Never seen TOS scenes, but would've been nice...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Re: Never seen TOS scenes, but would've been nice.

Here's an imagined live-action version of a TAS scene from "The Slaver Weapon." The shuttlecraft Copernicus has landed on a desolate icy planetoid wherein Spock, Uhura and Sulu are searching for a detected Slaver box. Note: I tried to give the crew field jackets and Uhura slacks as well as life support belts. It isn't as clean a shot as I'd like, but overall I kinda like it.

[​IMG]

2. Intelligence

Intelligence Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that "Slaver Weapon" picture is fantastic! only gripe is that the Copernicus was no F-Type Shuttle... but one doesn't need to worry

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

My stand on this is that the animators took liberties with the shuttlecraft designs in TAS and the fact that there was no reason they couldn't have depicted the familiar Class F vehicles. Also those shuttles as depicted could never have fit inside the ship's hangar deck. The only wrinkle is the aquashuttle which I reason could have been a specialized piece of equipment on loan from a starbase and not part of the standard shuttlecraft complement.

I'm hoping to take a crack at depicting a live-action version of a similar scene from TAS' "Mudd's Passion."

4. LavianoTS386

LavianoTS386 Admiral Admiral

I never liked any of the "galaxies" beyond TGB notion. There should only be a few faint speckles of light, but really nothing more.

5. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. Given the vast distances between galaxies, we really shouldn't be able to see them any better at the edge of the Milky way than we can here, about half-way to the center of it. It's the same as standing on a roof, looking at a building on the other side of the city. If you go to the other edge of your roof, the far-off building still looks pretty much the same.

6. Lanzman

Lanzman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not quite the same. Here inside the galaxy, we're looking out thru a lot of dust and stuff, especially along the plane of the ecliptic. Once out past the "edge", that matter would be behind us and the view would be a bit more sharp.

Anybody else reflecting on the fact that guys who are more or less amateur hobbyists are doing better effects shots on their desktop computers now than were being done by the production company when TOS was being made?

7. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sharper, yes, but they'd still be teeny tiny and visually indistinguishable from stars w/o magnification.

(possible exception- In low enough light, is it the Magellan cloud that can be seen with the naked eye?)

8. Lanzman

Lanzman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think so. I remember seeing some stuff in the sky on Guam and Diego Garcia . . .

Meh. Long ago and far away.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That's hardly a fair comparison, although flattering. You can imagine what they could have done if they'd had modern PCs at hand back in their day.

10. PointyHairedJedi

PointyHairedJedi Vice Admiral Admiral

Any more live-action TAS scenes planned?

I think these are great by the way.

11. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

Impressive and wow! :eek: I like these scenes as if they had today's technology to do them. I am looking forward to more of your very impressive artwork. DO you have a website to post these or are these just for members here? Either way, I look forward to seeing more. :D

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A lot of this is trial-and error to get the look just right. Some of the ones I do I like very much and others are just okay. Sometimes the ones I least expect to work look great while some I have the most hope for don't quite come off.

Yes, I do plan on trying to envision more live-action TAS scenes, including from "Beyond The Farthest Star," "Yesteryear," "The Slaver Weapon," "Pirates Of Orion," "Mudd's Passion" and "One Of Our Planets Is Missing."

13. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, heres my offering...

[​IMG]

I did this in a few minutes and it doesnt look that bad.
    Although, the top right corner of the window, the angle needs to be sorted becuase it gives a curved look to the window.

Its weird, becuase as you do this, the ship seems a whole lot bigger than the window less bulkhead.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Cool! I'm also working on something similar that suggests two of the three back angled walls could have been oversized windows at the rim of the saucer hull. I'd also like to put up pics of the two U.S. carriers named Enterprise as well as the ringship. Note: there will ABSOLUTELY NOT be any pic of the N0XiOus-1 in any of my scenes.

:lol:

15. reno floyd

reno floyd Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love something like this to be done in a special edition ep.

:cool:

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A friend of mine just gave me an idea I'm seriously considering. I may try to gather together and create a few more of my best efforts and put a wall calendar together for the TorontoTrek Con this July. I think it could be cool and rather unique.

While I like to try and show aspects of TOS we never saw for one reason or another I do try to make them look as seamless as possible and credible. I particularly like envisioning things like TAS as if they'd been live-action--for me it just strengthens the argument that much if not most or all of TAS should be accepted as authentic.

17. reno floyd

I hope classic Fan doesn';t mind, I played with adding noise, blurring and the reflection of the back of McCoy's head to blend it in more with the origical. And I think cropping eps, or zooming out and adding the sides would be good for spec.ed. eps too.

[​IMG]

18. reno floyd

You should do it! :)

I want TAS to be redone with Final Fantasy quality CGI BTW, but that's just me.

19. Classic Fan

Now im the opposite. I'd hate to see this done to TOS.

Yet the odd thing is, i can look at pictures like the ones above and love them, yet i would hate it if someone went and changed a whole load of stuff.

But i love changing pictures to what i wouldve liked to see. :confused:

20. Classic Fan

No, i dont mind.

I tried the reflection and distortions but couldnt get it to look right, but youve done it justice.

And, the NX-01 will make no appearence in my artwork. All my art work wether it be 3d ships or picture manipulation is all TOS. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.