How many individual Star Trek adventures are there?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Plomeek Broth, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

I want to figure out the actual number.

In reference to ALL tv series including TAS, the films, and counting 2 part tv episodes as one adventure.

If you count each episode (including each TAS episode and each film) as one adventure, how many total adventures are there in Star Trek? To make it more complicated but accurate, 2 part episodes should count as one long episode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love Star Trek and will to my dying day and I love fellow fans as well.

I want to figure out the total so I can know how many days you could go watching one different adventure each day without seeing a repeat. Bet it's close to 2 years worth of days.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Go on Wikipedia pages for each series and work it out

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes the best way to have your own specialized list is to make it yourself. Happy counting, my friend.

4. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

It actually was fun

I own 407 of the 704

Time to start buying!

TOS 78
    TAS 22
    TNG 168
    DS9 170
    VOY 160
    ENT 94
    Films 12

That means you can watch one different adventure every day for close to 2 years.

Shouldn't ever get burnt out on any particular episode that way.

Except when I marathon repeat Threshold.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

You mention counting two-parter episodes as one adventure, some fans consider The Wraith of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyages Home to basically be a three-parter movie.

So only ten movie adventures?

:)

6. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bear in mind that if you ere to define 'adventure' as a standalone story, where something actually happens yu'd need to note that

1) some of DS9 episodes were more 'soap opera' like, rather than trek adventures
    2) Much of the latter DS9, and also ENT S3 were long arcs, rather than individual adventures, so this would reduce the number somewhat.

7. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a lot of Star Trek, no doubt about it. Problem is quality, not quantity. I recently gave Voyager another try on Netflix and found it as bad as I remember.

Seven of Nine isn't nearly as interesting as Berman and Braga obviously thought.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

170 doesn't seem right for DSN.

Emissary
    The Circle Trilogy
    The Maquis
    The Search
    Past Tense
    Imprbable Cause/The Die is Cast
    The Way of The Warrior
    In Pugatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light
    Image in the Sand/ Shadows and Symbols
    What You Leave Behind

Possible Ones

Favour The Bold/Sacrifice of Angels

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Mmm, if you count 2-parters as one, then surely you'd count the three 3-parters from ENT s4 as one too.
    Then what about the 10 part arc ending DS9. Or 'Azati Prime' onwards for ENT s3, that's 7 episodes... which lead straight in to 'Storm Front 1&2' so you could say it's 9...

The '94' for ENT would just be counting those episodes billed as "Parts 1 & 2" (Shockwave, Storm Front and In A Mirror Darkly) but there are eps that are 2 parters without been labelled as such, ie Demons/Terra Prime and Affliction/Divergence. Plus the above mentioned 3 parters. And never mind all the DS9 ones...

Basically the whole thing would get kinda blurry.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Don't you miss the days when multiple episodes were s mply called Part I, II etc.. instead of differing episode titles. :p

11. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually prefer the long story arcs rather than the episodic adventures. Realistically, most of TOS and TNG could be played out of order without any disturbance to continuity. Perhaps why I enjoyed DS9 and Ent S3 the most. I hope any new series has a strong sense of that as well. Not necessarily 2 or 3 parters, but story lines that carry over for 6 or 7 episodes.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Is "The Cage" counted in there? Regardless of how much footage they recycled for "The Menagerie", they aren't really the same viewing experience.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Do episodes have to be back to back to count as one adventure?

Sins of the Father - Reunion - Redemption could be considered all one adventure.

The Cage - The Menagerie as well.

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I much prefer episodic Star Trek to the long story arcs. I never watched soap operas and I never understood the fascination they held for others.

15. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

it's about the characters. Longer arcs that overlap episodes and pop up later on mimic real life. I'm watching TNG currently on netflix so I can use Robert Picard (1 episode) and Vash (2 eps) Both of those characters and their relationships could've been developed more and added depth the the story of Picard but in an episodic format, they pop in once and then we move on.

Without story arcs, you can play the episodes in any order and they'll still make sense. Aside from major changes such as Yar's death, and character introductions, there are very few issues you would run into if you just hit Shuffle when watching TNG

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't the new movie count as two adventures? Saving Nibiru at the start and the Khan stuff later. Then we get into all the episodes with totally random B-plots...

17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dominion War, by the most conservative definition, takes up 27 hours. Even a Bajoran day wouldn't be long enough.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I also prefer episodic to story arcs. I like sitting down and getting a complete story in an hour or two, I also like being able to watch a series as I chose too and not be forced to follow a long winded single story for fifteen episodes where very little happens in twelve of them. :shrug:

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

True! The Pineapple Arc on ENT deserves a session all its own.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Nor do I wathc SOap Operas, that doesn't mean I don't like arc based story telling. Both episodic and arc based story telling have their place.

Shows like NCIS are largely episodic based, whilst shows like B5 are more arc based. But even in an episodic show do we as the viewer expect some sort of continuity? esp. in a show whose premise lends itself towards a more arc based form of story telling?

SG-1 was another largely episodic show but they had a mythology which they developed and frequently called back to previous episode. Sure it had an overall arc to defeat the Gou'ald, the Ori, find the Ancietns etc..