DOMINION DECLARATION

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by T'Girl, Feb 3, 2010.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Did the Federation council formally declare war upon the Dominion? Or is it part of Star Fleet's standing rules of engagement to begin, prosecute and end major wars on their own?

At some point did the ambassadors/delegates/representatives from all the member worlds meet in full session with the President (and Prime Minister?) in attendance. Was there a impassioned speech by the President, followed by a debate and a vote to declare that a state of war existed between the United Federation of Planets and the Dominion?

Or is a formal declaration of war this charming old custom from Earth's past that is no longer observed? There doesn't seem to have been any way for the Federation to send a notification of such a declaration to the Founders.

What do you think?

:angel:

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually it was the reverse. The Dominion declared war against the Federation. They did this because Starfleet had begun mining the entrance to the wormhole (which was in turn a response to Dominion incursions into the Alpha Quadrant - specifically, Cardassian territory).

The Federation has only a president, not a Prime Minister. The state of United Earth, OTOH, has both (it's a parliamentary republic - President as head of state, PM as head of government).

I doubt it. As I said, the Dominion was the side who declared war.

Yes, there would have been: Weyoun.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I understand it, a legal state of war doesn't exist, in this country, until declared by Congress--Germany declared war on us, but the Congress passed a bill of war on them (and Italy, and Romania, and so forth). Of course, there's no reason to believe that the Federation constitution even acknowledges legal states of war. It's not really necessary--you can't fight wars easily without needing them one bit.

I don't remember if the Dominion actually formally declared war on the Feds or anyone else.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Non-canonically I believe the Federation did declare war on the Dominion. Canonically I don't believe it was ever specified.

5. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I would argue that the Feds declared war implicitly by mining the wormhole, which was in itself an act of war.

But as for the OP's question, no, the Feds did not formally declare war. They like to do and endorse nefarious things yet without taking upfront responsiblity for them. Conducting war without declaring war is one of those things. The genocide disease is another, etc.

6. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because we always see the internal machinations of Federation government, and that disease certainly wasn't Section 31's work instead of the UFP. Nope.

7. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mining the Wormhole was an act of self-preservation, not war. Excursions for trade into the Gamma Quadrant should have been punishable by self-annihilation? I don't think so.

8. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ No, but wandering in there and taking planets and starting colonies on them wherever wouldn't be looked upon favourably by anyone, esp. as hostile as we in the Dominion are.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

If the Dominion had wanted the Federation to stop, they should have said so.

Conversely, the Dominion pouring troops into Cardassian space *was* inherently dangerous to the Federation, who had every right to stop it.

Or, by your own logic: Why should the Dominion be allowed to enter the Alpha Quadrant with impunity, but the Federation not be allowed into the GQ?

10. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Bajorans started a colony in the GQ, in space that was more than likely not held by the Dominion. As far as I recall the Feds didn't have any colonies in the GQ.

11. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

Sisko mentioned the Romulans officially declaring war on the Dominion in ITPML so it seems they practice that formality. I don't believe anything was mentioned in regards to any other powers formally declaring war.

12. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

The Bajoran government and the Federation had every right to place mines in their terrority. If they had placed mines in Cardassian space, or in Dominion space in the Gamma Quadrant, that would have been an act of war.

This was simply an act of internal defense. All they were doing was telling the Dominion that they couldn't pass through Bajoran space and they set up a means to make that possible. In effect, they were fortifying their borders, which every state has the right to do.

13. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

How vast is Dominion space? You don't see any Borg present in the Gamma Quadrant. Does the Dominion control entire Gamma Quadrant? The Dominion were very hyper sensitive to any outsider entering their space. So I guesss any motive friendly or not is an act of war. The ferengi couldn't even make any serious profitable trading or selling in Quadrant.

14. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We were gonna invade the AQ anyway!

But the Feds were flying around in the GQ, and looking over planets for mining etc. And even if it wasn't "in" the space, between Fed and Rom. space there's a neutral zone...

15. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

The Feds were within their rights to mine the wormhole, especially with the blessing of the Bajoran liason officer. On the other hand, history condemns the Japanese Navy's attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The Federation was equally guilty of a savage act of war when they launched their preemptive attack on the Torros III shipyards. The Feds started the Dominion War, though you could argue that it would have happened sooner or later.

16. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually the war really started with the destruction of the USS Odyssey.

-Chris

17. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is what you expect spacefaring people to do, fly around and look at things.

What does the Romulan Neutral Zone have to do with the Federation and Dominion in the GQ? The RNZ was created supposedly created out of whatever treaty that ended the Earth-Romulan War that set out a buffer zone between the two groups and set specific borders. No such agreement existed between the Federation and the Dominion, for one thing Federation territory and Dominion territory didn't come into contact until the Dominion owned Cardassia and the Dominion did not engage the Federation diplomatically to set up that sort of treaty.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^^While that might be the first visible sign, I'd argue the unwarranted destruction of the New Bajor colony and whatever various ships were listed on the PADD that Talak'talan handed over in Ops marked the beginning of hostilities.

While I get that the Dominion might view the Federation as "invading" their territory, it wasn't the Feds whose solution was to annihilate the new kids on the block.

19. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did they attack the shipyard before the Dominion attacked DS9? We don't know for sure. Though it's entirely likely that they were waiting, most likely hiding somewhere and surprised the Dominion with such a swift attack that they were not expecting. The war could have started with the destruction of the USS Odyssey. It could have started when the Dominion came through and drove the Klingons out of Cardassian space and wiped out the Maquis. It could have started when Weyoun gave the ultimatum, "Either you remove the mines, or we will take this station from you and remove them ourselves." He knew that Sisko wasn't going to budge on this and Sisko even said that when he said they wouldn't remove the mines, they both knew there'd be war. There are so many events that could be marked as the beginning of the war it's hard to pinpoint. Though I think the Sisko and Weyoun meeting was essentially the Dominion's declaration of war.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

This.

If the Dominion didn't want the colonies there, all they had to do was tell the Federation to get out. The fact that the Dominion *attacked* proved that they were in the wrong. Just like the Gorn at Cestus III.