Improve the Third Season

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, I would have loved to have read his detailed insight on doin gthe series. Would have also loved to have met the man. By all accounts, whatever one thought of him on the job, he was a hell of a nice guy.

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But what would have relpaced the episode they never made? Now they'd be one short. They had an episode commitment to keep and something has to fill the whole in the schedule.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From my revisit:

4. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

But 1968 was not 1966. The actors in virtually any TV series that encompassed both years would have longer hair in 1968. Neither Shatner nor the behind-the-scenes staff would have seen anything wrong with Kirk having longer hair too; note also that the one "futuristic" element of the men's hairstyles on the show (the pointed sideburns) also became longer and bushier in the third season. At least Spock's hair wasn't longer...

5. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    The only thing that really bugs me about the Freiberger years is there was too much damn sex. Everybody was kissing everybody else! It was the same thing he did to Space:1999 which would've been a lot better if the women were actual characters and not somebody's girlfriend.

"Turnabout Intruder" did not portray women in an accurate light (to put it kindly) and I almost gave up on Star Trek after watching that one.

6. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Of course, you are right, but I simply had to post it. It was a happier Star Trek for me seeing Eddie lurking about in the background.

7. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

No doubt they would have been one short, and for that alone my vision comes off as imperfect, but where that episode is concerned.....I always feel like I need to apologize for it.

8. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Of course, you are correct.

Hey, the glass is of course half full. At least he didn't do a "Robert Reed". :techman:

9. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Here's one I forgot.

They should have had at least a couple of 3rd season episodes where Kirk wore his green command tunic. I loved the look of that thing. It stood out. It was all but a memory during season 3.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek has certainly presented enough males with psychological problems, women aren't free of suffering from such affections.

How did Janice not "portray women in an accurate light?"

:)

11. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

We only have Janice Lester's own assertion that gender bias kept her from starship command.

This from someone who had already caused the deaths of several people and tried to kill several more. Frankly, I think she was rejected mainly because people at Star Fleet saw that she was crazier than a s###house rat.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, there's Lester's dialogue, plus the reality that we never saw a woman in command of a starship (or, after "The Cage," even close to commanding one).

13. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

How many other (UFP) starship commanders, past and present, did we actually see in the course of TOS?

Pike, Decker, Wesley, Tracy, Stone. A few other "maybes".

There were references to "Captain Harris" of USS Excalibur, and to the Captain (unnamed) of USS Intrepid, but no clues as to gender.

I totally agree that there was a bias against showing women in command during TOS's run. Trekverse-wise, the fact that we never see them does not prove their non-existance. There are several ethnic groups (and alien races) that we never saw (or heard of) as being TOS starship captains either, but I presume that they existed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ Right on. About the lack of female captains--something about absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Or something like that.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If you choose to ignore Lester's dialogue, it's true that there isn't any conclusive evidence that women did not command starships in the "world" of Star Trek. All we can say is that on the television show, Star Trek, women were not allowed to be in command.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But the absence of evidence is the absence of proof.

In Enterprise, there was a Captain Hernadez. But there was a century of separation between that and Turnabout. There was a Female Captain in The Voyager Home (forget her name), but there was a good dozen years separating that and Turnabout. The 1960's writer (writers) of Turnabout could have imagined a future with no female Human Starship Captains because there were no female naval ship's Captains in that present, certainly none in the US Navy. We believe there will be Female Captains because we have them in our society today.

Even today, a women in command of a US Warship is rare.

But what we have are two groups projecting their current societies into the future. In the time period of Turnabout, Human society could have been in a time period where there were in fact no females in Starship commands. It might have been that way for decades. Women could perhaps have obtain the rank of Captain, but only through non-"fleet" commands.

Societies change, it would be silly to assume that what we have today will never alter from it's "current" form.

:)

17. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More money, better timeslot, GR more hands on, better story editing, more locations. But keep the more quirky ones and keep the elimination of humor eps. Overall I'm fine with S3.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Whoa, that was originally an episode idea? Fascinating.[/QUOTE]

Yep. ADF reveals this in the new serialised essay that prefaces the recent trade reprint omnibuses of TAS adaptations. I sent a message to ADF hoping he'd still remember the title of his two-parter script, but he said it was gone from his memory - and his old files.

19. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absence of proof is not proof of absence. ;)

20. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only way to get more Yvonne Craig is to have less costume. Unlikely for 1960's television.