Graffiti/Street Art

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thestrangequark, Sep 15, 2013.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

As per the wise suggestion of Miss Chicken, I have started this thread as a place to show the weird, wonderful, humorous, or horrible graffiti/street art you've discovered.

To start, here is a little boy riding a turtle on the Williamsburg Bridge. I took this picture about a week ago while I was walking home over the bridge:

[​IMG]

Next, there is this beautiful piece of surrealism which was down the block from my apartment. Sadly, it has since been painted over:
    [​IMG]

And lastly, this weird installment, which I again stumbled upon on my walk home: a papier mache heart inside a jar atop an old chest of drawers on the sidewalk:
    [​IMG]

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I only have a few photos of graffiti which I will post later but I know where there is a lot of street art so I will try to go on a photo shoot within the next few days.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this counts as street art: The recently posted (unfortunately, I can't remember who posted it) shot of the RealNetworks company building, with a crudely made sign pasted over the logo that said BUFFERING. :guffaw:

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Obviously a big Claes Oldenburg fan.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    teacake has some fantastic shots of street art. I'm sure she'll be along soon :)

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hah! I was reading this thinking "Oh, I hope I have some non-blog photos I can post.." when I got to lurok's kind words. I love street art. I will read this thread devotedly :D

Hopefully I have something that isn't *cough* bloggified by me that I can find somewhere. I live in a city which is apparently some huge international mecca of street art. Unfortunately a lot of my old stuff is on another sorta defunct computar atm :)

POST ON PEOPLES!

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Not a lot of street art in this little town -only more or less organized stuff...

...and tags :sigh:

But, last time our down-town pedestrian area was expanded, the new parts were for both cyclists and pedestrians.

The town thought we'd all need a little reminder to look out for each other under such conditions so they had some artists put in some temporary displays to that effect.

Here's one:

[​IMG]
    (painted plywood and plastic ducks)​

Some of the inspiration obviously comes from this famous vintage poster:

[​IMG]

The only other thing I have a (bad) photo from was the physical part of a 'reduce speed'-campaign:

[​IMG]
    Though, as you can see, some graffiti-artist did have a comment to it :p
    (Two more of the stoned Lada)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

And here I was thinking that the quality of street art had fallen off since Turk-182. Bathroom art used to be wittier, but seems to have dried up...

10. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

This is some of my favorite graffiti, on the Brooklyn side of the Williamsburg bridge:

[​IMG]

11. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Cool! This kind of stuff makes me actually wish i lived in a big city. Not much of this around here.

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I used to amazed at how many of those could be found in hard to reach (or would require a lot of climbing on ledges,etc, while I was riding the metro back in DC

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yeah, you'd think that with that level of agility and climbing skill, some of these graffiti artists could find jobs as utility linemen or high ironworkers!

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Spotted this one around town yesterday.

[​IMG]

15. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

A friend showed me a shortcut through a small 'park' the other week:

[​IMG]
    The view as we entered through a short alley.

[​IMG]
    The view to our left.​

[​IMG]
    "Bøller der føler" ~hoodlums who feel.

[​IMG]

I don't know who put this up, but they even left a whiteboard for the less artistically inclined taggers (including an eraser-bunny).

[​IMG]

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So finally did some non blog pics.. these are of Hosier Lane (Melbourne, Australia), an area of several interconnected cobblestone laneways it is legal to paint in. Personally I prefer the illegal backways of Fitzroy and Richmond for street art but this is where I was the other day.

You have pay close attention here, full of nooks and crannies and commentary..

Sweeping view of one wall..

[​IMG]

See that little rectangle where a brick fell out..

[​IMG]

If you peer inside you find..

[​IMG]

Here's another wall with many messages waaaay up high..

[​IMG]

And a close up of one of them..

[​IMG]

Movida Next Door opens onto the alley.. and the temptation of tapas and drinks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The graffiti goes up very high and also paints the ground white..

[​IMG]

And here's your bonus pic of the city center with Flinder's Street, our major train station in the center (the domed building). The graffiti pics are a 2 minute walk from this off the street going to the right.

[​IMG]