AMC - American Movie Crap?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OmahaStar, Aug 18, 2008.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

AMC, which used to stand for "American Movie Classics" can no longer be called such.

They're actually showing Star Trek Nemesis on AMC.

I think I need to puke now.

Is this worse than Sci Fi showing Braveheart?

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Nemesis" undeserved reputation aside, AMC has been showing movies like "Predator 2" and "Catwoman" for several years now.

3. msbae

msbae Commodore

Catwoman? What are they smoking over at the AMC offices these days?

Also, Nemesis would have been better if the studio didn't force so many scenes to be cut. 2 examples come to mind instantly...

1.) The scene where Data & Picard discuss family in his quarters would have made Data's death at the end more poignant. There should have been more to the scene with Data's wake too. Hell, why didn't he get the same 'torpedo tube' funeral that Spock got? Data was the Next Gen's equivalent of Spock, right? Give him the funeral he deserves!

2.) That scene where Shinzon once again tries to mind-rape Troi in the turbolift also should have been left in the final cut. It makes him even more monstrous of a villain. It also makes Troi more sympathetic and her revenge against the Viceroy even more cathartic for her and the audience.

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

AMC changed it's focus out of necessity. Sereval factors came into play...Both Fox and Warners raised the prices of the classic films they had under license for many years, so high that they had to go to cable operators and suggest raising the monthly fee cable ops pay the channel to cover the increase. The cable ops didn't jump for joy over paying more to them, so AMC was forced to start running commercials...Selling ads turned out to be harder than they thought, as advertisers weren't keen on buying ad time in older movies. Meanwhile, all those classic films from Warners they had rights to, wound up on competing Turner Movie Classics, and Fox launched their own classic movie channel (which was speculated to have been the motive for jacking up the prices in the first place).
    In the end they had no choice. Survival meant changing their format to running more recent films, in order to attract ad dollars to stay afloat.
    As for running Nemesis, well, it's better than most of the horror junk Sci Fi runs...:rolleyes: ;)

5. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

A movie should be at least 25 years old before it is shown as a classic.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

AMC hasn't been a good station in a long time. I remember back in the days when they didn't show any movies beyond the 60's and never had any commercials (except for a few station related ones between movies).

At least we still have TCM.

7. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A movie must be 150 years old before it is shown as a classic...

Not really.
    Yeah, I wonder why so many movies on both TCM and AMC are considered classics...
    Classics to who? and how?
    Nemesis wasn't that bad, but a classic?
    I can't think of it in those terms...

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I think that's why AMC is so desperate to show original programming for the network, like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I don't care for Breaking Bad, but Mad Men is excellent.

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

AMC used to be good I remember they used to have a pool of decent movies maybe they lost the rights?

10. gunnermac

gunnermac Lieutenant Red Shirt

Maybe the "Classic" parts in the above mentioned movies is their classic crappyness? :)

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

To be fair, AMC ran The Hunt for Red October the other night, and that still holds up stupendously well.

In any event, I believe the "Classic" name was dropped five or six years ago.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The History Channel showed a series about dragons once. That's gotta be the worse.

Or maybe that crap they're showing now about bigfoot and chupacabra.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I watched Alien in the middle of the night on AMC. That's the only time I see good movies.

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

The only thing that slightly irritates me is their censoring. If they want to show Nemesis, then all the power to them. I mean if it really bugged me I just wouldn't watch.

15. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

And Fox Movie Channel!

16. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

Nemesis?! Nemesis allowed is not! Is movie forbidden!

17. romulus

romulus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems to me like people who really like classic movies have large movie collections. If people watched these channels when they showed those movies we wouldn't have a problem. People at AMC got to eat too, so I don't blame them for trying to make a dollar.

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

AMC is a sad sad shell of its former self... they seem to show the same movies every day. I keep it in my favorites largely out of pity.

They deserve Nemesis! :lol:

...thank Iluvatar for TCM! If I had a Nielsen box it'd be #1... :D
    [​IMG]

19. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

AMC has long been a vessel for crap.

Even when they actually play classic films, they fill them with so many commercials and that annoying bar at the bottom of the screen that you can't enjoy the film anyway.

In the U.S. Turner Classic Movies, followed by Fox Movie Channel are the channels of choice for the classic film fan. There are also a few specialty vintage channels that are good - there is a westerns channel, for example that is good if you like westerns.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

AMC has already declared that they no longer stand for "American Movie" anything. Maybe they should just admit that anyone who wants to watch classic movies can see them on DVD and concentrate on making more TV series like Mad Men and Breaking Bad.