The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You're right! My apologies. The shot as it appears in the finished episode does though.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x02/farpoint2_208.jpg

Very curious.

The more I look at the 2 footer, the less I am sure that it's in that finished shot. The deflector does not match at all. But the rim does. As does the super light detail. What an odd mix of elements we're seeing here.

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funky! Maybe they actually painted those in back then? Huh.

This Trek archaeology never gets boring. Just think: we have years of fussing over details like this ahead of us!

3. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

It never does get boring, indeed! Let the fussing begin! :-)

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched Peak Performance last night and man, those black cardboard pieces over the aft stations were really noticeable once you know what to look for. I wonder how they're going to deal with that, since it's the only visual flaw aside from the Enterprise towing the Hathaway scene at the end (which seems to be stretched out somehow, because the movement was kinda jerky and slow).

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No, I apologize. For some stupid reason, I thought you meant the beam. (Duh me, right?) Even though the Ent herself isn't a matte painting, at least I know now what we're talking about. And how it does look very touched up.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They could "easily" add some animated LCARS to those black panels.

7. Sho

There's so much stuff that's gonna be interesting to look at down the road. The game in The Game. The asteroid fields in Booby Trap and The Cost of Living. The morphs in Aquiel. The false colored outdoor photography in Final Mission is going to look stunning. All the details in the set of Dr. Soong's lab in Brothers I always wanted to be able to make out (I remember replaying my VHS taping of those scenes countless times because there was so much cool stuff on display there). I have the entirety of TNG ripped from my PAL DVDs on my home server, and no matter which of the files I open, there's something in there that's gonna be so cool. I feel like a kid in a gift shop.

Edit: The plasma fire in Disaster ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

In terms of effects work, the main thing I am looking forward to is all the current-tech compositing in the live action footage. All those bluescreen shots you always thought looked a bit funky? Gone! (Theoretically.) Rikers walking around each other, Soong family reunions, da woiks!

*I know most of the splitscreen for Brothers is fine, but shots like the one where Soong places a hand on Data's face will conceivably be real nice.

9. gaghyogi49

I'm trying not to get too excited about later season stuff but try to focus on Season 1 things. The data files Data reads in "The naked now", "The big goodbye" and "The Neutral Zone", that one cargo crate on Dytallix B in "Conspiracy" (I finally wanna see that logo clearly! ;-)) the thought galaxy in "Where no one has gone before", all of "11001001", the Tarellian ship, the Tkon animation... I'll have to update countless articles for EAS - can't wait! :-)

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't wait for the "What the hell is canon now" debates.

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm honestly surprised EAS doesn't have a "Variations of the Enterprise-D bridge" article yet :lol: But yeah, EAS is going to need a total overhaul of its TNG images once all the Blu-Rays come out. There's going to be so much more to analyze and nitpick, especially once BOBW and Unification come out.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I just can't wait for the Borg eps. Best of Both Worlds? Looking at that debris field? That was fun back when it was fuzz-o-vision, now it should look fantastic.

I wonder if they'll add in some more wrecks to make up the 39 ships? I don't mean have 39 wrecks on screen, but a few more than the 8 or so? (How many was it?) to make it seem like there were more ships.

13. Sho

Just thought of another thing that's going to be amazing to watch: The viewscreen footage of what Geordi sees through his visor. That's season 1, too! Heart of Glory.

[​IMG]

14. gaghyogi49

I agree, there's something cool in every episode, yes, even in "Justice" ;-)

15. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far I'm loving every single clip and screenshot that I've seen. I'm glad they've stayed faithful to the original and I positively cannot wait to watch this disc at home.

I haven't seen an episodes of TNG for almost a year now. So starting tomorrow I will make it a point to watch an episode of SD TNG every day, so that when I'm finally in posession of my copy, the difference will be even more jarring.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ I'm taking a different approach, I don't want to look at any more clips or pics until this finally comes out. I'm surprised that my interest is picqued in this because TNG hasn't really aged all that well for me but I am really fascinated by this HD conversion. Maybe because I've thought forever that the picture quality of the reruns has been terrible.

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not really one to double-dip. I was one of those people who faithfully ponied up the $100 price tag for each DVD boxed set of TNG as they were released back in, what, 2002? The thought of upgrading to blu ray did not interest me. However, now that I have seen just how spectacular this release is going to look, I am re-thinking my stance.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Is it just me, or have (most of) those ugly S1/S2 uniforms benefited greatly from this remastering? I still like the uniforms from Season Three and beyond better, but the early ones don't look as bad as they used to.

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to watching season one again. I never got round to buying the DVDs of the first season, so I won't have seen many of the episodes for god knows how long. Maybe the late nineties when the second round of BBC2 screenings started?

It's going to be exciting to view it all again afresh.

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Right now, more than any other FX shot, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done with the main title sequence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.