What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by I am not Spock, Feb 4, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Good thing you can't get STDs from masturbation.

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

If you do New Orleans right, it will be.

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

This is why the new movies aren't being made for Star Trek fans, and that fact needs to be pointed out in every interview.

4. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

You have to remember in world war 2 Germany as a country was devastated by the allies including Berlin which was flattered to the ground. Who says that after world war 3 all country's and capital city's were devastated and then rebuilt?? From the trailers we've seen and pics of London and San Francisco with new buildings built around the old ones e.g St Paul's Cathedral. IMO every country still remains the same and has a goverment to run it including starfleet and UFP Buildings in every country that joined it as well .??

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

OTOH, we saw a few quiet San Francisco streets in ENT and DS9, a few quiet New Orleans streets in DS9 (which looked suspiciously similar to the SF ones:p), Picard's vineyard and a resteraunt in Paris in TNG and a view from Archer's hotel window in NYC in ENT. None of which were exactly the kind of places you'd have flags waving. The only place where a flag was seen was Starfleet a academy, and of course they'd fly the colours of the UFP.

6. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've been the USA several times on holiday and I noticed that the 1st time I went I noticed a lot of star and stripes everywhere so when I returned home I started to notice our flag more than ever. Also in this film there are a lot of British actors and actress cumberbatch Noel Clarke and I think Alice eve is also British perhaps a homage to them from JJ also JJ make like the likes of London and the UK !!!

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we see a city in any Trek show, we can assume it wasn't totally destroyed in that war, otherwise it wouldn't be there. It would take at least a couple of hundred years to completely rebuild a major city from the ground up, especially after World War III.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. The American flag is everywhere, now. Used to be traditional to just fly the flag over government buildings (federal, state, local), schools, post offices, and other official-type buildings. Now, lots of private businesses fly it. The Bob Evans restaurant chain is known for flying huge American flags outside its restaurants. McDonalds flies American flags. For a lot of companies, I'm not sure it's so much for patriotic reasons as it is commercial.

On topic, a British flag in 2258 could convey anything British. Even if the national governments are no longer totally sovereign, the people and their symbols still exist. National feelings still exist. (Chekov is a proud Russian, and Scotty is a proud Scotsman.)

What "world government" republican-democracy would make nations do away with flags, anyway?

9. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not as if the political structure of the Federation made any sense before STiD. Why would it now?

10. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

In the prime timeline, weren't we told that Geordi was from something called the African Confederation or something? Clearly political subdivisions still exist in the 24th century, so it's even more likely they'd be around in the 23rd.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially when a member of the Royal Family gets married. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Aside from the Scotsman and the Russian in the original series . . . . :)

Seems like business as usual to this fan.

13. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

What's the big issue?

Every sub-national unit in the world usually posses a flag. Hell, even cities often have their own flag.

It's highly implausible to assume that United Earth doesn't possess any administrative subdivisions.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we saw a 24th century city completely identical to its 20th century appearance, we could assume it was rebuilt as a museum piece, with great expenditure of resources for supposed great profit, and in a short period of time.

However, the only museum piece we ever saw was New Orleans, or at least a few city blocks of it. Cambridge had been "ruined" by the liberal addition of modern buildings, so the odds of it being a rebuilt/restored museum are low. Ditto for San Francisco, in all its Trek incarnations. Any city that flaunts a mixture of old and new buildings is probably a true WWIII survivor where the old buildings are the bona fide originals...

Probably the war spared major First World cities which had defenses in place, but devastated the even larger Third World cities that did not. Small towns like San Francisco would be irrelevant to the total death count anyway: we never saw any part of Mexico City, Cairo or Beijing remaining, never mind possible emergent supercities in the southern hemisphere.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Small town? San Francisco is the 14th Largest City in the US

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The novel Lost Era: The Sundered said one of the first nuclear bombs deployed in WWIII detonated over London, destroying it and killing everyone. The more recent DTI: Watching the Clock (which puts DTI HQ in Greenwich, London) retconned it into a high-altitude detonation which knocked out London's power via EMP but didn't obliterate the city.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

QUIDS...IN...SPAAAAAAAAACE!!!!

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why San Francisco/Oakland? Why not the entire Bay Area? It's pretty much one large megacity from the Golden Gate to South San Jose and around the South Bay and up north again to San Pablo Bay.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I honestly don't know? I'm just the messenger.