot differences, I don't think anyone is going to deny that. But there are still a lot of influences from the movies in there. I have a feeling Falcon probably wouldn't be the new Captain America if it weren't for the fact that he was a fairly major character in CA: The Winter Soldier, and played a supporting role in Age of Ultron
    and Ant-Man
    Kitty Pride is even wearing the same movie inspired costume that Peter did.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes there are things that are drastically different than in the MCU...I don't think any of us are denying that...Star-Lord is actually Kitty Pryde while Peter tries to go and full full his duty as the newly elected Emperor of Spartax....what we are saying is that there IS and ARE direct influences from the movie in the books, this is going to continue because Disney is apparently starting to mandate this from up top. I'm not say that this will reflect every single book or character, but it will be obvious in some things. While other things will remain the same. JD above pointed out a a small thing like Kitty's costume, etc.

Also I didn't intend to imply that this was a bad thing...it was merely an observation that I've noticed in recent months.

12. Hound of UIster

Right the emphasis on the Inhumans, Soule being chosen over Fraction on Inhumans because Soule's take was supposedly closer to the movie's, the Captain Marvel book being not cancelled despite bad sales, Loki Agent of Asgard, the Fantastic Four and X-books becoming low priority, these are all a result of Marvel editorial trying to synchronize with the movie franchise.

And you think this team shuffle is going to be permanent? :lol:

I'll give Bendis credit if he sticks with it for three years, but you and I know he won't.

These are imo two of the good things that the movies have brought.

The Ant-Man book with Spencer is great. Ditto for Remender's CapSam. It's just too bad he is leaving the book when he has hit his stride (UA has never had that option).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Gaurdians line up as I understand things is in flux and supposed to rotate and not be "Fixed". Having Carol part of the team ended up being much ado about nothing IMO.

@Hound of UIster understands exactly what myself and Pipes were trying to convey in our posts about this topic.

I give Bendis until the sequel to be honest before he leaves the book. His first year was great IMO...he started loosing me prior to SW though and the stupid Black Vortex crossover did the book no favors whatsoever. Interrupted two major arcs in "All Meh" and "Guardians". All so they could destroy Hala and I guess give Gamora "cosmic powers" for some reason?

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Antman Annual was hilarious ;)

15. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Hound of UIster

>written by Frank Tieri.

Not good.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i like Weirdworld so i'm pleased it will tie into that. really like that cover. i'll be happy if they get away from the t-shirt and jacket look.

18. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on the sketches, he has a whole new armor. No more casual wear.

Tieri isn't perfect, but he's written the Black Knight before. I think this could be good.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Secret Wars #5 was great. We finally found out how Doom beat the Beyonders.

I must say, the Secret Wars crossover on the whole has really disappointed me. It's just a series of what if stories with almost no connection to each other. None of the endless tie-in books have the slightest connection to the primary story in the main series. And none of them are as well written either. It's too bad Hickman couldn't have written some of them.

Of the tie-ins I've read, I think I only really liked Civil War, A-Force, and Spider-Man Renew Your Vows.

At this point, I'm anxious to get back to the "real" Marvel Universe.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

Although Starlord loves Kitty Pride has the Starlord from the Life raft who remembers the old world, bumping into Kitty Pryde working for Valeria Von Doom, and he's struggling to figure out why he's not in love with this same girl as well if it's she's still practically the same person, or if his Kitty is in there somewhere.

Some are good, most are bad, and others I don't even ewant to touch.

The "last days of" books are still in the old MCU, as these heroes say "#### me, is that a planet up there? Crashing into New York?" So you haven't been entirely deserted.