Heads up, Takedown available!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just noticed that my usual online retailer has started selling Takedown! Which means other online and brick and morter retailers will probably have it in stock as well. :)

Quite curious about this one, haven't read anything by John Jackson Miller yet.

2. aj1981

aj1981 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just had a look at all my regular sites including the most famous in the world & its still showing as pre-order only on all of them

3. Mage

Really? I always order through a Dutch retailer called bol.com, and there it's showing as available. I just checked Amazon, and that still shows as pre-order, like you said.

Kinda odd.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But bol shows it with a delivery time of 5-10 workdays (at least for me), so it basically is on preorder as well, as amazon will have it as shipping within 24 hours once they have it in stock.

5. Mage

Bol doesn't usually stock books like this themselves, they order in for every book someone orders. Makes sense, since the market for TrekLit in The Netherlands is less then stellar. :)

However, often when I post about a book being available on Bol, others chime in that they've seen either copies in stories or available online aswell.

6. aj1981

aj1981 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Like I said in my post on the coming soon thread for Takedown, I have mixed feelings about this because I wasn't a big fan of Miller's first Trek story Absent Enemies. Having read Miller's notes on his website I think he's taken the criticism about characterizations and continuity onboard and Takedown should be better.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got shipping confirmation on my copy Friday, so I expect it well before the official release date.

8. JJMiller

JJMiller Writer Red Shirt

A store in my Wisconsin area broke the street date, as well; I wonder if there isn't some different date somewhere in the supply chain. However you got it, enjoy!

(And yes, Takedown is quite different in tone from Enemies, given the subject matters.)

9. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

Good heavens, I haven't even finished The Missing yet. I've often been suprised at how quickly the novels reach the Netherlands these days, we tend to match the UK release dates with at most a delay of 1-2 days. :) So thanks for the heads-up.

10. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Interesting. I noticed that since August, B&N have really tightened the shelf-date for the Star Trek books. I remember them coming out nearly 10 days early a few years ago, but it had normalized the Thursday/Friday before release. Ever since Seekers came out, my local B&N has only gotten the books the day before release.

11. JJMiller

JJMiller Writer Red Shirt

I think in general mass-market paperback street dates tend to be looser. Perhaps due to the money riding on hardcover releases, the advance boxes I get of those have "Do Not Sell Until..." stickers on them that you could see from orbit.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought book release dates in general weren't really adhered to unless it was a "big deal" release, like Harry Potter where book stores open up at midnight to mark the event.

And even then, with online pre-orders it's pretty much par for the course to get them before release date. I remember my mother pre-ordered the last Dan Brown novel and it arrived a week before release date.

13. Mage

Tirius, where do you get your TrekLit?

14. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

Mostly through bol these days, though sometimes they show up at the largest local store here (Broese in Utrecht). I used to get them at one of the bookstores on the station, but they stopped selling them about just over a year ago. They had to cut down on their book section when the shop had to move for the station's reconstruction.

I tend to prefer buying at local stores, as they sometimes struggle to survive in the current online shopping climate. Sadly, they don't always have them on the shelf.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Mine arrived in Australia yesterday!

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Oh, this is too funny. Mine arrived yesterday. When I took the book out of the package, I noticed that there was an object, a card, or something, inserted near the back of the book. I didn't give it much thought as I assumed that it was a bookmark or a coupon or something inserted by Amazon or Pocket. Imagine my surprise when I found this-- a package of pasties! LOL! Yes, pasties! Those things that strippers in movies wear when the director wants the flick to be PG-13. WTF? Well, I was right about one thing, I can't imagine not using this as my bookmark now. LOL!

[​IMG]

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

"I swear, they appear uncalled for in my Star Trek books. I don't buy them".

"Right".

"No, I'm serious!"

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finally got mine today, but, uh, is it me or are the cover's edges sharp? I nearly got a nasty paper cut taking it out of the box.

19. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Yet another way Dead Tree books are superior to ebooks. Nobody ever got free pasties downloaded to their Kindle. :bolian: