I miss Star Trek.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dale Sams, Dec 29, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

More SPACE shows, more more!!

Enough with the gangsters and ghosts.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Have you tried ONCE UPON A TIME? That's a full twenty-two episodes a season. And my girlfriend and I have really been enjoying it. (We're doing a rewatch of Season One right now.)

Plus, even with the shorter cable shows, there's so much to watch these days that it's hard to keep up even with just the genre entries. (I'm way behind on VAMPIRE DIARIES and THE LAST RESORT already, and we're about get new waves of MERLIN and BEING HUMAN and LOST GIRL and FACE/OFF. . .)

3. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a new Star Trek show will have to avoid some the pitfalls Voyager fell into, boring characters (Harry Kim, Chakotay), cliched stories and bad continuity, in order to succeed.

Star Trek was in a rut in the late 90s to early 2000s, they have to get a different play book to work in today's TV landscape.

4. teacake

I want to see real relationships and sex. And WIT.

We all pat ourselves on the back over how witty bits of Trek are. The EMH, Garak's little ripostes.. but compared to 99% of current TV it's a very sad outing in the wit department. Sharper writing is needed.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That doesn't bother me, especially on AMC because when one show is ending it's season another good one is starting up. Sometimes I've found 26 to 28 eps a season for Trek is too much cause there isn't enough creative imagination for episode topics to carry on for long. TNG, DS9 & Voy seemed to be reaching for story topics by s6 or 7 because they used it all up doing 28 eps a season. IMO DS9 would have never had to introduce Vic or Ezri in order to create topics to stretch the seasons out.

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously? 99% of current TV is witty? :wtf:

I'd say even the worst of Voyager, Enterprise or TNG S1 is better written than the majority of modern television.

7. teacake

Okay I should have said "current good tv" of which there is an abundance. I don't actually get tv so I'm only watching stuff that has been filtered out by you, my friends, on the internet.

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Although I do find Beyer a good writer when it comes to stories and I really appreciate that she brought back Janeway, I must admit that I'm not so happy with the scenario in the Voyager books. There are.....too many positive factors missing compared with the first 15 books.

And I'm not that fond of the scenario in the Abramsmovies either.

What I would like to see is a new series with new characters set in the 24th century.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.

10. Lynx

:eek:

Then everything is over! :wah:

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.

11. Greg Cox

Well, there's always DOCTOR WHO. That could keep you busy for decades! :)

12. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't worry... your Kes blow-up doll will outlive us all.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a couple of questions on these books.

Firstly, do you have to read the ones before them (Homecoming/Farther Shore and Spirit Walk) to catch whats going on?

Secondly, is Harry Kim still Security Chief?

One of these is an annoyance and the other is a deal breaker.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, you don't need to have read the prior books. I didn't read them all.
    Although events spin off from big things in TNG's Before Dishonor and the big crossover thingie Destiny, they're not needed at all.

Yes, Harry's still Voyager's security chief (although he's matured somewhat), and Tuvok's absent (on the USS Titan)

15. Lynx

Sorry, I don't own one of those. Maybe you have one to sell?

16. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...and I still haven't seen Babylon Five.

17. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is talk of a new Star Trek animated series, though one would assume it would be set in the rebooted universe.

18. Greg Cox

And don't forget FARSCAPE!

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, yes, start with Farscape!

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

People don't like Stargate Universe? I thought it was at least much better than Atlantis.

Exploring where everyone has gone before? Dude, four words: Trans-galactic warp drive. There's a whole big universe out there, maybe the next galaxy doesn't even have humanoids. Maybe it has giant sentient dog creatures, or it's dominated by planet-sized space beings, or goo creatures (Ones that can't take solid form). For all the stuff about tolerating other creatures we never met sentient creatures even as different as we see in the Ender series, don't you want to see that story told of creating diplomacy with creatures who are completely alien to us without making them superior energy beings?

But yeah, Viacom certainly has no intention of telling more stories in the 24th century. Which I think is a waste of a universe. And I wish they hadn't established the stupid precedent that everyone and their grandmother has a time machine in the 29th century.

And I'm sure the novels are great, but here's the thing about reading Star Trek novels, IMO. When I have free time, there are two moods I'm in. Short attention span mood and long attention span mood.

Long attention span mood leads me to want to read novels, and short attention span mood wants me to watch TV. But when I'm in long attention span mood, I lean toward long attention span books. That is not Star Trek.

I'd recommend Babylon 5 over Farscape. It has more emotional content. Then again didn't get that far into Farscape, maybe it has more as the series goes on. It seemed to me a kind of show like Stargate where they just recycle common space opera storylines with their own unique style and attitude.