Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. Klaitu

Klaitu Commodore Commodore

I haven't heard anything, but if they did it, I'd be first in line to buy it.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

They should do new fan collectives first (with overlaps of already released DVD collectives).

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Excellent news!!!

4. jefferiestubes8

RAMA
    There has been no 'news' since August 7, 2007 that
    Falcor5's post
    Just because Mike & Denise Okuda want to see TNG series in HD (like some of us too) doesn't make it news of any announcement. They even say they asked several years ago.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I was commenting on the existence of the original tapes, which up till now, I have not seen a straight answer about!

RAMA

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

What tapes? They were talking about celluloid.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Pardon: "original 35mm film negatives". I apologize for the earlier use of BB shorthand.

RAMA

8. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Get it right RAMA! :p

I would definetly be first in line to pick up all the 24 century treks in HD also. Although I own all the series' on DVD, I find them difficult to watch now that I have a 50" Plasma.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

We are in the high definition era. If they don't want the show to fade into obscurity then they better do an HD version eventually.

I demand it. ;)

10. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

There will be HD versions of all Trek eventually.

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that's fine, the DVDs won't disappear if an HD version could be made, and obviously you won't be required to buy it. However, since it is technically possible to get a lot more out of the show to improve the look on modern high definition televisions, I'd love to see an alternate version.

If it ever is remastered, I doubt I'd be pining for the fuzzy, blurry video look ever again. As long as the original version is always available, I can't understand why anyone would be opposed.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

People expect Blu-Ray discs to contain actual high definition content. You *could* release TNG on BR, but in standard def; hell, an entire season could probably fit on one disc. But if you're not going to upgrade the content, why bother?

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Eh...if you were around for the original run, I guess the argument can be made. But look at the difference between the original and Remastered:

The Naked Time, original. Broadcast September 29, 1966
    [​IMG]

The Naked Time, remastered. Broadcast September 30, 2006
    [​IMG]

And for comparison's sake, here's a shot from early TNG:

Home Soil. Broadcast February 22, 1988
    [​IMG]

14. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

And when TNG aired in the UK, it didn't even look that good thanks to the horrible standards conversions the BBC were provided with.

15. jefferiestubes8

ST:TOS was presented in standard definition video for syndication for 35 years. It looked better on DVD when released in 1998 and in 2004 but
    Paramount knows Trek fans are willing to pay for ST:TOS in HD so they not only did it for the Blu-ray release but for syndication in HD for years to come. Read the reviews of how much people love it looking in HD with the visual effects redone too.

While I think we will definitely see the "Enterprise" series on Blu-ray it will need to have the visual effects re-rendered in HD. They were all done for 16x9 framing at least but still need rerendering. This would happen before TNG gets remastered as entire seasons. I even started a thread on it this month.
    'Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist'
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92792

A few others think ST:Voyager looks fine the way it is on this thread:
    'Remaster the entire Voyager Series...........' I agree. It was mastered to digital videotape and looks pretty good from season 1-season 7 on the DVD. Put it this way it looks way better than the TNG series (picture quality) especially TNG seasons 1 & 2.

TNG was a very popular series and possibly it would get some remastering for HD like fan collectives on Blu-ray but entire seasons are a long shot. TNG on syndication for HD doesn't seem like it would have long life in 20 years from now on an HD tv channel but I may be very wrong.

Zeppster wrote
    I do not think so. Voyager did not have great ratings and Enterprise didn't either but it is not that difficult to redo Enterprise since it is only the visual effects rerendering and reediting from the original film telecine HD tapes.

16. Cyrus

They will eventually do all of them including Voyager (IMO of course)

Enterprise was always in HD so no extra effort or money needed there, the visual effects were rendered at HD from the start. The show was broadcast in HD in the markets that were ready and has been shown in HD on the HDNet channel the last few years (and looking damn good).

17. jefferiestubes8

Star Trek Enterprise master

Wrong.

Millimeter magazine March 2002 issue article titled: "Effective HD Effects"
    Ron Moore Enterprise's visual-effects supervisor tells of the show being mastered in 24p HD format. He hoped the team would be in a position to build a pipeline by next season [season 2] to post a show entirely within a 24p HD pipeline.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_digital_video ]

Season 1 the visual effects were mostly rendered in standard definition and uprezzed to HD.

if you wish to continue a discussion of remastering 'Enterprise' for HD syndication and Blu-ray please go here to this most relevant thread:
    'Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist'
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92792

If you wish to continue discussion of TNG series remastering be my guest.

18. Cyrus

Re: Star Trek Enterprise master

OK

19. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose then you're just as opposed to TOS having been remastered? Because standard def was how it was originally broadcast. By your logic, there should be no STAR TREK: REMASTERED either.

20. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that also reflects changes in how TV schedules worked. In the 1960s and 70s, you had TV shows run, basically, a new episode every week for 26 (or even more) weeks in a row, then go into the rerun (or preemption) cycle. By the 1980s, the rising importance of sweeps months meant there was motivation to put in reruns on weeks nobody was watching (like, between Christmas and New Year's) and save brand-new episodes for February and, particularly, May. It wasn't just Next Generation going into reruns for a month at a time; it was everything.