Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Just thinking about these makse me weak in the knees. I had no idea... :eek:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, they're available to buy, but, IIRC, it's pretty expensive, compared to the viewership/Support the PBS stations would get for buying/showing reruns of the new Series

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's only 2 1/2 years old, but it's not very powerful. Still, it doesn't have much of a problem with streaming video most of the time.

4. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of the Unknown is inevitably pretty variable: of the ones I've seen, No Place Like Earth is pretty dreadful (the producer wanted to bury it later in the series, but the BBC bosses insisted on opening with the John Wyndham story, as he was the writer even the non-SF fans among them had heard of), Counterfeit Man and Stranger in the Family both excellent, Time in Advance is variable (some dodgy model work and very SF acting in places), The Machines Stops very impressive (despite some very 'silver shiny costumes' design). Unfortunately the others I've seen all come from season 4, when a new producer restyled it as a paranormal anthology, and while the missing Nigel Kneale script looks to have been excellent, some of the others are... well, the Deathday adaptation took so many plot liberties that the original short story writer brought a legal suit, while To Lay a Ghost is about a woman who was raped in childhood who's haunted by the ghost of a medieval rapist, and the pun in the title gives away the distasteful twist in the tail.
    I wish more of seasons two and three survived, they look as if they were excellent: the initial teething problems worked out, but with the proper SF spirit of the first season.

Unfortunately attempts to release the surviving episodes have hit the inevitable rock of rights issues (oh, and BTW, those 'reviews are frequently based on seeing them at screenings in the mid-1980s, so reliability of my memories may vary!).

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Is the version of 1984 being talked about different than this one?

6. diankra

That's the one being talked about, the others being the 1956 film with the 'happy' ending, and the 1984 film with John Hurt and the Eurythmics soundtrack.

7. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

"Compared to the new series" isn't really the issue, since there aren't many stations running that either. Doctor Who on PBS has been in decline since the early 90s, when VCRs and commercial VHS releases of the series meant people who wanted to see it didn't need PBS to run it indefinitely. And it probably didn't help that the series was out of production.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know if it ever got to '80s Distribution Levels, or if it's still occurring, but, from what I understand, for the Eccelston and Tennant Years, there were quite a few PBS Stations doing well with those Series.

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

11. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the shames about Out of the Unknown is that even if lost episodes do wind up being recovered they're unlikely to see the light of day via any official release as the BBC have, according to Andrew Pixley in a few posts over the years at GB, no interest in releasing even what they already have of the series.

Apparently, negotiating new deals with all the authors/author's estates involved with the series to allow for some form of home media release would be (in Worldwide's eyes) too expensive to be viable. Being no legal expert I'm not sure why deals with the authors of the original stories being adapted would be so much more expensive than any other writer of a TV show of a similar vintage, but it basically means that (bar an extreme change of circumstances) it's never going to happen.

Which is a shame as an anthology is the sort of show that won't get hurt too badly by not having all the episodes to put out.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that WETA in Washington was showing the Tennant series as recently as a year ago on their WETA UK HD station. (Which, to be frank, shows more British programming than BBC America.)

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Probably because they have to make deals with both the original author and the screenwriter who adapted it.

Well, that depends. Anthologies, by their nature, are of inconsistent quality. If the surviving ones happen to be mostly the good ones, then it isn't hurt too badly, but if the surviving ones are mostly the mediocre to bad ones, then it doesn't come off too well.

14. diankra

And with any film producers who might have taken an option on the original writer's work since the BBC's rights to adapt them expired 40-odd years ago.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There are a few others still showing various new series episodes: see the USA section of This Week in Doctor Who's channel list for some of them. And as Sindatur says, there were quite a few more once upon a time (though still, I imagine, fewer than ran the classic series when it was current). But my point was that the classic series didn't disappear from PBS because the new series came in, though I imagine the temporary sale ban had a last straw effect in a lot of places.

16. Allyn Gibson

While not about Doctor Who, Beatles Examiner has up an article about some of the other things that might have been discovered in Africa, like the Beatles' appearance on "Juke Box Jury."

17. diankra

More Marco Polo shenanigans, taken with a hefty pinch of salt: there's someone who's been trying to post (what they claim to be) the first few minutes of Marco Polo on first youtube, and now DailyMotion, all day, and continually having it taken down. Probably just a hoaxer (I understand that Levine is already breaking Twitter in response so if so, he's got what he wanted), but there's an outside chance that it's for real, and it might bounce the BBC into bringing forward an announcement (btw, the 50th anniversary of the first episode going out is 22nd Feb, which is just before the DVD release of Web of Fear, which would be an irresistible chance for two-for-one press coverage) if there is anything to announce.

18. Allyn Gibson

I saw this begin to unfold on Twitter last night. It's been one very strange chapter in what's already been a very strange story.

Levine's going off on everything. 2011 for when he first got wind off it. BBC Radio Wiltshire. Phil Morris. The BBC in general.

This is so bonkers it's madder than Mad Jack McMadd.

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

BBC should just either confirm or deny to stop the BS. Instead they're glued to an inflexible PR schedule, at least judging by Fear and Enemy.

Mr Awe

20. Allyn Gibson

And, unsurprisingly, this turned out to be a Rick-Roll. :)

No, I'm not going to link to where it finally ended up.