50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If you live in a country like us Americans, with Adverts/commercials, then it will be likely be longer than 90 minutes ;)

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if its simulcast, it will likely NOT have adverts.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

You may well be right. And, ultimately, if its an enjoyable story that fits the length well, I won't be complaining afterwards!

But, I do think that a story that fits 90 minutes well can be a bit more epic. And, we need epic for the 50th!

Mr Awe

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think it's ever simulcast in that sense. We've had BBC America show episodes on the same day the BBC debuted them, but not at the exact same time, due to the time-zone difference. Not only is the US several hours later, but Doctor Who airs here as a prime-time show, whereas I think it's late afternoon/early evening in the UK.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Now this time as with the annoucement of Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor it supposed to be simulcast at the same time, so it'll be on at 3PM EST here.

6. Sindatur

I believe I remember the Capaldi announcement having commercials. So, while it may start at the same time, about 20 minutes in, I believe BBCA will fall behind when they start showing commercials (Once it's started, there's probably much less danger of people being spoiled, because they'll be watching the show, not looking for spoilers on what's happening 20 minutes later, etc) Maybe that's incorrect, but, I'm pretty sure I remember commercial breaks on the Capldi announcement.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The BBC has announced they're doing a worldwide simulcast of the anniversary special at 7 pm GMT, 2 pm EST, some way early time in Australia. I don't know if it's going to be a single feed going out from London (so no commercials) or if separate broadcasters will have the program ahead of time so they can format it, say for commercials, as necessary.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome!

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, the 50th Anniversary will be on at 11:00 AM in the morning? That's fantastic. :techman:

I may still have to DVR it though.

10. Sindatur

Well, YEAH, of course you have to record it in some kind of way, even if you watch it live. How much would it suck, once it was over, if it turns out to be the absolute best episode ever, and you don't have it recorded to watch it a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or 5th....) time? :D

11. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love the poster!

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Same already got one as my desktop background.

13. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Might have it as my background on my laptop!

14. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

They're really making the old guy have a faux hawk? Doesn't give me high hopes for Twelve's look.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Granted I saw the annoucement in a theatre but there wasn't any commericals when I saw it.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Well it looks like time can be rewritten after all

:D

What was originally planned for 60 minute anniversary special is now 75

17. Mr Awe

^ I don't think fans have a lot of power, but I do wonder if the backlash over the 60 minutes when this was first spread around earlier this year has something to do with it?

The filming schedule was designed to produce a 60 minute story so they're stretching the footage to get to 75 minutes.

Mr Awe

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe there will be a 15-minute flashback montage of key moments from the series' history...

19. Mr Awe

^ Great point! That, or 15 minutes worth through out.

20. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're wrong, the Capaldi announcement didn't have commercials when BBC America first aired it. I don't know if they aired it again later with commercials though.

It's hard to say if The Day of the Doctor will have commercials though since it's much longer, maybe they will have some company sponsor the show and show an extended commercial for them before and after the show, and occasionally show Sponsored by "XXXXXX" at the bottom of the screen during the show so they don't have to have any commercial breaks.