Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I really want to see the new proton pack and Ghostbusting gear.

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New gear or not, I hope they keep the same sound effects. Yeah, I know they sound dated, but Star Wars reusing theirs and JJTrek remaking/updating theirs really, REALLY added to my enjoyment. The proton stream was the weapon of choice in kindergarten, dammit!

3. Awesome Possum

The proton pack was the best toy I ever got. If any good comes out of this movie, at least the proton packs will be cool and kids will love it. They're just the best movie prop ever. It's a laser gun with a backpack that catches ghosts.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

my cousin had one. We walked around his house in queens at night hunting ghosts

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want them to keep the distinctive siren!

Edit: And just because I was curious, today I learned that it was made from a leopard snarl! :wtf:
    From an interview with Richard Beggs, about 2/3rds of the way down:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They're going with iPhone apps.

7. Cyke101

I actually have a neutrona wand app on my phone. My brother has that app AND a ghost trap app.

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's one of my biggest concerns. I really hope they don't change the look of the proton packs. That's one design that really doesn't need "updating."

9. Turd Ferguson

What I liked about the original was that all four Ghostbusters were pretty much "everyman" people. Sure, they all had their own personality traits (Spengler was a nerd, Venkman was the voice that rode on everyone else's success without putting in too much effort, Stantz was the heart and Zeddemore was the voice of reason). But, they were all relatable.

These pics all I can tell are we have a stereotypical nerd and a stereotypical slob (complete with untucked in shirt). Not sure what Kristen Wiig's character trait is yet. But, the point is, we found out these traits about Spengler, Venkman, Stantz and Zeddemore by their dialogue and interactions with others. Not by the way they look or are dressed.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They won't be able to do comedy gold like this... :(

"Do....Re....EGON...."

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm not sure why anyone would want them to, considering the primary complaint people have about remakes is that they just cover the same ground all over again.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Though McKinnon definitely is hitting the eccentric look I'm not sure that McCarthy is supposed to be a slob there, frumpy maybe. Not too far from a real life outfit here: http://www.people.com/article/melissa-mccarthy-reveals-slimmer-figure.

13. Cyke101

Working in academia, I can tell you that there are plenty of people (faculty and admin!) who dress like Wiig's character. No, I can't explain it, but they're there.

(Oddly enough, Wiig's get up to me evokes the early-mid 80s, which is when the original came out. But fashion is cyclical.)

But McCarthy doesn't look particularly slobby to me here; it looks just something casual and normal to me, nothing that stands out up or down.

I slightly disagree about Spengler, though. He was always the most formally dressed of the group, but that's because he took his work the most seriously, no matter what that work would be. I do like Ray's working-class demeanor, in jeans and sometimes with a beer in hand, but that could be anyone really. Sleeves up, cig in mouth, a little grease here and there, etc. Nothing exaggerated.

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm..no pictures of Leslie Jones. I am predicting she's going to be rude, loud and seemingly angry. (Basically, same as all her SNL characters)

Oh, and she'll be an add-on later after the white people have some establishing scenes.

Chris Hemsworth's character will have absolutely awful administrative skills, but will be so charming & nice that everyone except perhaps Leslie Jones' character will dreamily ignore the problem.

His skills might be so bad as to cause a government antagonist to appear & be a problem (according to the plot).

15. Cyke101

On the other hand, I do love how she hits on Colin Jost whenever she gets the chance, and Hemsworth >>>>> Jost.

16. Awesome Possum

The costumes have been revealed.
    [​IMG]

I really like it. It's slightly different, but still looks like something they brought off a rack and slapped on a patch.

I'm also extremely happy they are keeping the old logo. I don't think it's possible to ever recreate it.

17. Turd Ferguson

I'm also happy they're keeping the old logo and actually like these uniforms. Now, hopefully, the proton packs won't be altered much :)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those are pretty nice. They are different, but still similar enough to be recognizable.

19. Awesome Possum

If they are keeping the uniforms fairly close, they might be pretty similar. The originals are mainly tubing, valves and odd bits of scientific equipment junk. Basically like Egon and Ray put it together using any thing they could find.

As long as they keep that quality, I'm fine with it. The proton pack should never look clean. The uniforms at least look like they got them from an Army surplus store. So I'm hoping they keep it going in that direction.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Uniforms are nice. I hope the proton packs aren't altered too much and keep that Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator look.