Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

That's a good way to put it. There are events and there are mini-events (Shadowland, Ends of the Earth, Spider-Island...) which are most self-contained and don't impact other books/lines.

I guess my definition of an "event" is when the Avengers books cease doing their own stories and just become tie-ins.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny because it seems like everything Bendis has done in his run is being undone right now lol. I think it was House of UIster up thread who mentioned something like this.

Cassie Lang was recently returned in "Avengers World" by inverted Doom.

Ooooh. How I would love to attend/be a fly on the wall during a Marvel retreat week.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess, is that you should really judge these things on how much money you are expected to spend.

4. Guy Gardener

I hate that.

Scott Lang 12 months ago... "Reed is a gentleman explorer who doesn't have the heart to put you down, me, I'm different, I've been to prison, if you even look at me funny again Doom, I am going to beat you to death."

Oh.

That fucking Ant-Man movie.

Did they have to bring her back so that the movie would make sense?

Those ####s.

IMDB doesn't register a Cassie or Cassandra attached to the project.

####

http://www.themarysue.com/cassie-lang-ant-man-movie/

#### the ####ing ####ers.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

??? Bendis didn't kill Cassie Lang, Allan Heinberg did in Avengers: Children's Crusade. And to be fair, it was Bendis himself that started to"undo" a lot of his major developments (such as the deaths of Hawkeye, Vision and Wasp) before he even left the books.

As far as events and gimmicks go, I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm sick of 'em. Not interested in SamCap, She-Thor or "Superior" Iron Man. Gimmicks all. I have skipped the last two events entirely and haven't regretted it in the slightest.

My favorite books right now are quirky off-to-the-side books like Waid's Daredevil, She-Hulk, Fraction's Hawekye (all of which are ending) and Silver Surfer.

And with Secret Wars coming up, it feels as if the whole line is going to become one giant gimmick-event for an entire year. *sigh* I am honestly considering using Secret Wars as a jumping-off point. I can pick up the SW trade in a year just to see how this giant Hickman epic finally plays itself out and call it a collection.

6. Guy Gardener

I couldn't be bothered with Superior Iron Man.

Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick.

Oh.

Not a Gimmick?

Read the final issue of Axis to understand?

Sure.

In 2099, "currently", according to Bendis in the all-new x-men annual that came out this week, the Sorcerer Supreme of the Earthly Plane is Anthony Stark.

Stark referred to what is happening in Superior Iron Man currently as a "Heart rending Existential Crisis".

We could be looking at years of evil Iron-Man.

Is that a good thing?

7. Admiral_Young

"Thor" has been awesome, "Superior Iron Man" surprisingly so (thanks to Taylor's writing) , and All New Cap has been off to a decent start.

As for buying events. I stick to the main event book and whatever titles I'm reading that have their tie-ins.

Image has been a huge third option for me lately. I'm reading more Image books than DC right now and have been reading more Image titles than at any time in my life. They're doing so many great things, and I just got into Valiant.

One could argue that everything the big two are doing right now is a gimmick garnered to sales.

More than ever before there are multiple quality alternatives if you're growing sick of the big two.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I didn't even realize that; the Big Three (Cap, Thor, Iron Man) have all been replaced at the moment!

Obviously this "Superior Iron Man" schtick isn't going to last long since he's back to normal in "Time Runs Out".

As always, the new movie will mark the return to status quo for the character. So that means Iron Man will be restored in May 2015, Steve Rogers will be Cap again in May 2016, and Thor will be restored in July 2017.

9. Guy Gardener

I like Jarnbjorn, and keeping Thorr's hammer in his backpocket is hilarious. :)

Heroes Reborn Thor is visiting Fantastic Four at the moment, so his hammer is play too.

10. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

So in Hulk it looks like we're getting another Maestro storyline, as "Doc Green" dreams of being the Maestro.

For those who don't know, the Maestro was introduced in the 1990's miniseries Future Imperfect during the Peter David penned "merged Hulk" era, where the Hulk is brought into the future to battle an evil version of himself called the Maestro(All the other heroes are dead). The Maestro has appeared a few times since then (including a story arc shortly before Onslaught where the Merged Hulk went a bit nuts and called himself that).

11. Guy Gardener

Saying that (the original) Maestro was part of Bruce's mental illness is a little weak.

He was a hundred years older, and 95 of those years were during an apocalypse.

Of course, later when the Maestro just "turns up" (3 or 4 times so far?) in present day Bruce's head, that's just who Bruce thinks is the Maestro is, and is part of Banner's mental illness.

12. Admiral_Young

The Maestro is appearing in "Secret Wars" and Future Imperfect has a spot on Battleworld so I'm sure this is seeding things. Miguel is also going to encounter him after "Spider-Verse" is over.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So how about that: Bendis kills off both Cyclops and Magik, plus the mutant Cyclops was trying to recruit in the recent 'Uncanny X-Men.' Sure it's all going to be fixed by time travel via Eva, but it's still shocking to see their charred corpses near the end of the book.

I know Bendis gets a lot of guff for his work on the x-books, but I'm really enjoying the current storylines in both of his books. Though his penchant for lengthy plotting feels like the stories are being stretched out longer than they probably need to be.

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm liking bendis on X-Men too. Well, Uncanny X-Men. All New X-Men is ok, but the time travel displaced X-Men are starting to wear out their welcome for me. I don't dislike them, but outside of Jean grey and young Cyclops they don't really do anything, and none of them are super interesting at this point. Uncanny X-Men on the other hand I like a lot. Cyclops is an ass, but he really doesn't shy away from it anymore, and the students are more interesting than any of the time traveling X-Men.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I like Bendis X-Men but it's so horribly stretched out. Nothing happens in a given issue. He was a lot better at telling a story in Avengers.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Like I mentioned earlier, I can understand this complaint and see it a lot. But for some reason his plotting isn't bothering me. I love watching the stories unfold, even if it's a lot longer than other writers would handle it.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It came up from time to time during his Avengers run as well. There was one New Avengers arc during "Dark Reign", the one that ended with Osborn accidently blowing up his own house, that lasted six issues, but felt like it could've been told in four. The current Ultimate Universe arc in "All-New X-Men" feels like that to me as well, but that could just be my lack of interest in anything Ultimate. See also: his GotG arc where Carol Danvers joined the team.

His real problem is that he writes for the trade rather than the individual issues. His stories always seem to read better in one sitting rather than serialized.

18. Admiral_Young

It's his compressed writing style yep. Sometimes you don't really notice it when he's "on" like basically his entire Miles Morales run and since the Death of Peter Parker, and some parts of his "Avengers" run, but it's been very evident in at least "All New X-Men" and to some degree "Uncanny X-Men" (which is the better of the two books IMO).

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

he just can't write team books. period. his Avengers, Guardians, and X-Men work...terrible. his Daredevil and Powers run...great stuff.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Those were also written early in his career. His Moon Knight wasn't very good and that was written during the tail end of his Avengers run.