Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I did see that on amazons site. I think I'll double check with the chat option when i get home.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recently bought a couple Blu-rays from Germany. The paper insert was double-sided, with the original artwork on the other side without the age ratings. So I flipped the labels and the age ratings are gone. I appreciate that little touch.

3. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are they still just cleaning it without really redoing the FX? No new angles, ships, etc?

4. jimbotron

Of course they are. That's been the MO from the start. Technically however, every FX shot is being redone using the original elements.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yep. It's a remastering, not a re-imagining.

6. jimbotron

Nothing, from my perspective. But from getting a general sense from the board, it's considered one of season 2's worst. :confused: Both it and The Outrageous Okona attempted to be lighthearted fun episodes, but while Okona crashed and burned, Royale succeeded.

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure about other countries, but the German region-free blu-ray discs that I buy have a reversible inside cover that lacks the large age-rating things. Any time you can flip the cover around to get rid of it.

8. jimbotron

I mentioned that a few posts ago. I bought a couple from Germany, and they had the reversible covers.

9. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I dunno about the consensus of this board, but the general negativity I get is that the episode feels too cliche and doesn't do enough with the concept to make it worth it. Plus many find the ending where we don't learn anything unsatisfactory. Apparently the original script by Torme got a lot of the production/cast excited about the episode, but Maurice Hurley did rewrites that upset a lot of people including Torme, which for him was the moment he decided to leave TNG after the season's end. That's why "Manhunt" was such a rehash of his previous scripts, because he no longer cared and was just coasting.

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Watching the first disc today. Forgot how much I love and miss this show. This season in particular is my favourite of all 7 seasons. Pure joy to watch. Also the remastering quality seems better to me than season 5. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

11. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Could be something to do with the extras. Remember those all have to be rated too.

Probably not a huge concern for CBS/Paramount though, I doubt there are many TNG fans out there who are younger than 12.

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'll be the extras being certificated. Even bleeped use of bad language seems to attract attention. I don't know. I always was a lousy lip-reader.

At most I bet the BBFC probably check the runtimes for episodes against their records, factor in 4% variance for 24fps. Maybe rewatch the ones with issues based on their notes. That they might end up cutting scenes is in the back of my mind though. "Sons and Daughters", a DS9 episode involving a Klingon knifing another was edited once. Unless that was a US TV Network decision. Might've been both. The episode cut to begin with, and then cut again by a whole different set of authorities, before VHS/DVD.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sons and Daughters and To The Death are both cut in the UK compared to the US. The former a fair chunk, the latter very little.

14. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

They didn't hide it too well in Sons and Daughters, you can tell something's missing thanks to a noticeable audio jump.

If DS9 ever gets remastered I'll be interesting to see what happens to those two episodes. Considering that the rationale at the time was to avoid exposing teens to imitable violence (really) they would probably let it pass now uncut but of course that would require resubmitting the episodes and we all know how cheap/lazy CBS can be.

Also the To The Death neck snap was always rather odd to remove, as in a later episode (Strange Bedfellows) Worf snaps Weyoun's neck and that bit survived intact.

15. Savage Dragon

Well my order shipped from Amazon yesterday but they didn't apply the new pricing to the order. I'm a little annoyed by that.

16. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

none of my local Best Buy's have nor Target.

what a crock!!

Amazon it is..

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Often they retroactively credit your account with the difference. Mine hasn't shipped yet, but it still shows a price of $74 something. I'll be keeping an eye on it...

18. Savage Dragon

Yeah, that's what happened when I ordered S5 from Amazon. It just seems like they jumped on the price change a little quicker last time.

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd open a chat with Amazon to ensure they refund the difference. The same thing happened with ENT S4 (they lowered the price on release day, but charged me full price) and I never received the difference. They'll happily refund it if you ask though.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's all this talk about sales and if it's worth it to do DS9, but I really wonder what sales does CBS look for with these sets. I get maybe sending out limited supply, but I was looking in the Target ad (online, so I might have missed it) last night and there was no mention of Season 6 or Chain of Command. Then when you go to a store, there is only like 3 or 4 copies. Kind of hard to sell them when you don't have any to begin with.