So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Best Comics thread inspired me to pop in the comics DVD and I read Maggie's World, issue #31 in DC's first TOS ongoing series.

2. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Dead Heat by Joel C. Rosenberg.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Silver Screen Fiend" by Patton Oswalt.

4. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished A Raging Storm by "Richard Castle".

I'm currently reading Star Trek: New Frontier: The Returned, Part 2 by Peter David.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Star wars Crucible by Troy Denning. I'm now reading a collection of Science Fiction stories written by women from the late 1800s and early 1900s. The stories have been really interesting.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just started The Last Ship by William Brinkley.

7. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks!

I started Titan: Fallen Gods today. I've heard it's not that great but I liked Seize the Fire by the same author so I have high hopes.

9. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Started reading The Twelfth Imam by Joel C. Rosenberg last night/this morning.

10. woodstock

woodstock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Peaceable Kingdoms, waiting for Disavowed to arrive. Started out with the Titan series and found the Destiny trilogy (excellent by the way). Since then I've been reading Titan, DS9 and TNG in a chronological order, though Disavowed may be a bit of a jump ahead of some others. Once I'm caught up with all the currently published novels I think I'll do the Lost Era series.

11. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Star Trek: New Frontier Martyr right now.

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bought Weird Space: The Baba Yaga by Una McCormack and Eric Brown yesterday and plan to read that one next.

13. Reanok

I started reading The Ghost of the grand banks by Arthur C. Clarke.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up the second arc in the Factastic Four: World's Greatest collected edition, The Death of the Invisible Woman. I posted my thoughts in my comic book thread.

15. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Posted my review for #13 in the S.C.E. series, No Surrender by Jeff Mariotte.

Just started reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal for my book club. Pretty fun so far!

16. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have just finished Titan Fallen gods and have decided to forgo reading TNG Indistinguishable from Magic in Favour of reading Typhon Pact Plagues of night.
    I may go back and read Indistinguishable from Magic after i have court up with the current releases.

17. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read that one a decade ago, has some minor flaws, but I liked it. It doesn't really spoil anything, but to be safe I've put my review under spoiler tags.

An entertaining and good read, but a little bit to soft sometimes in my opinion.

It’s an interesting idea to show the life of Jesus from a comical standpoint, especially the parts of it which are not shown in the bible (i.e. between birth and when he starts to show his "powers"). Most of the book is entertaining, but I would have preferred if the whole story would’ve been more satirical. More often than not the author has chosen the easy joke, when a more "critical" (i.e. "jokes" questioning religious believes) comical point would’ve been possible. So I can’t understand some reviews I saw of the book, where the reviewers are speaking of blasphemy. I would say it’s obvious that the author tried to not hurt anyone’s feelings or believes. One sign for the intention by the author to not ridicule Jesus too much is in my opinion, that Jesus most of the time is the sidekick for Biff’s puns and jokes, although Jesus is the contemporary "star". To say it frankly : Whose faith is shaken by this story isn’t really a believer.

Like I said above, most of the book is entertaining, but somehow the last part, dealing with the time where Jesus is crucified, is extremely serious compared to the rest of the book, so that it feels separated from the rest in some way. Of course it’s not a laughing matter on first sight, but the author doesn’t shy away from puns and jokes in the rest of the story, so why there ?

The characterizations are good. Biff can be annoying sometimes, but all in all he’s a likeable character. Concerning Jesus it’s kind of a shame that this "Gospel" isn’t part of the bible, it would give Jesus Christ a lot more personality if it would be shown that he had his faults and weaknesses.
    All in all a book I would recommend, if your searching for a book with a lot of humor in it. It’s not really criticizing Christianity, it’s just showing the "Messiah’s" life from a different stand point.

18. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, I'm doing the same thing. I'm currently reading Titan: Taking Wing and enjoying it so far.

19. Reanok

I'm reading The book of Air and Shadows by Micheal Gruber.

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started The End of all things by John Scalzi