Ghostbusters Comic Book

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It seems a new Ghostbusters comic book started up this month with a #1 issue having come out just a few days ago.

It's not too bad. The book starts off with an Exposition Dream with Ray dreaming a talkshow that introduces us to all of the Ghostbusters and what their characters are (Peter as the Doctor who's more talk and show, Egon as the over-thinking stiff, Ray as the eager scientist and Winston as non-doctorate everyman.)

The book seems to be set in the post-GB2 timeline, the events of that movie being blamed on Peter McNichol's character and the Ghostbusters, near as I can tell, are somewhat of a city-provided service sort of like how they're portrayed in the video game that came out last year.

Janine's character design is closer to her cartoon counterpart than it is the movie one, the rest of the Ghostbusters look like their movie versions, though the comic is a "stylized" type of art common in present-day cartoons rather than realistic human drawings.

The first story in the comic ends on a cliffhanger and then starts a short second story sort-of setting up an "arc" in the comic's series (again, making it appear the Ghostbusters are being made into a city-provided service overseen by a certain city official.)

It's not too bad of a read, actually. The "banter" and characterizations are more in line with the first movie than it is either the second movie or the cartoon, near as I can tell the book takes place in "present day", although everyone is still "young." It may be a possible continuity shift placing the events of the movies a few years ago rather than a couple of decades ago.

The firehouse, equipment and Ecto-1A are all nicely drawn and showcased (the Ecto-1A looks mostly like she did in the second movie though it is missing the fins over the rear fenders and it's the standard "no-ghost" symbol rather than the "2" "no-ghost" symbol.)

It's worth a look and read for Ghostbusters fans.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw that in the comic shop, and I wasn't sure what to make of it.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also supposed to be a John Belushi tribute/homage in the book as well. I meant to pick this up. Haven't thought much of IDW's one shots/specials. Hopefully the ongoing will be decent.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. Trekker4747

Yeah there's a John Belushi tribute in it.

During Ray's dream sequence, John Belushi shows up in it as Jake Blues. He reassures Ray that he did a "good" thing in selecting the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man as the form of The Destructor since that particular form limited The Destructor in how destructive it could be to just lumbering around and stepping on things.

5. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

CBR preview which includes the Belushi bit. Book's okay, but didn't feel it captured the tone of the films too closely...

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Art is pretty repulsive.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

This. It doesn't really work for the characters. Sort off cartoon meets web-comic (no offense to all the great web comics out there), to much so for my taste.

And the writing in the preview: Feels like they were going for the tone of the animated series, but missed the mark.

8. Admiral_Young

I checked out the first issue and enjoyed the story, didn't mind the art compared to some of the other Ghostbusters art work. I would disagree and think it does feel a bit like the films and maybe a darker version of the animated series. Haven't read issue two yet.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mind that art, but the more 'realistic' alt cover is horrible. Obviously they don't have likeness rights to the actors or it's some joke I'm not getting.

10. Admiral_Young

^ It might be a combination of the two. They didn't have the likeness rights so they decided to depict the characters in a cartoony manner of their film versions as a way to have fun with it.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanted to try this but the art has put me off for the ongoing and the mini's that preceeded this.
    A guy I know at the comic store has been pushing it on me though. He loved the Belushi bit and insisted I see it since I wasn't going to get it and wouldn't spoil anything for me should I get it later.
    He's the only guy I know reading it but says the story is good which backs up Trekker. Maybe as a cheap trade down the road.

12. Admiral_Young

I just finally finished issue two and am surprisingly really enjoying this story. The art continues to grow on me and it was nice to see Slimer. The bonus material at the end of the book was nice, I wonder if they're planning on putting together a handbook eventually? That would be cool but perhaps doubtful.

13. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You guys aren't kidding. With the drawing so generic, it's hard to tell who is supposed to be who. The only one of the four who stands out is Winston, and that's just because of the shading. The other three are random generic guys in Ghostbusters costumes.

This is a pass.

14. Trekker4747

The characters are pretty different looking to me. Peter's head is rounder and he has a widow's peak, Ray is slightly chubbier with a rounder head, Egon is taller, skinner and has glasses.

The artwork isn't great and could certainly be better but I don't find it that terrible.

15. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

The only character art I liked was that of Jake Blues... It captured Belushi's spirit pretty well (no pun intended)...

I loved the cartoon, but I would enjoy more realistic art for a comic.

16. Admiral_Young

I'm thinking IDW doesn't have the likeness rights and has decided to do caricatures instead. Sort of a fusing of their movie and animated likenesses.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't doubt your post at all, but it seems so weird to approve the comic and the franchise yet not approve of the likeness rights (again, like you pointed out, it's basically like the cartoon v2.0).

18. Admiral_Young

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Aren't the characters supposed to be based on how they looked in the video game? This whole comic is based off of the game-verse.

20. Trekker4747

The comic seems to be an extension of the video game verse which itself is an extension of the original movies (seeming more the first than the second.)

I've not given up on the book yet, still find it quite enjoyable.

The conclusion of the arc with Ray and Gozer trying to get him to select The Destructor was a good one.