F1 2014 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Lonemagpie, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I wish they could have poached Ross Brawn, really...

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Looks like Red Bull had a torrid first pre-season test, but this being the first pre-season test it's not an indicator of how the season will go. As for the others as we don't know the fuel loads we can't really say.

As for the new noses, I think the worst of the bunch is the Caterham.

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

So. Who here has seen Rush? Thoughts?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was surprised to find it focus more on Lauda than Hunt because the marketing suggested quite the opposite, but both actors put in sensational performances and the attention to detail, particularly with the cars was phenomenal.

Besides that, it was just very riveting, the race scenes were spectacular and it was just an all round damn likeable, thoughtful and considered movie.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I missed this rule change, a pole trophy is to be introduced in 2014, which is awarded at the end of the season to the driver who had the mostg poles. In case of a tie the same rules apply as those that apply to the Championships, highest number of 2nd places in case of a tie highest number of 3rd places and so on.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/12/15345.html

6. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

^^^ Wish they could get Anhauser-Busch to sponsor a Bud Pole Award for F1, too. It'd be so entertainingly low-brow for that world.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the 2nd pre-season test is almost over. And whilst it is still to early to say things are looking good for the Merc and Ferrari powered teams, not quite so good for the Renault power teams.

But the crucial thing is that the Engine specification deadline is looming in seven days they have to be sumbitted to the FIA. After which they can only be changed for safety, cost-cutting or reliabilty issues.

And it seems as if Bernie want's to go ahead with his crazy plan for the last three races to be double points. I like many fans and others within the sport don't like the idea. But if they must go ahead with it why not go with a Joker system, where by each team can select the race at which they can score double points. But they have to nominate it before quali begins.

So Red Bull might go for Austria
    Mercedes Germany
    McLaren Britain

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the third and final pre-season is test and it's another day of woes for RBR, but the bigger story is it's D-Day for the engines tomorrow the 28th Feb. Will Renault be allowed dispensention to improve the reliability their engines?

I don't think that they should, they like Ferrari and Mercedes knew the date. It appears as if Ferrari and Mercedes got their engines ready, why should Renault get an extension because they failed to meet the deadline? It's not exactly fair to Ferrari or Mecedes.

Don't we actually have to wait until we've had 2 or 3 races before we can get an idea of how realiable the enginges are? If there is one does it affect all teams powered by that supplier if so it's an enginge problem, if not it's related to the individual team. So Renault shouldn't get a dispensenation.

Besides Renault got off light with the whole Crashgate scandel from a few years back they brought the sport in disrupte but got a far less serve sentance than McLaren did for spying. Which is worse deliberalty risking the lifes of drivers, marshalls and spectators to win a race or spying?

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

10. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Red Bull didn't even get a single full lap in today. *insert Nelson 'HA ha' here*

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

My heart bleeds for them .:guffaw:

But this is testing and points aren't award for being good in testing. All that matters is how they stand at the end of the season.

Though in some respects this could be good for Vettel, we know from previous years that Lewis and Alonso can drag a sub-par car up and score higher than were the car is. So if the Red Bull is a bit of a dog it might allow Vettel to shake that he only wins in the best car (yes I know he won a race in a Toro Rosso but that was in the wet and we know how unpredicable wet wather can make a race).

But whilst they might not be my favourtie team (at the moment) it's nice to see Williams looking like they've got a decent car.

In other news Long Beach might return to the GP calander.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112751

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And of course this year marks the 20th Anniversary of San Marino Grand Prix which saw two drivers killed Roland Ratzenburger and Ayrton Senna. Hard to think 20 years have passed.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

14. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Red Bull cheating as usual then.

Obviously Renault are having turbo issues, and while the other Renault teams are getting around it by turning everything down so that they have some headroom to increase the fuel as needed without going over the limit (hence why the Merc cars seem to have so much more power, not needing that headroom), Red Bull are just going over the limit on purpose and blaming the sensor when they get caught.

Maybe the FIA should scrap the fuel flow limit and just limit the fuel load instead. Clearly the flow limit is more about limiting power than enforcing fuel efficiency (that's just a PR thing to please the eco types), but it's not like the teams will be willing to turn the power up to dangerous levels anyway with the limited number of engines they can use, and it will make quali so much more fun (with everyone running at 1000+ bhp, which I imagine these engines are more than capable of doing without issue) and the racing more like the 80s (i.e. they can do whatever they want with the boost but it could mean running out of fuel at the end), which is a good thing.

Still, unless that happens, rules are rules, and Red Bull broke them. Cheaters need to be put in their place.

Have to feel sorry for Ricciardo :(

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Anyone else see this on Red Bull are threatening to leave F1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/26721387

F1 has been around for over 60 years and will continue with or without them.

Shame FOTA is around anymore perhaps they could have used that to help shape how the sport is run.

16. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

What if hamiltion and Mercedes dominate the sport in the next few years the same thing will happen,every few years a driver and his team will dominate the sports.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^True, teams can enjoy a period of dominance, in the early 90's it was Williams, then McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull etc..

But the 2nd race is over and it was virtually a lights to flag to victory for Lewis. And it looks like Ricciardo is inheriting Webbers bad luck. And whilst it might be somewhat unfair that he recieved a 10 second stop/go penalty and a 10 place grid penatly at the next event but unfortunaatly those are the rules.

Though it'll be intersting to seee if Reb Bull can overtunr their disqualification from Australia. Sure Horner can say a directive is not a rule "as we found out last year with Mercedes and teh tyre saga" but my memory might be a little faulty but didn't Mercedes get punished for that?

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

What a fantastic race! All that bitching by Ferrari, pleading with the bosses in to change the rules halfway through the season, all the whining by Red Bull. All the complaints about the new hybrids not being 'real' F1 engines and the rules being too restrictive. That was the best F1 race I have ever seen. Force India who are a garden shed operation, and good old Williams who really deserve some glory, wiped the floor with the big guns. Rosberg and Hamilton forgot everyone else and showed the world what those Mercs can do. The team boss was pleading with them to bring both cars home and they did but it didn't stop them fighting to the death. Bloody marvellous.

19. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, it really was a great race! Hamilton showed his skill in the last few laps - medium compound tyres vs soft, and he did great!

Shame about the Williams' strategy - making 3 stops dropped them a bit further back than their performance deserved.

Also - the DRS zones were perfectly placed. Not too long (easy overtaking) or too short (almost impossible overtaking), but just right for an skillful overtake if you get good traction coming out of the corner. The Goldilocks zone of DRS. Nice.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I have to agree a bit with Big Ron, about some of the negative comments being sour grapes. When Ferrari were on top during the the V10 era were they complaining? When Red Bull where winning during the V8 era were they complaining?

We are only three races into this engine era the simply fact is Mercedes did a better job, just as other teams have done with things like double diffuser, exhaust blown diffuser, active suspesion etc.. the list goes on. Generally when we have a big rule change one team adapts better to them the others have to play catch up.

But I suppose complaining and trying to get the rules changed might be just part of the game, as other teams seek to negate the advantgae another team has because they didn't come up with something another team has.

And it's rather curious that some 96% or so of the fuel senosr problems are related to Renault engines and/or Total Fuel. That would seem to indicate that the problem lies not with the sensor but with the Renault engine and/or fuel.

But in terms of the last race I think Rosberg was only as close as he was due to the SC. Maldonado isn't doing his reputation any good with causing yet another crash.