NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't take a Seahawks win today on top of last night. So I'm glad they lost. Sorry.

There is a borderline incestuous relationship between the teams, with coaches, players, and front office personnel shuffling between the two for the past 15 years or so.

I would say up until that game for the most part most Packers fans liked the Seahawks. I'm not saying it can't be like that again, but for at least the fans that I know personally... we all hate Pete Carroll and his antics, and we thought Golden Tate handled the incident like a punk. I don't think I'm cheering for the Seahawks until those two are gone.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Really? Because from the replay I watched, Carroll never made the "T" signal (which I thought was crucial to calling a time out), and looks like he even tells the ref that "I'm not going to call a time out". I was confused by the whole interaction.

3. Yoda

In these situations what I usually see them do is tell the official on his sideline ahead of time that they're going to call timeout, so that he's ready for it. Then stand right next to him and say "timeout" before the snap. "T" signal? The ref isn't looking at him, he's looking at the players pre-snap, and I'm guessing they wouldn't appreciate coaches running onto the field and/or shoving hands into their line of sight right at the snap.

Also, there's no reason for him to tell the ref "I'm not going to call timeout". That's just stupid.

4. tighr

Irrelevant. If the coach is "shoving his hands in the referees face" prior to the snap, then there is no play and time out is called.

5. Yoda

Keep in mind that they're trying to call it when the snap is imminent for a psychological advantage and it is not exactly unheard of for them to get the snap off before the coach calls for timeout in that situation.

6. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the important part. I very much doubt the camera caught him telling the ref " I'm not going to call timeout". It didn't take an expert lip reader to see him clearly mouth the word "timeout".

7. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

meh.....Texans lost as expected. Oh well. At least I have my nice 2012 AFCS Championship baseball cap. :lol:

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, if the NFL couldn't get the Brady/Peyton matchup they no doubt wanted, I'm sure they'll be happy enough with a Patriots/Ravens rematch. :D

9. Sheep

I wonder if NFL and TV officials will have heart attacks if we get a Ravens/Falcons Superbowl...

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

It can't be 6:30 next Sunday soon enough.

Great game Vereen. You sure don't look like you're hurt Ninkovich.

I Gronk'd a newspaper at some point during the first half before hearing he re-broke his arm.

Heal up Woodhead and Jones.

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I think the Patriots can take everyone left.

That Seattle game was awesome. What a finish.

I wonder about the Atlanta/SF game. You know they're going to gameplan the shit out of Kaepernick. SF on the road.. I'm hoping this will be a good game. SF can certainly win this one.

12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I took a nap at 21-0 or whatever it was. Fuck.

Time to start focusing on Baltimore. The game in 2010 where it was 14-0 before I even got home with the pizza, the near end to the perfect season in 07, the Cundiff, and the crotch guzzling 4th quarter pukefest earlier this season do not have me feeling too great about this.

What happened to the fizzling out Ravens in December and who is this team that came back against Denver yesterday?

Nice job setting up an AFC title game in Foxborough, now please go back to playing like shit next week.

13. tighr

I guess my hopes and dreams now rest on the shoulders of Baltimore. And if they don't get the job done, San Francisco.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I wouldn't put much hope on the shoulders of Baltimore; Brady's going to destroy that secondary.

Word is that the Bears have identified Marc Trestman and Darrell Bevell as the finalists for their coaching job; both will have second-round interviews this week. I don't know much about Bevell, but Trestman would be an ... interesting choice. He's been out of the NFL since 2004, and when he was in the league, he bounced around like crazy, which suggests there may be some personality issues (and he finally decided the NFL was too much and went to Canada to get paid peanuts compared to NFL salaries). He has guided Montreal to a lot of successful runs, but because it's the CFL, it's hard to tell if he's a legitimately good head coach or if he's just benefited from a small league and some elite talent.

So, basically, praying for Marv Levy but fearful of getting Rod Rust.

15. Yoda

I don't like Bevell. Just a Favre lackey IMO. Maybe he's grown in the past couple of years.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, Bevell kind of bothers me due to the Green Bay / Minnesota connections; I'd think there's a non-zero chance he retains Mike Tice as the offensive coordinator, which terrifies me, and if he brought Childress onto the staff (you never know), I'd probably have a coronary.

Trestman just kind of bothers me on a fundamental level. I really don't like the idea of a hire that says, "well, our offense has been inconsistent, so we're going to hire an offensive-minded coach who hasn't worked in the NFL in nine years." Gameplanning in the CFL is very different from the NFL, given the immense talent disparity.

Supposedly Bruce Arians is in the mix and canceled a second-round interview with the Eagles, so that's an interesting factor, too. In any event, it sounds like now that he's been told he's no longer part of the mix, Dave Toub is a lock to rejoin Andy Reid in Kansas City, which fucking sucks.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Who was the Bears' special teams coach in the mid-90's? The one who had a trick play going about every 5 minutes.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Mike Martz is still around...

:p

*ducks*

19. Sheep

Good going...you just made Timby spontaneously combust.

20. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Trestman has benefited from having one of the best and consistent CFL quarterbacks in Anthony Calvillo. There have been five other head coaches in Calvillo's time and they have always been near the top, so I think Trestman has benefited for having him at the helm then any kind of great coaching techniques.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.