Generations Concept Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CelticViking, May 31, 2013.

1. CelticViking

CelticViking Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So I saw this image today;

[​IMG]

Is there any better images of these uniforms than on action figures?

Thanks in advance!

2. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Those look like repainted/custom DST/AA figures that were released a few years ago. The line that playmates put out were the ones that had the concept uniforms on.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I believe there was one photo of one of the uniforms in one of the various Trek coffee table books put out by Pocket in the late '90s. I can't remember which one. It was a sciences division uniform and had a caption explaining how the uniforms were scrapped at the last minute.

trekkier is definitely right that those are custom repaints; the actual Generations figure line was also noteworthy for the horrendous lack of articulation (only hips, shoulders, waist and neck; not even knees and elbows) compared to either the TNG line that preceded it, or subsequent Playmates lines that would follow for VOY and First Contact.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Here's a pic of the unaltered figures
    [​IMG]

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. CelticViking

7. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here's one of the actual prototypes:

[​IMG]

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

These concept uniforms must've been junked fairly late in production, judging from the jumble of TNG and DS9 'forms we got in the final film...

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was pretty early on. They shot a couple of scenes with Geordi on the Duras sisters' ship wearing one before deciding to abandon them (maybe after seeing the first dailies).

Most of the TNG era scenes feature DS9 uniforms on the background extras long before the regulars start wearing them, so the decision to use a mixture of both was clearly made pretty early on.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

They kinda have a TOS meet TNG feeling to it.

12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

It's the sleeve stripes. I wonder if the flap was meant to be worn open like on the TWOK uniforms?

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There's really no good reason at all why these uniforms couldn't have been used in the film. The whole point of their introduction in the movie was so that they would eventually be used as the Star Trek: Voyager crew uniforms. Instead, they decided not to use them because they felt it would introduce "too much change" for the audience...as if the audience were complete idiots and would not know what was happening in the film because everyone was wearing new uniforms that barely looked much different than the old ones. And yet they changed the commbadge design, and that was just fine...:rolleyes:

Instead, what had been delineated just fine before as space station uniforms now suddenly became starship uniforms, and ill-fitting ones for the Generations actors at that.

Of course, these uniforms were just one of about a million things that were just silly about this film.

14. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I for one agree with their decision. I get what they were going for with the new design, but it seriously didn't work out. They just look kind of stupid. I don't blame them for taking one look at the dailies and nixing them.

The Deep Space Nine uniforms had never been delineated as space station uniforms. In fact, we saw multiple space stations using the regular TNG style.

15. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I don't know whether I like these uniforms or not. They seem a bit too much for everyday, but they might have worked as dress uniforms (if they lost the rank pips and made the collars black).

I'm glad they stuck with the DS9 uniforms for Voyager.

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think these would've worked a lot better as uniforms for TNG than Generations, with some tweaks to the collar.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

18. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am actually pleased that they didn't use these. As for DS9 uniforms being used on Voyager, when it wasn't a space station, I always figured in my own mind that Starfleet had several uniforms from which to choose, and it was captain's choice which uniform they used on a particular ship or station.

19. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. They were absurdly busy.

20. CelticViking

Would your Nagel-Minimalist-Avatar give us insight to your design preferences sir? ;)

I kid and tease, as I am a HUGE Nagel fan myself.

Side note, ever seen this image?