The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose.

Why wouldn't Rick et al move into Woodbury instead of back to the prison? It sure has more amenities and is much nicer/cleaner place to stay.

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's Carl's after-the-fact attempt at a rationalization for what he did so that he could justify it to himself.

If the kid had dropped his weapon and followed orders, I doubt Carl would have shot him. It was all about the threatening actions the kid was making while "surrendering" that caused him to pull the trigger, and it was the right choice giving the situation.

Carl's not acting like a psychopath at all. Hardened, yes. A realist, yes. But not psychotic at all, not given the situation he's in. What Rick did with the hitchhiker is far worse than anything Carl's done so far.

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They have a very human enemy out there, and from what I can tell the prison can be defended better. Rick and his people have penetrated the defenses of Woodbury twice already. The Governor brought a large force to the prison and was routed.

If it was just walkers they had to deal with, Woodbury would be the place. But with human enemies as well.. I would stick with the prison.

4. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

-Woodbury attack repelled without casualties
    -Governors army wiped out without having to shoot at them yourself
    -Woodburians joining Team Rick
    -Carl becoming even more of a hardass
    -Andrea dead

Best day ever!

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About Carl's "shoot"... Fairly cold blooded but the kid was told to "drop" the shotgun and he did not. Carl's defense argument held up pretty well, I thought. Not for our world, but for theirs.

If the Governor is really that stupid, his community was on borrowed time. He sends his whole force into the confined and unfamiliar tombs and leaves no rear guard? Sitting around drinking tea in Woodbury and bullying prisoners didn't do much to hone his tactical skills, I guess.

Andrea was wishy-washy and discounted the potential threats she saw. Carl was decisive and un-reflective. The "civilized" town people were out-fought by the smaller "savage" band. It sure seems like the nomadic hunter culture is where it's at in the new world. It will be interesting to see how Rick's new-found democratic tendencies work in their situation.

What happened to the .50 caliber? That is a game-changing weapon, securing it should have been a high priority for Rick and co.

A nitpick, small but it really bugged me: The "tink" sound of a cartridge case sound effect at the end of Andrea's last shot, from Rick's Colt. I guess that is just a standard part of some gunshot sound effects and no one gives it another thought?

Justin

6. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree 100%. the way the show ended could have even doubled for a series end, Woodbury moved into the prison and the Governor hit the road defeated, never to be heard from again? It could go either way.

As far as the Carl discussion goes, the writers/director/actors did a fantastic job of making you see both sides of what happened, a great water cooler moment.

I think Carl did the right thing, the kid was acting quirky, like he could have just as easily tried to shoot at them, Have we all forgotten how Randall got into Carl's head, I'll bet Carl didn't.

7. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not how I expected it to go down but a good episode what is annoying me though is how many times are people going to have a chance to kill the Governor those 2 just stood there while he gunned all those people down and they must see now he is unhinged:rolleyes:

8. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I was so hoping one of the 2 left standing would have killed the Governor. But they just climbed into the truck and continued the insanity till next season.

9. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I took the "Tink" sound as the gun hitting the ground as it sounded (on my ba@ss surround sound system) heavier than a shell.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad I'm not the only one here who liked the finale. Judging from other websites, you'd think this was the worst episode in the history of television or something! Lol

Even though it didn't play out exactly like we thought, I was still completely riveted the entire time-- whether by the suspense of the prison attack and what might happen there (made even better by the excellent score), the crazy and unpredictable behavior of the Governor, or the situation with Andrea and Milton.

And yeah, I was slightly annoyed that the Grimes gang were only trying to scare away their attackers (when they surely knew the Governor would simply regroup and come back stronger), and in retrospect it IS a shame we didn't get a big showdown between Rick and the Gov after all the buildup... but what we DID get was so strong that I'm okay with those decisions.

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. It definitely didn't sound heavy or solid enough to put me in mind of a six-inch .357 hitting the floor. I will have to listen again to the on-demand ep.

12. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I was actually more surprised none of the guys waiting outside the room flinched when the shot rang out, since no one knew precisely when it would happen. Maybe they've become so desensitized to the sound of gunfire, the sound just doesn't register anymore on that kind of level.

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was really looking forward to seeing the Governor brutally killed. :(

Next season perhaps.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A highlighter is at least something I could see being left behind when the Apocalypse hits. "Grab all the guns, ammo, medicene, food and highlighters you can find!"

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Re: "CLEAR" SUCKED

Infraction for ignoring the standard instruction of "Comments to PM".

Comments to PM.
    (whoa... deja vu)

16. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK. Well, they also most have manicurists in Woodbury and left over toe nail paint because Andrea's feet were very well 'kept,' for living so long in the woods. ;)

17. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My impressions:

Carl: While his logic is a bit chilling, it has merits. The boy was NOT putting down his gun, but apparently handing it over. Had Carl reached for it, the boy could've either thrust it forward or pulled it (and Carl) back, making Carl lose his balance and aim.

Andrea: She was being naive, but maybe that was good for her, "fight the good fight" and all. After all, she had been a civil rights attorney. But in the world of TWD, she was naive and wrong.

Daryl/Merle: Here I was afraid that he'd shut himself off, but he recognized that Merle had indeed killed all those Woodbury men (because who'd've thought the Governor would kill them) and so redeemed himself. Merle became the man Daryl had hoped, but it cost Merle his life. That's why I think Daryl destroyed Walker Merle so hard--to destroy to monster that Redeemed-Merle had become. And Daryl realized that he could not go it alone.

Rick: He should recognize the validity of Carl's logic, but teach him to temper it. We don't have to see the conversation, but a reference to it--mention the hiker, Michonne, the refugees, etc.

Glen/Maggie: Great team! They didn't do too much here, but they're great together.

Herschel: I think he misread the confusion Carl was in.

Carol/Beth: They BOTH killed walkers! Go Beth! Nice to see that she can step up when needed.

Michonne: Fantastic character and actress.

Tyreese: Please let a brother live on this show! I'm just afraid his character will overlap Herschel's too much.

Tyreese's sister: What is her name? I like how she's practical and willing to stand her ground.

Refugees: So few? That's it? Less than a dozen? There were 72 people there, I thought more were non-fighters than that. I guess the Governor had pulled EVERYONE with him. And, yes, I would've stripped Woodbury of all resources, or secured them.

Woodbury Army: Oh, man! What a massacre! Literally! I thought there were a lot more going into the prison. And still the numbers don't add up. 72 people. Five (I had thought six) dead in Rick's raid; another 8 by Merle; plus Tyreese and his sister, leaving 61. Maybe a dozen refugees at most, and the Governor, Martinez, and the other guy, leaving 46. But the Governor didn't kill 46. I'm a bit confused on the count. Oh, glad Allan (Ben's father) bit it; he should have fired.

Martinez/Other guy: Why they didn't kill the Governor on the spot, I assume was due to shock. Now they've tied themselves to a crazy man. Guilt alone will compel them to follow him.

Governor: He is crazy! He bit off Merle's fingers--though he didn't eat them, he has become a living walker. I think he's going to take potshots at the prison next season.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else think that Mazzara was fired/left as showrunner because he wanted to end the governor/prison arc at the end of this season and the producers didn't? It sure seemed like things were set up to the point where the storyline should have concluded and now we have another season of him/it.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I do wonder what I'd think if I hadn't read the comics, as I really can't help but compare it when I watch it.
    But as it, colour me majorly unimpressed with Season 3.5

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That'd be a good bet. Continuing the Governor arc is a mistake considering that the character is barely a character; he's always been a messily written villain and I really don't think we need him sticking around any longer.