Speculation: Must the villain be Gary Mitchell, or... ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

At one point it was lol

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I'll believe 1 but the rest is kinda more of an assumption and expectations on your part. They said it was more drama heavy and "bigger", whatever that means. Could it be an Undiscovered Country kinda flick? Black Ops in the Federation doing bad things? I can see that happening. It could be a spy flick.

That's assuming Section 31 (or some other order) has anything to do with this.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

They managed to explain Khan's background in Space Seed in about one minute and a half, so why wouldn't it work in a movie?

Every character in every given movie has a certain backstory that is important for the respective movie, I don't see what the problem is here. Even if the villain in XII was a completely new character, he would still have a backstory that needed to be explained.

The Enterprise crew has already been introduced in the last movie, so they have even more time now to introduce whatever character they've chosen to put into the movie.

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I'd say "Khanchell" has a better ring to it.

5. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

AND

Umm... no.

IIRC, what Orci said was that a canonical Trek character... and a fan favorite at that... would appear in the film. He didn't even say for certain that this character would be a villain, though many of the articles that carried Orci's statements certainly interpreted it that way, and/or jumped to all sorts of unsupported conclusions.

Heck, I don't think he even specified that it was a character from TOS itself, but am pretty sure he referred to them simply as an established character that most Star Trek fans would recognize, and could have easily been referring to fans of the whole of the franchise, and not just TOS.

Moreover, he merely stated that the character in question would "appear in the film", and that statement is vague enough to cover a heck of a lot of ground, from an appearance that impacts the story in a significant or pivotal way, to little more than an "Easter Egg" that serves only to establish that this "fan favorite" still exists in the JJ Verse.

Personally, I'm betting on something along the lines of a humorous but insignificant cameo of Whoopie Goldberg in a silly flared hat, lasting only a few seconds, and featuring no more than a line or two of wise but witty dialogue.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

We know there are Klingons. I'm still thinking that Kor, Koloth or Kang will be leading them. But I'm pretty sure Cumberbatch is not playing one. Unless he's a Klingon disguised as a human.

7. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, yeah -- the neck ring was intact before the shirt was ripped at all ;).

However, the the first time we saw the ripped shirt, the neck ring was also ripped.
    Here is the FIRST GLIMPSE we get of the ripped shirt. This is about two or three seconds after the shirt was seen NOT ripped (Kirk had just dived at Mitchell, and before and during the dive the shirt was not ripped):

[​IMG]

But alas, having shown all of this is probably provides no evidence either way as to whether the film includes Gary Mitchell or not. :vulcan:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If only there were some way to determine this.

9. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm a fan, and two of my favorites are Mr. Kyle and Kevin Riley (seriously).
    I'd like to see Kevin Riley in the film -- maybe singing "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

He has to sing it at least as many times as in the original episode or I'll refuse to watch. :lol:

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm be disappointed if they go with Gary Mitchell as the villain. I don't want to see Kirk go up against yet another God like villian. We had more than enough of that in TOS.

At least Khan was more unique being a superhuman and had a more interesting past as a dictator.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And those episodes were nearly fifty years ago and this version of Kirk has went up against zero God-like villains.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

What does a God-like villain need with a starship?

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The movie will be worth the price of admission if Pine speaks that line! :guffaw:

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Who needs starships when you've got transwarp beaming?

17. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I'm going to go ahead and stake my claim in the speculation game: I'm going with a shapeshifter like Garth of Izar. First all the talk of Khan, then the way Urban worded his comment about "Cumberbatch's Gary Mitchell" being "exemplary". I'm thinking JJ is wanting to "cheat" and cram several TOS iconic villains into his movie by using a changeling that will impersonate these other characters and go after Kirk that way.

Just pulling that out of my, er, hat, so I'm not going to wager any money on it or anything.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not to mention the coincidence of Koloth looking just like Trelane!

Wasn't "Talosian" on Orci's list of possibles? Another shapeshifter, through the power o the mind. We still have Pike, and he has a history with Talosians in the other timeline.

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    In all honesty, I'd much rather watch the Tribble Emperor (of Random Capitalisations) than Khan...but I suppose we must take what we get. :p

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmm...Is that why the other thread is titled The Trouble with Trailers? ;)