The fantastic Lt. Uhura...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've always liked Uhura. When I was younger I didn't pay as much attention to her, but over the years I've come to feel she was an under utilized asset. Nichelle Nichols always made the most of what she had. She had range and could fit into any situation. It's just a pity they didn't employ her to a fuller potential. I loved the way she was treated by James Blish in some of his episode adaptations as well as in his novel Spock Must Die. I just wish she had been given those sort of things to do in TOS. Also seeing her given some of the things given Hoshi from ENT would have been right up Uhura's alley.

And it wouldn't have taken much more either. A line here and there and occasionally some more focus. She got a little more respect in TAS in "The Lorelei Signal," but she really was eclipsed throughout the films.

I loved watching her in "Mirror, Mirror." She is right in there mixing it up with the rest of them. Despite giving a sense of being afraid (quite understandably given the situation) she perseveres and gets the job down anyway. I loved when she messed with Mirror Sulu and took out Mirror Marlena.

Her presence and contribution to Star Trek, science fiction and television might be dimmed by the passage of years, but she was a standout character at the time. It left us wanting more.

[​IMG]

Let's celebrate Uhura.

Anyone else with their favourite Uhura moment and/or thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Probably her most memorable moment is when she diverts Sulu's attention during "Mirror, Mirror".

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The "Sorry, neither" line and pulling a dagger on Mirror Sulu both spring to mind.

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was amazing in The Man Trap and her singing of "Beyond Antares" in Conscience of the King is extremely beautiful. She was also a high point in The Trouble With Tribbles. Her snapping at Kirk's impatience in The Naked Time, followed by her little smile after Kirk apologizes was sublime. I always liked the character. Her beauty and voice were well matched by her acting ability. It's a shame she was so under utilized.

5. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Her distraction would not have worked on non-mirror Sulu.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why is that?

7. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

Due to the yawn-inducing predilection of simple-minded people to make constant reference to George Takei's sexuality?

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Especially when nuUhura seems to have worked wonders for nuSpock...

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Love that!

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Both great moments . . . from "The Naked Time" and "Mirror, Mirror," respectively.

I was rewatching the entire series recently and was struck by how much Nichols does with (often) so very little. She somehow manages to give Uhura plenty of personality even when, sadly, she's given little to do. Check out also some of banter with Scotty in "Metamorphosis," as when Scott is vowing to keep looking for their missing captain no matter how long it takes.

"Space is a big place," she reminds him wryly, giving the line plenty of life.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Is that where she says "It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott," putting her own version of a Scottish accent into it?

12. Greg Cox

That's probably what I'm thinking of. It's a throwaway line, but she gets a lot out of it.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

^ I got seasons 1 and 2 last month, so some of the dialogue is still fresh for me.

I also liked that she got a lot to do in "Gamesters of Triskelion", but wish they would have put her in more combat scenes. And she needed one of those shiny suits like Shahna was wearing.

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Another good Uhura moment is in "Who Mourns for Adonis?", when, wearing workman's coveralls, she's shown working underneath the bridge communications console to rig a doubletalk-bypass circuit. We see that she's a skilled technician, not just a glorified switchboard operator.

15. Greg Cox

That's a great scene, too, especially since it also involves Spock telling her that he has absolute faith in her abilities. One of the best Spock/Uhura scenes . . . prior to the new movies, of course! :)

16. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I've always loved that scene in The Naked Time where she snaps at Kirk.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes! excellent scene! :techman:

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Angry Fanboy

Not true either. Just watched Uhura take over navigation in Balance of Terror. She focuses on her job while Sulu makes goo goo eyes at her.

19. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it is not from TOS, but ANY of her lines from ST 3 in the Transporter room! but I like this one, when she is talking to Mr. Adventure, the Lieutenant on duty:

This is fantasy. You wanted adventure, how's this? The old adrenaline going, huh? Good boy. Now get in the closet.

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Angry Fanboy

...well said, Fanboy...well said...