DS9's 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by toughlittleship, Jan 4, 2013.

1. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anybody reading any DS9 novels for the 20th Anniversary? I've been rereading David Mack's Warpath; I particularly love Vaughn's pursuit of Taran'atar and his fight with him.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, a new DS9 novel by David R. George III is the first chapter in the 5-book 24th century mini-series The Fall, starting midyear. I'll be reading that.

As for today especially, nope.

3. scotcat

scotcat Ensign Red Shirt

I've been rereading Section 31: Abyss.

4. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I plan on starting the first Worlds of Deep Space book tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to it, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Una McCormack and I loved Heather Jarman’s Mission Gamma book. After that I plan on working my way through the rest of DS9 books, hopefully I’ll be caught up in time for The Fall later this year.

5. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I plan to watch all of DS9 this year and then start reading the DS9 relaunch

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started doing a DS9 rewatch for the first time in over a decade a couple months ago on Netflix, and Sunday I'm going to do my own DS9 marathon. I also plan on reading Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn sometime in the next couple months.

7. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started watching the series again from the start.

8. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

I'll be working my way to Plagues of Night/Seize the Dawn (DRGIII is my favorite Trek author)

Too bad they couldn't have put some more DS9 books out for the anniversary, like Marco did with Prophecy and Change.

Just compare how Pocket celebrated DS9's 10th with:
    1. Prophecy and Change anthology
    2. Left Hand of Destiny duology
    3. Rising Son
    4. Unity hardcover
    5. Reissue of Lives of Dax anthology

Now, even for the 20th anniversary, we can't even get a book out with a DS9 logo. I'm not much of a complainer, but man, it sucks for those of us who enjoy DS9, my favorite popular franchise. But at least we're getting two DS9 books part of the Fall, by the two best Trek authors.

It's been said before, but Marco was the MAN. You don't know how good you have it 'till it's gone.

9. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

And you can argue that there is a third, given Garak's role in another, by another excellent author. Hopefully he makes the cover too.

10. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I’m surprised that pocket didn't use the 20th anniversary as an excuse to relaunch the DS9 brand. I know the characters and locations have appeared in other books and will appear again this year as part of The Fall but 2009 was the last time a book was released that said DS9 on the cover. With this years schedule announced that means 2014 is the earliest we can expect to see a DS9 branded book, a 5 year gap between books. The 20th anniversary could have helped pocket attract some reader interest.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone said officially whether or not The Fall books will feature the series logos on them somewhere?

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I really don't mind if the TNG/DS9 logo's are retired and its all viewed as part of one continuity.

I think the TNG and DS9 names are marketable however, so economics will probably dictate their return.

A propper full scale crossover would be nice though...

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree completely. One of the things I've enjoyed most about the novelverse, is the fact that the series have all kind of merged together into a bigger whole than they ever were when the series were on TV.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't see any reason to retire them. It's fine to leave them out for books that aren't specific to any one series, but a lot of the 24th-century books still are very much linked to a single specific series. Cold Equations, for example, was unambiguously a TNG trilogy, not a generic Trek trilogy.

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was about to say "no, but they probably won't, since Typhon Pact didn't". Then I remembered that this is actually supposed to have an overarching narrative, where the Typhon Pact books (or at least the first four) were just supposed to be the next book of their constituent series.

So now I suspect that yes, they'll have individual series logos, because Pocket's Marketing department seems to do whatever I think they shouldn't. :p

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're out to get you, Andrew!

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just checked on S&S and it does have Revelations and Dust down as just Star Trek: The Fall. So it looks like it will probably just be "The Fall" with no series specific logos.

18. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

On the literary treks audio thing, Una said that her Fall book was Picard and Garak on Cardassia. Sounds exciting

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should call it Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Typhon Pact: The Fall: Revelations and Dust. Rolls right off the tongue.

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like a big seller to me!