New Series Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins January 17, 2017

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by MvRojo, Nov 2, 2015.

1. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Re: New Series Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins January 17, 201

Last summer there were serious rumors that CBS was shopping a Star Trek project around to other online streaming sites like Netflix, so I'm not surprised the show will be online. My guess is that Star Trek is the first announced of a few first run shows CBS is planning for its on demand service.

I'm Canadian so I'm interested to see what format we will see the show in. In that Crave here in Canada has exclusive rights for most Trek content.

2. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, which I guess isn't terrible considering there's currently no exclusive content.

3. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I hope so.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I heard Worf is going to be the main character.

:devil:

5. Tai

Tai Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know what's funny? Back in 2006 when Enterprise was getting cancelled most of the fans trying to save it advocated hard for crowd-funding the show. The concept was too nascent at that time for the television executives to take it seriously, but 10 years later that's EXACTLY what we're getting.

Now it really IS in the control of the fans. Die-hard fans can literally pay for the show. Which, makes me think, God forbid that the show is in danger of cancellation, can we sign up for multiple subscriptions to artificially inflate the numbers? Will there be a guy paying $120.00 a month in subscription cost and streaming Star Trek on 20 different tabs of Chrome? I can see it already.

6. Warbird

Warbird Ensign Newbie

Any word on what timeline it will be going with? I have no interest in the new Trek films, I hope it's set a few years after DS9/Voyager.

I take it they didn't go with Chronicles of Worf or what ever it was called.

7. Tai

I would love it if it was set in 2394, which would be the "current" year in 2017 (Star Trek: Nemesis having taken place in 2379). That'd be my dream. But who knows.

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't imagine the Worf or Tuvok shows getting much traction with the current powers that be.

I HOPE they go for a Post-24th century show of some type where the Federation has utilized Slipstream to shorten distances and fill in lots of gaps.

I'll take a series like Vanguard though too. Something HBO might do in adapting Star Trek.

Regardless of what happens, the same old shit isn't going to fly. If they just try to turn the current movies into a TV series.... it's going to be a fucking disaster.

Action/Adventure is all well and good, but Star Trek has always been about Characters. Hopefully there's someone still involved that remembers that.

9. XManRCJ

XManRCJ Ensign Red Shirt

NY Times: "A new movie in the film franchise (with a new crop of actors playing the characters on Kirk and Spock’s Enterprise), called “Star Trek Beyond,” is planned for release next summer, but is “not related” to this latest TV series, CBS said."

Makes sense since the Paramount/CBS split. Lets CBS stay away from the new timeline Abrams started. If they stick to the original timeline, the only things they have to use from XI is Spock gone missing and Romulus blown up. I think it be cool if the pilot starts with "Previously On Star Trek:" shows the destruction of Romulus scene from XI and goes from there. I don't care if the ship isn't the Enterprise, but I'd hope they use the history and just start the show post-2387.

10. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By the same logic you could argue 2316 which would be 50 years from TOS Season 1.

11. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

That makes sense. I come at from a perspective of cancelled cable for streaming only. I think the big difference from Netflix/Amazon/Hulo compared to CBS is they can take the hit of people only subscribing to watch one show (and to be fair, Amazon Prime main selling point is the shipping. Not the streaming). CBS has a lot less room for error with the cancelling of subs given their low number.

I did just come across the interesting numbers on FiveThirtyEight. Though I wonder if the answers would be different if they limited the questions to the new movie.

12. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll do it here again:

"Is not related" could mean a few different things.
    • It could mean that it's going back to the Primeverse. Sure. That's a possibility. But, I think it's the least likely scenario.
    • It could mean that it will be set in the same universe but not deal with any of the characters or situations involved in the story told in Beyond. Paramount has made a mint with the two Abramsverse movies. Why wouldn't CBS want to capitalize on that?
    • It could mean that it is going to be something completely different. They may be bold and really make Star Trek a multiverse.

13. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

My guess that it will take place in another alternate timeline where they can have references to the other shows and movies but not have have to worry about continuity.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That is indeed a third possibility.

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Without fan feedback during the production?
    Could CBS produce a 13-episode Trek series in a vacuum and release it all at once? Why would they release it all at once instead of 1 episode per week?
    Which would be best for Trek and for CBS All Access subscriptions?
    Will there be advertisers ?

16. Tai

I'd love a 2316 show, but unfortunately the opportunity for cameos is limited due to the fact that we've lost many of the beloved actors from the original series. Whereas a show in 2394 would have opportunity for every actor in TNG/DS9/VOY to appear.

17. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

I imagine CBS keeps with the traditional model and does one episode a week. They're going to need to/want to stretch out those subscriptions as long as possible. They don't have the numbers of Netflix to fall back on for people to subscribe for one month than cancel.

18. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS All Access is the broadcast equivalent to HBO Go and HBO Now; if you're subscribed to the service, you get instant access to a growing back-log of CBS-owned/affiliated television programs as well as everything that CBS currently airs.

19. XManRCJ

XManRCJ Ensign Red Shirt

Didn't Abrams and CBS have a merchandising fight? Like Abrams wanted more Movie character stuff made and for CBS to lay off the TOS stuff and CBS was like "do you know how much $$$ we make on this stuff? NO!" So since then, Paramount and CBS have pretty much stayed out of each others way. I'd guess it's going to stay that way until we have another Trek based off TV show movie series.

I'm going to go with: back in the regular timeline, just not a Enterprise-(fghij) crew since it's not a broadcast show. That was CBS can milk cameos galore from the five shows if they choose & since I'm assuming it won't be a 26 episode season, we don't have to spend any more time than a minute of screen time saying "Borg haven't been seen since Voyager came back/Dominion haven't been seen since the war" etc.

20. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping that the series isn't tied so closely with CBS All Access that it can't survive if the subscription model bombs. Sliding it over to CBS proper, or even shopping it out to cable channels, might let it survive what I expect will be a rough start: I know that I, for one, do not need ANOTHER subscription service.