I want to be a god again!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lookingglassman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I love cheat codes! I usually will check to see if cheat codes exist for a game before I buy it. I love infinite power, lives, ammo, guns, etc.

The problem is most new games do not have any of these cheat codes. I remember games of the past having all kinds of cheats, but nowadays I'll be lucky if a game offers a code for a secret level.

Why is that? Why couldn't Deus Ex have a cheat that gave me unlimited ammo? Why couldn't I truly become a god in Infamous 1 & 2 where nothing could hurt me?

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because games are so easy these days that you don't need them. I already feel like a god running around with regenerating health and vita chambers.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Don't be lazy, play it properly or don't bother.

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I say if you have fun with the cheats on, why not use them? GTA San Andreas is awesome with the cheats on. I would rather finish a game without using cheats, but sometimes playing with them on can be tremendous fun.

But I'd never cheat on a multiplayer game, of course.

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

When I was younger, cheats were the in-thing, despite the fact that cheating, severely depletes the entertainment value of any particular game.

As I got older, I began to appreciate the challenge and achievement that one receives when playing through a game without cheating. Sure, if I'm really stuck I'll look things up sometimes, but I won't go looking for things to give me ridiculous abilities (outside of the games established parameters) that will surely negate the challenge of the game, and dampen my enjoyment factor.

I like games that have a certain open approach to solving challenges. I hate having to reload from a much earlier point because I wasted a particular ammo or item and therefore, I have no way of defeating the boss at the end of this stage.

6. Kelthaz

Playing in god mode might be fun for a couple of minutes, but I don't see the point in playing an entire game like that. If you remove the challenge from a game, what's the point in even playing it?

7. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Whats the point? Because after you beat a game like say GTA:SA, It's crazy fun to just go around a blow shit up without the fear of being taken out by some two-bit cop while your in the middle of your rampage! Or perhaps you never know when you might want a tank or jet to appear out of thin air. I always play a game without cheats first, I think thats just common sense. But after you beat it....Then you can really have fun with it thanks to cheats. Or atleast that used to be the case.

8. Kelthaz

Sure, that'd be fun for a few minutes to mess around with here and there, but playing the entire game in god mode? That's what I don't get.

9. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Get "From Dust"
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8l8kEI354[/yt]

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Or spawn a hovercraft on top of Mt. Chilead and see how far across the map you can glide/float in it. Also, jetpack spawning. JETPACK!

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

or giving a banshee tank physics and blowing up every car you bump into

12. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Favorite of mine was putting the whole state into Riot Mode, Arming the civies, and having them out for your blood. I called that "Black Hawk Down Mode". See how far you can get across map with limited ammo while only traveling on foot.......Ah, good times.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If its a Japanese RPG I'll use the infinite health cheat just because I don't want to have to grind all the enemies that are loitering around the area until I reach a high enough level to maybe survive a boss fight which adds possible hours of mind numbing grind to my playtime.

Oh and on Mass Effect I might use a cheat code to get a particular version of an armor at all its levels just so I can keep the same look through out the game so I can stay in the Onyx Armor till the end of the game and have a seamless shift into Mass Effect 2. I feel less guilty about that because the Onyx Armor isn't as protective as the other ones avilable in X.

14. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I've used cheat codes on plenty of games. I'm not one to waste my time trying to get past a certain stage where you have to do it in a certain way or you die. But as one commenter above stated games have gotten really easy to the point that you don't need them today. I started with the Konami code and never looked back.

15. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I used to have a lot of fun with my Game Genie back in the old NES days, and part of the reason that was fun was that not all of the effects were necessarily cheats. There were a lot of "unofficial" codes that would work perfectly well, although how they altered the game didn't necessarily mean you could play it normally. You could input a code for Super Mario Bros that would only let you play one level that looped forever, but it was a weird rendition of a normal level. One code for SMB3 wouldn't let you actually play the game, but it would cycle through the entire soundtrack. :lol:

Some of them would have been pretty game breaking if you could actually complete the game with them, but their effects prevented that. SMB2: all enemies commit suicide when they see you, but you can't get past the first world because the boss takes the key with him when he dies. :p It's rather funny otherwise.

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thread title made me think this was about a new version of Populus.

17. Kelthaz

Do you mean the minus world? The endless swimming level?

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

That was one, but there were several others that were possible too. A couple of different codes would produce an underwater version of 4-3 with green bricks.

19. Kelthaz

Very cool. I had a game genie for the NES, but I never used it much. I used it occasionally for granting invincibility or infinite lives, but I never knew that you could mess with the actual levels.

20. Kelthaz

I loved the cheats mode in Goldeneye. I remember turning Enemy Rockets on and having a blast (lame pun intended) playing through all the levels with explosions going on all over the place. The train level was impossible.