The Voice 4

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by intrinsical, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually didn't think Midas Whale was all that great in the knockout round.

When it comes to Adam, he's been known to take the lesser performances in the battle and knockout rounds if he thinks they have better overall talent that he can help out. Last season he was pretty vocal a couple times for Blake to take the singer who had the lesser performance because of what he saw in them.

Also, Orlando Dixon was an instant goner going up against Judith Hill, but the background singers drowning him out toward the end of his song is a problem that has plagued The Voice for the past couple seasons.

I think last season had far better talent than this season.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think it was Midas Whale's best performance either, but I thought Amber did even worse.

I agree about the background singers, they are really noticeable sometimes and it can take away significantly from the performance.

I'm about halfway through tonight's episode. I think Usher's team is my least favorite. Really, there's not anyone I'm excited about going into the live rounds. I don't feel a connection to anyone. I guess I'll root for Garrett since he's the underdog and he seems like a nice guy.

3. Aragorn

Sometimes it takes the live rounds for someone to pop. Dia Frampton was pretty middle-of-the-pack until her live performance. Cassadee Pope didn't explode until she sang "Over You." Not everyone can be Terry McDermott and win the knockout round after singing just one verse.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Honestly, there were a lot of knockout round decisions I disagreed with, but no 'Travesties'. Nobody in the live shows who really doesn't deserve to be there like Mouseketeer boy.

5. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

6. Spot's Meow

She has a very beautiful voice. At times I noticed a quality to her voice that I think would actually make her a great country singer. I think she sounds better than Amy.

I think what this show has proven to me more than anything else is not how much talent exists out there, I was already aware of that, but how important song writing is. A hit song that is catchy, fun, or creates an emotional connection is necessary for any quality singer to really showcase their talents. I also think it's why the past winners haven't been successful yet. Also, your song being featured in a commercial usually helps (I'm thinking of the Fun. song in that Superbowl commercial).

7. Aragorn

The knockout round, which has only been around for two seasons, has shown how much choosing the wrong song to sing can hurt the artist.

Unless that artist is with Adam, who has been known to take the lesser performance because he thinks the singer is better overall. He even wanted Blake to take Luke because Luke was more talented even though he blew the knockout round by singing Katy Perry.

I have to wonder how Blake taking all country to the live rounds will affect whether or not singers pick him next season, even though the first three seasons Blake dropped all his country singers left and right.

8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

God Christina Milan, shut up! I hope you fall out of the skybox!

9. JirinPanthosa

Is it me or has every performance so far been really underwhelming, then all the coaches said it was the greatest performance of all time?

10. JirinPanthosa

And WTF? The first performance of the night I could get into the coaches shit all over. Is it opposite day or something? Amber screeches and strains for notes "It's like my heart was effing Jesus", Cathia sings a Whitney Houston song and doesn't oversing it to Whitney's absurd extents, "It was okay I guess."

Edit: And the only two performances of the night to actually draw me in are the last two. If Michelle Chamuel and Judith Hill don't dominate these two votes I will sincerely question the voters' sanity.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  11. Aragorn

The responses after Cathia's performance were rather awkward, even from her own coach. It was like there were three Christina Aguileras giving their thoughts.

She didn't knock it out of the park, but she wasn't bad either. Except for season 1, everyone's who has made the live shows have shown they deserve to be there. But I have to say that as a whole, this season's live contestants are nowhere as good as last season's.

12. Spot's Meow

Yeah, it was a strange night. Michelle Chamuel ended up being my favorite, and Judith Hill is just an amazing singer/perfomer. It's obvious why she was chosen to share the stage with Michael Jackson (which we need to mention every 5 minutes apparently).

I also thought that the other performances were rather boring, but Cathia's did stand out to me as being very good. And then, as you said, the judges were pretty harsh about it. Usher is quickly becoming the new Christina, by which I mean the new "villain" coach. He is really hard on his team, and all the performers really. He is so rarely satisfied. Which is the total opposite of Shakira, who seems to love everyone and everything (except Cathia's performance :lol:).

13. intrinsical

Is it a new mic they're using? I notice everyone's voices sounded a little different in weird way, a little hoarser and breaths are throatier and more audible.. way easier to hear when they go off pitch.

14. JirinPanthosa

So, I missed the show, then I watched the performances on nbc.com so I didn't see the coach's reaction.

For me the standout performances of the night were, by far, Sasha Allen and Garrett Gardner.

So then I look at the ITunes singles charts, and the one I thought was the worst of the night, Danielle Bradbery, is easily the highest selling.

At least Sasha Allen is second, the only good performance from Blake's team (Swon brothers) are third, and Garrett is fourth.

If I have to hear these coaches say Whitney Houston is 'Sacred ground' again. Yeah, she had incredible technical talent, but incredibly hammy performing style.

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking it was just the quality of my signal compressing the audio down, but it definitely sounds odd to me. A little shallow and dull.

16. intrinsical

My prediction for top 3 in the finals are:

Michelle Chamuel
    Karina Iglesias
    Judith Hill (I think her connection to MJ will bite her in the end, people will skip voting for her either because they think she's safe from elimination or that she didn't have to work hard and hence shouldn't win)

Strangely, none of the guys impress me this time round.

17. Spot's Meow

Carson did say on Monday night that this year's live performances will be "stripped down" to give us a more "authentic" performance or something like that, so maybe that is what we are hearing.

18. Aragorn

So apparently the online voting method went down last night and never came back. I wonder how much that will skew the outcome for Tuesday's performers. The other voting methods were intact, but website clicking would seem like it'd be the source of the most votes.

19. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think she's anything special to begin with. I think her whole MJ connection wins her some votes. She doesn't emote, the music is a job to her, she has no emotional connection to it.

20. Aragorn

I think Judith is too good to win The Voice, if that makes sense. Her talent will get her far in the voting, but eventually the voters will turn on her.

A bit surprised it was Sarah Simmons who had to get saved tonight, which means she won't be making it to the end.